1.4 Open Beta Dueling Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't talk about it. The less fools know, the better.

I'd prefer some more refinement and realism:) Say just the swing itself. Has a beginning, middle and end. The middle part is when you want to hit and the former and latter are areas of weakness to exploit.

When two opponents swing, the one who strikes with thier middle against the others beginning or end(timing and such) should have the advantage. Doing increased dmg but also, knocking the saber out of the way where a quick follow up can do greater damage:) The rare simultaneous clash should result in a bounceback off of both fronts, resetting. I'd combine that with a more radical saber defense system. No more pb zones, back to the old saber on saber. But, much smaller blocking detection. No more invisible walls, you make sure that saber hits or blocks his visually otherwise you could die from the 1st swing:) Saber placement and full control:)

I'd remove bp entirely and you could block indefinitely if you were good enough! Maybe just replace it with a stamina bar that determined the speed and strength of your attacks! Strength in this case would determine if you could stagger or get staggered.

Mb's just back and forth. All melee games are basically like that. The counters can switch and reverse the rhythm but thats it. I desire more:( And also to cut a swath through a horde of noobs.

The limitations of the keyboard begin to weigh on me. When will they come out with the dreamscape tech so I can just plug my mind into the game?

Last edited:

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I'm not sure what you mean by spamming in this context. If you 'spam' (i.e, repeat the same thing over and over again) in 1.4 then you are dead meat sonny boy. But in 1.3 you can safely go about brainlessly throwing the same few combos at your opponent until one of you gets slapped and and you can get past the parry wall.

1.4, you can still 'spam' (repeat the same thing over and over again), but it will get you killed vs a skilled opponent. So 1.4 hasn't limited anyones freedom to play how they want. It has just limited the efficiency of certain brainless playing styles to encourage ppl to vary their attacks. Yes, you can still use 4 hit combos effectively in 1.4, but if u 'spam' 4 hit combos then you're gonna lose the duel. This is how we've killed 'spam' in 1.4, by giving ppl incentives to PB+counter and to vary their combos and single swings and to add nudged insta swings to the mix.

Also, everything is 'back and forth' sabering. What alternative is there? Both ppl ignoring what the opponent is doing and just going lalalal holding down mouse1 and adad? Act, react, act react, that is the essence of sabering. If what your opponent is doing is useless, then there's no need to react to him and you can just keep doing your thing brainlessly. (We reduced this aspect significantly in 1.4 compared to 1.3). We made what your opponent is doing more significant (PB's, counters, swing-interrupts, nudges..), so tht we could avoid a system that felt boring and stale, and where people didn't duel eachother, but instead just dueled themselves in a 'combo' simulator.

Nudge spamming in 1.4 is definitely a thing. Get into their face, time a swing, spam a random weird combo. Did they pblock you? Just slap to hit their counter timing, oh they blocked your slap? Just pblock them, and continue the spamming.

Granted it isn't as bad as 1.3, where yellow vs yellow is literally just a 4 hit combo slap fest, but it is still bad. The issue is, that it is also boring as well. I still prefer 1.3 over 1.4, because I actually feel like I'm having fun in 1.3, even though I'm way better in 1.4.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Nudge spamming in 1.4 is definitely a thing. Get into their face, time a swing, spam a random weird combo. Did they pblock you? Just slap to hit their counter timing, oh they blocked your slap? Just pblock them, and continue the spamming.

Granted it isn't as bad as 1.3, where yellow vs yellow is literally just a 4 hit combo slap fest, but it is still bad. The issue is, that it is also boring as well. I still prefer 1.3 over 1.4, because I actually feel like I'm having fun in 1.3, even though I'm way better in 1.4.

If nudging is 'spam' then per definition, slap is spam too, and taking a swing at your opponent is also spam. Holding block is also spam. Tapping wasd is also spam. In-fact, the entire world is spam. But 1.3 is bestest spam jajaja.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
If nudging is 'spam' then per definition, slap is spam too, and taking a swing at your opponent is also spam. Holding block is also spam. Tapping wasd is also spam. In-fact, the entire world is spam. But 1.3 is bestest spam jajaja.

