ARC Grappel Hook?

Zed

Giving the ARC class a grapple hook would help balance teams on maps like Corellia. Currently, Jedi have no class apart from Jedi themselves with good vertical, whereas the Sith have Mandalorians who can use their jetpacks. The Grappel Hook could be added in multiple ways. It could be an attachment to the Westar M5, or could be a standalone gadget. The grapple hook is canon in the Star Wars Universe, so it makes sense to have it in the game.

The Grappel Hook could also be used as a tool for pulling enemies off ledges, like force pull. This would be balanced if it has a long recharge time, such as 30 seconds before it can be used again. This recharge time would also serve to combat the potential problem of trolling.
latest

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I like the idea, but it would have to be vastly different from the grappling hook in ja+ for example. That was some buggy crap. It would take some time to implement, but I wouldn't mind it. As it stands it seems arc is a slightly underplayed class and maybe this would help popularize it a bit more.

So how would it work? Are you able to attach yourself to a wall and camp in an unlikely spot like a sith using wall-grab? Or is it purely for propelling arcs forward? Can you use it to divebomb imp team with rocket build? or does taking grappling hook lock out the possibility of buying a rocket launcer?

How would it work if used on a flying mando? Pull arc along? Pull/stop mando? How would it work attaching to deka/sbd or a sith? Does it pull arc towards attached player/model or is it as you said a pull for arcs?

You'd have to think carefully about many factors before trying to code and implement it, because there are many things to balance. Still, I like the idea ;) but it's probably not the easiest thing to implement.

Reactions: Zed

Zed

I like the idea, but it would have to be vastly different from the grappling hook in ja+ for example. That was some buggy crap. It would take some time to implement, but I wouldn't mind it. As it stands it seems arc is a slightly underplayed class and maybe this would help popularize it a bit more.

So how would it work? Are you able to attach yourself to a wall and camp in an unlikely spot like a sith using wall-grab? Or is it purely for propelling arcs forward? Can you use it to divebomb imp team with rocket build? or does taking grappling hook lock out the possibility of buying a rocket launcer?

How would it work if used on a flying mando? Pull arc along? Pull/stop mando? How would it work attaching to deka/sbd or a sith? Does it pull arc towards attached player/model or is it as you said a pull for arcs?

You'd have to think carefully about many factors before trying to code and implement it, because there are many things to balance. Still, I like the idea ;) but it's probably not the easiest thing to implement.

My idea is that it propels ARCs forward or upwards. It can not be used to attach to a wall and stay there, but instead to get to the wall. If used on a flying amndo it would shut off the mando's jetpack. It would not be able to attach to dekas or sbds or wooks. I think that the price of the Hook should mean that the ARc can only afford 1 rocket launcher level and nothing else, to stop it form being OP.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
If it is anything like the FA grappel hook I would say no. No one wants ARC's flying all over the map. This also brings into play the bug where if you grappel into the ceiling you crash.

I do not think ARC needs grapple hook. Just because one team has a unique ability does not mean the opposing team needs an ability to match it. If ARC was to get a grapple hook I think it should have VERY limited range and it should definitely not get the ability to pull anyone down like force pull. But like I said I don't think ARC needs grapple and I don't think it should be added.

Also, adding a poll doesn't really help the topic considering the majority of people voting aren't even expressing their opinions, just mindlessly voting.

Last edited:

Zed

If it is anything like the FA grappel hook I would say no. No one wants ARC's flying all over the map. This also brings into play the bug where if you grappel into the ceiling you crash.
Ideally the grappel would have a 10/20 second cooldown so you cant spiderman around the map

Could just be a regular grappling hook, not necessarily a fired one. Throw it onto a ledge and allow yourself and teammates to climb it for the duration of the round, essentially allowing for more unorthodox routes on some maps.

... Assuming the game has climb animations and mechanics, which I don't think it does...

It would need to be a short range and be one or two time use, but it could be possible. Only question is would it be worth it.

If you are balancing vs the Mando class, it would need a cooldown equal to how far they can attach from.

Example using dotf:
Throwing it across main would be a longer cooldown then throwing it to the ceiling.

I could definitely see the strategic value and laughs it would get.

I would agree the cool down should be how far it goes, question is does it stay or does it only fling the arc trooper. If its persistent for the team to use, that could be a problem. But if its just arcs, it would be more manageable.

Then sniper arc would be more viable because if he can climb on top of stuff and hide like how the mando can, he can provide a better over-watch support role if he can get elevation. Its so much easier to support sith because I can go mando and jet-pack to a high place, and not have to aim near or over them.

In my opinion, the priority should be on cleaning up some of ARC's rather clunky acrobatics.
I think we can do both.

Last edited:

Phelps

Donator
I would be up for a certain figure of hooks used, the cooldown kinda seems too easy? Unsure, I guess it depends on the time it takes to reload that ability.

And ARC has so many gadgets, that I don't get it how it can be underplayed. I remember what magic could Ben do with it. Still, I don't see the hook to be fitting in the game. Feels weirdly out of place, when I imagine it.

I would be up for a certain figure of hooks used, the cooldown kinda seems too easy? Unsure, I guess it depends on the time it takes to reload that ability.

And ARC has so many gadgets, that I don't get it how it can be underplayed. I remember what magic could Ben do with it. Still, I don't see the hook to be fitting in the game. Feels weirdly out of place, when I imagine it.
We can workshop it, I know grapple hooks can work with this game if implemented right.
ARC-77

Kitho

Donator
To "balance it out" *cough* you could improve the ARCs climbing-abillities as well. =)
Make him have Jump 3 Wallruns... would be hilarious. ofc. only while he is in melee

Last edited:
I think we'd be better served mixing up the direct counters. Maybe allow melee wookiees to ledge grabs or do wall jumps to reach higher areas. Would also suit them well for ambushes since they do live in big trees.

ARCs could do with dex looking at but I think a grappling hook would give them too many gadgets, they already have grenade launcher, rocket launcher, pulses, scopes and I guess dex could fit in there as well.

Preston

Nerd
I think we'd be better served mixing up the direct counters. Maybe allow melee wookiees to ledge grabs or do wall jumps to reach higher areas. Would also suit them well for ambushes since they do live in big trees.

ARCs could do with dex looking at but I think a grappling hook would give them too many gadgets, they already have grenade launcher, rocket launcher, pulses, scopes and I guess dex could fit in there as well.
I would love some type of wall jump mechanic for wookies.

I would love some type of wall jump mechanic for wookies.
I would hate it, but that's because I come from the biased opinion of never having played a wookie, and unfortunately having the impression that they are furry hairy dirty immortal apes that will not die no matter how much you shoot them before they get you.

I don't feel like giving them that amount of ambush potential is necessary, they can already tank three troops worth of lasers.

Preston

Nerd
I would hate it, but that's because I come from the biased opinion of never having played a wookie, and unfortunately having the impression that they are furry hairy dirty immortal apes that will not die no matter how much you shoot them before they get you.

I don't feel like giving them that amount of ambush potential is necessary, they can already tank three troops worth of lasers.
Meh, wookies are really pretty balanced, especially if you just use an e11 or t21 and get chest shots. 1 disruptor hs will take a 400hp wook out also.

Meh, wookies are really pretty balanced, especially if you just use an e11 or t21 and get chest shots. 1 disruptor hs will take a 400hp wook out also.
Assuming you meet them under ideal circumstances where they don't have time to catch up with you, I agree.

Most players I've faced as wooks aren't braindead however, and usually don't come running at me in melee from across the room.

Pff, who am I kidding. I'd be scared of Wooks even if they DID come running at me from across the room.