Armor Clarification/Feedback

In various tests of the value of armor, a few things became apparent:

1) Armor is effectively 1:1 with hp for most guns when not shot in the head (I don't particularly care about 1-3 damage differences on a torso shot for this post)
2) Headshot damage is greatly reduced by armor
3) Armor stops being effective against headshots at a certain threshold
4) Armor across all classes has the same damage reduction values
5) Randomized weapon damage values lead to largely variable outcomes

The primary gun used for testing was P3, which hopefully will also go to show how ridiculous it is and how ridiculous this odd threshold is.

For Arc, Mandalorian, BH, Hero (base 100 hp high armor classes):
P3 shots to the head will always kill when below ~39 armor.
P3 shots to the head will never kill when above 45 armor.

When you adjust these values, something very odd happens. Seemingly, when a class reaches 45 armor it acts as a toggle/threshold wherein P3 headshot damage is significantly reduced. This is across all classes that can reach 45 armor, and has nothing to do with total possible armor, total hp, current hp etc. If a class has 45 armor, they initiate damage reduction against headshots.

How significant is this damage reduction?
A Hero at 100/45 will survive a headshot with anywhere from ~50-60 hp.
A Hero at 100/44 will survive a headshot with anywhere from ~3-14 hp.

These numbers aren't exact due to the extreme damage variance that occurs. 100/39 can both die and survive with ~10hp depending on your luck. Without being able to go into the code it's too much work to find more exact numbers.

I truly expect this to be a surprise to even some devs, as a recent topic about wookiees resulted in a couple contradictory posts and eventually Mace posted some code on the effectiveness of armor. These tests show that armor has a sort of switch that can be toggled when it is broken, and that it isn't simply up to 50% damage reduction based on the source, as was previously posted.

These tests for the most part only used P3, which itself is an extremely high damage gun that could mess with the actual outcome which might not occur with other guns. For example, 2 quick tests with E-11 showed that a secondary fire headshot on a clone at 80/45 left the clone at 80 hp (secondary did 45 armor) and also a headshot at 80/44 left the clone at 77 hp (45 armor damage and 3 hp). The actual mechanics or thresholds may vary from gun to gun, but something spooky is definitely occuring.

Practically, this means that any class that can't break 45 armor is completely at the mercy of a P3 user at any given point during a round. A hero that grabs armor 2 instead of armor 3 and starts at 100/45 that randomly gets kicked by a teammate for 2 damage now will possibly die from a single P3 headshot, while another armor 2 hero would survive with up to 60 hp.

help
edit: tildes (~) are showing up as (-) ~ - ~ - plz fix

How significant is this damage reduction?
A Hero at 100/45 will survive a headshot with anywhere from ~50-60 hp.
A Hero at 100/44 will survive a headshot with anywhere from ~3-14 hp.

It is curious why the 1 point of armor creates such a drastic difference in the resulting headshot damage...

R.I.P if you don't run 45+ armor :p

Very important post, the devs better look into this quick. It makes sense though, I was dying way too quick as soldier and ET even while at full armor.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Glad you guys finally noticed this. I think I had a conversation with Stassin about it needing to be fixed a while ago but I don't think any work has been done.

If I remember correctly from that conversation, it isn't about the armor you have, its more about the damage points done to you based on your current armor. (If you have 8 armor and someone does 6 damage it will be fine). So yes below 45 you will get knocked hard by P3. The problem lies in the damage transfer between health and armor (So when more damage is done than armor exists) the armor won't properly mitigate the damage.

Glad you guys finally noticed this. I think I had a conversation with Stassin about it needing to be fixed a while ago but I don't think any work has been done.
well its been obvious for months (me recently complaining about p3 and getting told to dodge better by you!!!!) but finding some absurdly specific threshold is certainly new

anyway, tl;dr: only play classes that either have p3 or can get over 45 armor

embrace the p3 meta

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
well its been obvious for months (me recently complaining about p3 and getting told to dodge better by you!!!!) but finding some absurdly specific threshold is certainly new

You still have to dodge better, fixing it will only allow you to survive one more shot. Also check my edit, that number only works for P3 and nothing else.

You still have to dodge better, fixing it will only allow you to survive one more shot. Also check my edit, that number only works for P3 and nothing else.
yes, as stated in my post the exact value is for p3, as e-11 secondary didn't do the same thing.

fixing it will be more substantial, as being headshot below 45 armor will allow you to tank additional chest shots that you otherwise would be completely crippled by

far more substantially, solds/ets will actually be able to fight p3 because they wont get 1shot at max hp/armor

yes, as stated in my post the exact value is for p3, as e-11 secondary didn't do the same thing.

fixing it will be more substantial, as being headshot below 45 armor will allow you to tank additional chest shots that you otherwise would be completely crippled by

far more substantially, solds/ets will actually be able to fight p3 because they wont get 1shot at max hp/armor
there's a reason you noticed that under 45 armor would normally kill you, its because p3's base damage is 45, assuming that armor would negate the modifier for headshots or least reduce it that would explain why you would survive above 45 and why you would die under(knowing the headshot multipliers for every weapon would be nice) 45

not sure exactly how to calculate base damages, its actually pretty annoying/confusing

shooting an unarmored target in the foot yields 15-16 damage with an e-11 primary, which is not the listed damage from mace's spreadsheet. torso shots do 34-37 or so

secondary to the foot does 13-14, to the torso 29-32

p3 to the foot does 26-27, to the torso around 60

so for the numbers from the spreadsheet to make sense, they'd have to be dev only/code only base values that are not representative of ingame values, unless im doing something completely wrong

you might be onto something but its very difficult to test that

edit: t21 primary did 126 damage to a 100/100 mandalorian and killed a 100/57 mandalorian

t21 ingame base damage is never 60, as p3 is never 45, but those are the listed values

so this could be right, but definitely means weapon base damage is never reflected ingame at its actual value

Last edited:
Very important post, the devs better look into this quick. It makes sense though, I was dying way too quick as soldier and ET even while at full armor.

It makes sense to me that a soldier can get one tapped, but it should not be the same for ET (if a change were made).

so for the numbers from the spreadsheet to make sense, they'd have to be dev only/code only base values that are not representative of ingame values, unless im doing something completely wrong...so this could be right, but definitely means weapon base damage is never reflected ingame at its actual value

It is almost as if each weapon has their own separate head, foot/leg, chest, hand multipliers.

StarWarsGeek

Internal Beta Team
not sure exactly how to calculate base damages, its actually pretty annoying/confusing

so for the numbers from the spreadsheet to make sense, they'd have to be dev only/code only base values that are not representative of ingame values, unless im doing something completely wrong

I believe almost all of the base damage values are listed in the in-game library. You'll never see them do their base damage ingame because none of the multipliers for hit location are 1. Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, these hit location modifiers aren't actually listed in the library. I think they were listed in a changelog the last time they were touched, but I don't remember what version/patch that was in.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This is getting fixed in 1.4. Not going to go into details but what the OP described was accurate, there was such a threshold on armor compared to incoming damage, which when reached caused hit location modifiers to be reduced for the entire incoming damage (and not reduced when not reached thus a sudden difference in damage taken when going from 45 armor to 44 armor), and it was mostly apparent for headshots due to other hit location modifiers being pretty low. The new calculation will remove this threshold completely and just apply normal hit location modifiers for your HP and reduced ones for your armor (as opposed to applying normal/reduced modifiers on the whole incoming damage based on some threshold).