anyone know

Status
Not open for further replies.
does anyone know whats going on with the bg servers the rtv is really locked on dotf and does anyone know whats up with it because they are the only active eu servers so its a bit shit cnat play

Okay I said it like 100 times on the server but here it is again:

The server was heavily ddosed as always(Thanks mb2 kids) and I tried manually restarting it. Somehow this fucked up the script and I can't repair it since i have no access to the server config. The only one who has that is @Viserys and shes perma afk and we can't reach her.

I tried everything with the limited access that I have but we will have to wait until she comes back.

Sorry for this.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Told Maick (he is the guy who actually runs the servers), hopefully it speeds up the process.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
because they are the only active eu servers so its a bit shit cnat play
eeehh, actually there are a lot of EU servers in the list...
I can't repair it since i have no access to the server config. The only one who has that is @Viserys and shes perma afk and we can't reach her.

I tried everything with the limited access that I have but we will have to wait until she comes back.
But... how does it possible? I thought you were the one in charge, I thought you were the big boss and you had any possible access.
And what if @Viserys won't ever come back? What if... she's captured by lord Vader or something? Or what if she's a TRAITOR, and become a female version of Sxx?

529fd4348163.jpg

Told Maick (he is the guy who actually runs the servers), hopefully it speeds up the process.
I think he already knows...

b7a160bebb65.png

yeah not sure why you think I havent talked to him already -.-

Just so you know he technically owns the server but he doesn't run it. All the configs, scripts and setup of the servers was done by viserys cos we have no idea about server stuff.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
yes but the bg server is the only one with any players
Well, that means even with dysfunctional RTV it's still the best server, and people love to play there, but I wouldn't call it the only "active" server.
There are plenty of EU servers, it's only matter of choice.
All the configs, scripts and setup of the servers was done by viserys cos we have no idea about server stuff.
lolololololo
So the problem is that you just don't know how to handle things?
Or you actually don't have enough permissions, and only Vis knows passwords? If you don't have a password, why the hell you didn't get it from @Viserys from the very beginning?
You know, it isn't very smart to put a server in dependency of single person, and MBII team already learned some bitter lesson from that...

Last edited:

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
I see no reason why you start punching gumba.
Perhaps he never wanted/needed that access before?

yes but the bg server is the only one with any players
That's a half-truth, mid-week, sure, {BG} servers always have best ping (for me) and best pop.

But on weekends, generally {BG} is full so other servers become alive too (or too crowded, I don't tend to enjoy Open maps with more than 26 players, it starts getting tedious unless the map is fukhueg like Battle Over Coruscant or Republic Cruiser or Yavin Assault... maps which never get voted and we always end up in Open DOTF/DeathStar continually rotating between the two, sometimes making a stop at JediTemple).

Why would you dump all that responsibility onto one person?
Because she wanted it.

lolololololo
So the problem is that you just don't know how to handle things?
Or you actually don't have enough permissions, and only Vis knows passwords? If you don't have a password, why the hell you didn't get it from @Viserys from the very beginning?
You know, it isn't very smart to put a server in dependency of single person, and MBII team already learned some bitter lesson from that...
Oh that's very easy to say when you don't know whats going on behind the scenes.
Fact is that I only have the power to restart the servers in case they go down.
The servers are not some bluefang rented ones. It's one root server with 3 mb2 servers on it. It's way more complicated this way, but we pay less.
And sorry for not having the knowledge about the server stuff. I actually had to do a lot of work to do convincing Viserys to give me the very limited access.

Last edited:
Because she wanted it.

So you see the problem now?
I see this happen a lot and it pisses me off when I see it every time.
The amount of stubbornness and lack of insight the source mod community has proves that you need more maturity when it comes to offering a service.
I was hoping people here were smart enough to not let this happen.

When you host a server and it becomes regularly populated, you need to take into the account of the people who play on it and how much the community depends on that server. If that server is the go to EU server. Then more people need access, because broken servers is one of the small quips that kills online competitive mods.

You tell her to fix it or give up access, when you have obligations to people such as these you don't ignore them.
If nothing is going to be done, I suggest you start saving money and be ready to host a new server.

Last edited:
It was either that she had full control of the server or no server at all.

Now you chose.

It was either that she had full control of the server or no server at all.

