About Kamino

Imagine you're a B16 vet, playing as rebels on Cloud City on a cold winter morning. The round starts off and both team members take their usual spots to engage in some wild action. Then right when you grab your sniper rifle and take a sip of your steaming Viennese Melange, a random sith runs in, hacks Han's frozen body and the round is over. This is exactly how our brief game on Kamino felt like today before everyone RTV'd the shit out of it.

Guys, I realize the old Kamino might have been unbalanced for imps, but placing the obj in the middle is not the solution here. The rebs are supposed to be the defending team, meaning the imps have to get past reb territory to complete obj. Not only 85% of the map is useless now, but most of the encounters in the remaining 15% either take place in a short, narrow corridor or in the obj room itself (which has a low ceiling and little space to move in especially for jedi/sith). The most fun places to play in, like the huge staircase room or the main area of rebs are now merely stage decor. The side routes aren't even visited by any team at all and imp gameplay requires less strategy and more pew-pew (meaning nade spam + deka), while rebs are forced to camp the obj room. Retreating to obj room should be last resort for rebs.

Tbh I enjoyed the old Kamino, with the exception that the outside route took too long to walk. But I think if that route was made shorter, it would still be much more fun to play on than its current state. Kamino would make more sense if the action was balanced between outside and inside areas, as the outside areas have much unused fun potential. The usual double route concept of MB maps is missing on the new Kamino. So I think what the old Kamino needed were broader passageways for imps, a shorter exterior route, more covers on certain huge empty spaces to increase playability, etc. I'll try to bring in proper suggestions if I find the time.

I always thought the new obj placement was rather weird. Side routes are definitely still used, and still beat Rebs a few times with it too. There is less incentive to go those ways now though.

Side should be made shorter, and the obj area should be moved to where that hologram room next to the current reb spawn is. That way imps can surround it from three directions, but without any direction being necessarily dominant. Side will be helpful, but not absolutely necessary unless the server has high pop. And rebs could defend the objective by dividing and defending right.

The way the map currently is, I find it really fun as either team. Rebs can defend it quite well if they won't let imps rush them like bitches. This weekend on BG we had rebs being dominant and the only way imps had any chance was sending some people to the side route to flank rebs.

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I rly like the new obj, it makes it harder for rebs to just take over the stairs and defend it and basically not care for anything else. Even right now it is kind of hard for imps if they don't understand that brutal attack in numbers and FAST is the best solution.

Your team was doing smth obviously wrong if they always lost due to obj, or there was a big skill stack.

I do agree smth should still be done to kamino, the outside part is 90 percent useless and is only good for time wasters and trolls.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I largely enjoy the new Kamino. It's one of the best maps right now unlike in the past where it was just a dread to play in. There's a lot of action and defending isn't as easy as camping a doorway or two.

There is a small change coming to alleviate the issue of inexperienced players being unable/uninformed to defend the objective. The door to the objective is initially closed and requires a hack to be opened. This should create additional action across the map and encourage the Rebs to stretch out their defense while the Imps require more time to access the best path of attack.

Just to be clear I was mostly playing as imps and we kept winning cuz rebs were forced to camp their obj room which can easily be bombarded and spammed by imp rushers. I guess playing the map more could change my opinion but I still think there's much more potential in Kamino than a brief corridor battle with occasional flank action. I'm okay with a map being big and rounds taking relatively longer if the setting permits multi-phase gameplay like dotf or base jka siege.

Cat Lady

I don't like the notion of making MBII maps smaller, smaller, and smaller. The new Kamino is perfect example of this. Sure - locking the door to obj from the stairs until platform side is hacked would somehow help to balance it, but I can't help missing the "classic" kamino.

My only problem with Kamino that the side route (so the outside area) is totally a waste, because it takes too much time to use it (so the enemy can prepare if they notice the missing enemies), while its a big, open, laggy area what could be easily replaced with another corridor.
This is my idea for Kamino... I'm sure it wont be created, but I had my fun while painting, and it doesnt hurt to share it. Added an alternate objective, so the matches could be more dynamic there, because camping the objective without thinking could easily lead to lose the match (while camping without thinking is basically the main job for the defenders on other maps)... so playing offensively in the defender team would be kinda necessary.

Attachments

• kaminoplan.jpg
    kaminoplan.jpg
    567.2 KB · Views: 229

Cat Lady

The platform area wasn't a waste, until main kamino was made 1/2 of the former size. Thats the problem... Now, even flying all the side way as mando is too slow, and the elevator has become "real" side.

Turn Kamino into a CTF map and place the flags as far away from each other as possible. That way both routes will be used as CTF is a lot about deception and guessing which routes the carriers will take. If someone manages to MGS their way through the enemy lines, more power to them... Just gotta ensure that Jedi's can't MT their way with the flag.