15 Years of Movie Battles

Discussion in 'Developer Diaries' started by MaceMadunusus, May 15, 2018.

1. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

I can't imagine how player can get advantage by having shadows enabled. This sounds absolutely ridiculous.

2. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

Last edited: May 20, 2018
  3. MaceMadunusus

MaceMadunusus Level Designer Movie Battles II Team

He isn't. You could use them to see players through walls.

I don't think OpenJK has fixed that issue either. Rend 2 might have but I haven't seen anything about it. There was nothing on our end done to make shadows this way. Just how the engine is.

Not really a good method of doing that.

4. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

Explain, please.

5. MaceMadunusus

MaceMadunusus Level Designer Movie Battles II Team

Why would you think seeing peoples shadows through walls is a good idea to prevent corner camping?

6. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

I mean, not through walls. I've already said that this is a bug. But seeing people's shadows when they are hiding is 100% fair.

7. Tempest

Tempest coding in Wonderland Movie Battles II Team

The lag spikes on saber collisions should basically be completely gone at this point.

PuNk and Zhane like this.
  8. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic Nerd

Sure. It works in modern games. I actually like them.

But...This isn't a modern engine. The physics...well, they try. Not really tho.

The problem then with shadows was that they were black ink sacs that could penetrate through walls and float on ledges. Not just that, but it was pitch black. No shades of grey so to speak.
    Users that had a card or pc build that could enable these settings without massive fps drops had a huge advantage.

I think it was Vortex? One of the old white hats and the guy who worked on SAC, (simple anti-cheat) that eventually removed it.

I remember Someone's face. He should be in his 40s now. The longer I wait, the more dmg breaking his kneecaps will do. I got a plan.
    But I forgot what country he's from. I sighed just now. Back up your revenge lists people.

Zhane and Puppytine like this.
  9. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

Duuude, Id tech 3 is a very cool engine. It's not perfect as ue4 and it lacks of many modern features but believe me a lot of modern game engines have worse physics and performance even than id tech 3. (ex. Renegade X) Some issues you mentioned here have been already resolved in other games based on Id tech 3-2-1 a long time ago. So you should be motivated in a right way.

BTW look out here: Xonotic - Wikipedia. This is not even id tech 3, this is id tech 2!

More:

don't forget that this is still improved id tech 2.

Last edited: May 21, 2018
    k4far likes this.
  10. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

Simple shadows worked fine on 2004 year (16 years old) PC. I didn't get any issues when I played JA. What you are saying here is nonsense.

...and I also played the game I mentioned above on my ancient PC and it worked ok too.

11. Phoenix

Phoenix

Why even bother arguing, nobody will change their mind and it won't be added regardless of what you say

Zhane likes this.
  12. Zhane

Zhane

I agree there is no point arguing with the Devs, it was an issue in the past and multiple people have complained about the unfair advantage in the past. Dont take over an entire forum post arguing.

You might aswell make your own thread discussing it.

Phoenix likes this.
  13. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic Nerd

Ignorant.

Just because you didn't experience problems doesn't magically erase the issues people had in this mod. And simple shadows? I wasn't talking about simple shadows. There were 2 other shadow settings, projected and convex or whatever that were the issue. And yes, they did in fact, cause fps drops for some users.

This is not a debate. This is what happened.

And don't think vanilla ja can compare to mb2. A simple hud change in one build caused my fps to drop to 30 from 90. I played without a hud for 6 months.
    Which was why I appreciated cg_hudfiles when they implemented that:)

But hey, nonsense right. Chump.

CC-1119 "Appo' and Gumba like this.
  14. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

I have very deep knowledge in programming stuff, for example: mods for quake 3, open arena, tremulous, etc... All that's happening here with shadows or HUD as you said before is 100% bad coding. But your point of view is like "we knew about that a long ago but we don't give a fuck, let's just remove everything so it works". This is as silly as it's ridiculous.

15. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic Nerd

Ok, schmuck. No offense. Schmucks can be good people too. :D

I recounted the history of this mod. Your deep knowledge seems to be lacking there. Mb2 codes a mess, has been from inception, its predicate ja was kind of shit and is obviously outdated. The engine is ancient and it stretches to do things that present day coding doesn't even blink at.

Simple solution, if you want shadows so badly, submit your application and do the work yourself. You claim to be experienced. And you seem to have an interest.

So put up or shut up.

I'm guessing you'll do neither. Prove me wrong. Become another code monkey for the glory of mb2. Or be dismissed.

16. Phoenix

Phoenix

yall really gonna bitch over shadows in a 10 year old game? get real, find something better to do with your time than argue over something so trivial.

17. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic Nerd

No. Shadows are the Devil. Anyone that worships Satan must be culled.

Who is your God?

Gargos and Puppytine like this.
  18. Luna

Luna

ur mom

Puppytine likes this.
  19. Monstrovich

Monstrovich

Open sources or we can't really help here.

Luna likes this.
  20. MuscBodypillow

MuscBodypillow

You can just by being a dev, you must either commit to the project or let the devs do their thing.

If you want to be a dev you must commit the secret ritual of dressing as Rosh and get expelled from 7 public spaces or shops.