Now you chose.
I don't have to choose anything gumba, I am an NA player.

Its you who has to choose, do you waste time trying to contact somebody who doesn't want to be bothered or do you set up another server and attempt to get back to business as usual?

If she is perma AFK and there is radio silence you should assume the worst has happened and take the bus factor into account.
What every project manager should know about the bus factor - Sandglaz blog
(tldr version, The bus factor refers to the number of people on your team who need to be ‘run over by a bus’ before the project is in trouble)

If bus factor has not happened then clan ego strikes again.
The ego clan leaders have is mind numbing.

There should never be a situation where its my way or the highway, that is completely ill-responsible.
That tells me she trusts nobody in your group, and your people should be offended by that and demand more trust.
Clans should not be run like dictatorships.

I fucking hate AOD servers, but Insane isn't dumb enough to only have one person have access to the most important parts.
He actually trusts people in his circle jerk, and expects them to perform to his standard.

Last edited:
Well she did a great job of implementing scripts/managing the server until some events happen that are not matter of this discussion. I don't even know if her sudden disappearance has anything to do with it but it is likely.
We had no reason to ditch her to get full access because she was doing great.

Anyway I think all has been said about this topic. You now know the reasons why the RTV is broken and we are trying to fix it.
Until then I guess it becomes a server that can only change map by admin command so play on it or find another one.

Anyway I think all has been said about this topic. You now know the reasons why the RTV is broken and we are trying to fix it.
Until then I guess it becomes a server that can only change map by admin command so play on it or find another one.

Then im going to assume your people have learned ther lesson and drop it here.
Because something far worse could of happened where your server is not there period.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I see no reason why you start punching gumba.
Perhaps he never wanted/needed that access before?
But he should want it. It's just insane to give full access only to one person, because if something happens with that person, server gets in trouble.
It's one root server with 3 mb2 servers on it. It's way more complicated this way, but we pay less.
There is nothing complicated in simple fact you use one machine for multiple servers; gmpa.ru, a set of Russian servers, also hosted on single computer, they used some of my tips:
Hosting Server - Start three servers on one host machine | Movie Battles II Community
I actually had to do a lot of work to do convincing Viserys to give me the very limited access.
I am sorry, I shouldn't laughing at this, but this is just sooo hilarious. :D:D:D
Now I like @Viserys even more. While some feminists crying and whining about male having too much power, Vis just grabs the power.
Well she did a great job of implementing scripts/managing the server until some events happen that are not matter of this discussion.
Yeah, I am sure she did a great job, and she definitely needed full access in order to do it, but still that doesn't explain why she is *the one and only* who has that access.
You are best EU server (or maybe just best server), and that Sxx incident happened some time ago, I was sure you did everything possible to avoid locking a destiny of server on single person.

One more time, just look at MBII: since only Sxx controlled domain, and nobody had backups, team lose their address, wiki and whole old forums!
Isn't it enough to scare people and hold them from repeating the same mistakes?...
I don't have to choose anything gumba, I am an NA player.

Its you who has to choose, do you waste time trying to contact somebody who doesn't want to be bothered or do you set up another server and attempt to get back to business as usual?

If she is perma AFK and there is radio silence you should assume the worst has happened and take the bus factor into account.
What every project manager should know about the bus factor - Sandglaz blog
(tldr version, The bus factor refers to the number of people on your team who need to be ‘run over by a bus’ before the project is in trouble)

If bus factor has not happened then clan ego strikes again.
The ego clan leaders have is mind numbing.

There should never be a situation where its my way or the highway, that is completely ill-responsible.
That tells me she trusts nobody in your group, and your people should be offended by that and demand more trust.
Clans should not be run like dictatorships.
Good point.
I fucking hate AOD servers
Still don't know why people bitching about them, never had any problems with AOD.

Still don't know why people bitching about them, never had any problems with AOD.
Play on them for two hours a day for a few weeks straight and the problems will start being apparent.
I will give them credit their servers function perfectly, and when shits broken it get resolved under 24 hours.

Its just the people who have admin on them and their personalities make it a problem.
It's a nightmare to report somebody on their server, which is why I am very adamant about always leaving the demo recorder on now.

Last edited:

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I think this thread has served its purpose. If there was ever a tine for Gumba's avatar to fit the discussion this is it.

Status
Not open for further replies.