Nudging is spam, and slapping is also spam. We've discovered it! Hooray.

As I said before, 1.4 is not well received, and its forced-release will be devastating to the community. Just because you, and a dozen others on the forums love it, does not mean it will be welcome by the rest.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Nudging is spam, and slapping is also spam. We've discovered it! Hooray.

As I said before, 1.4 is not well received, and its forced-release will be devastating to the community. Just because you, and a dozen others on the forums love it, does not mean it will be welcome by the rest.

Back in 2008 when b18 was first released. b17 players complained that it was a shitty patch and that we should revert sabering to b17 style. When b19 came out, ppl said b18 was better. When RC1 came out, ppl actually said rc1 was better, cause b19 was truly horrid for sabering. But when rc2 came out, ppl said rc1 was better. when rc3 came out, ppl said rc1 was better.

You get the idea, and so it continues to this day. Hasn't killed the community yet has it? How could you possibly assume that it will be 'devastating' to the community when you've only been here a few months? Nevertheless, please continue enlightening us with your grim prophecies o great one :p

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
I legitimately don't care about the history of the mod. However, most people that I know, dislike it intently, and are likely to move to a different game a short time after its release. Personally, I find 1.4 boring, and would tire quickly of it.

Point being, rather than constantly shoving out dumb new saber systems with every patch for people to go 'I liked the old one', why not work to fixing what you already have? Is it that difficult for some people to comprehend? We have a fun, working saber system in 1.3, why not... work on that? Get some ideas/feedback from the community? I have hundreds of ideas to fix 1.3...

Nah, we have to just introduce a completely new and boring saber system, but it is okay, people will get used to it, because they have no choice.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
All I'm saying is that 1.4 won't kill off the community. Also, 1.4 is a fix to 1.3 even if you do not believe it to be so.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
All I'm saying is that 1.4 won't kill off the community. Also, 1.4 is a fix to 1.3 even if you do not believe it to be so.

I don't think it will help the community any.

It isn't a fix, it is a total change, completely different feel to it than 1.3. A feel that I really dislike.

Excuse me for being a noob but can you still do the backwards melee kata to instantly win any duel in 1.4?

I mean the slap ->switch to melee ->backwards kata and the other guy doesn't stand up fast enough and you just kill him.

Just came to my mind cos its the most annoying thing ever.

Any statement? Is this intended?

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Any statement? Is this intended?
What do you mean ? Of course it was always intended. It's a perfectly balanced "feature", that's why we totally aren't going to "fix" it for the final v1.4 release, because there is nothing to fix, yes ? After all, you can consistently avoid being backwards-grabbed simply by looking away from the enemy, so it is in no way OP.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Joking; it was never intended but was still left as it is because there is a way to make it alot harder to pull off: after being knocked down, if you look away from the enemy instead of looking at him, it will be much harder for him to grab you, most of the time it will miss. And it is going to be fixed for release.

I also thought that 1.4 saber system is very bad etc. (you can see it in my previous posts), but one day, after playing beta, I switched back to 1.3, and guess what, I was spammed to death by some random guy with parkinson. At that moment I was missing the feature that allows to stop such a mindless combo with a single pblock.
The idea that only mblock could stop the combo is not the best one in my opinion. Why? Well, try to mblock staff or duals :)

So when can we expect the release of 1.4?

Kas gets respect points for returning to the forum and sharing with everyone that their opinions on 1.4 have changed instead of forgetting it like a bad dream

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Spamming is an issue in 1.3, but there are better methods to stopping it, than making pblocks completely stop momentum.

Spamming is an issue in 1.3, but there are better methods to stopping it, than making pblocks completely stop momentum.
dude go make a complaint thread or something if you don't have any constructive feedback then just stop posting don't just say things like 'there are other approaches to doing [blank]' how about you tell them the other damn approaches or drop it

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
dude go make a complaint thread or something if you don't have any constructive feedback then just stop posting don't just say things like 'there are other approaches to doing [blank]' how about you tell them the other damn approaches or drop it

If I thought that my suggestions would change anything, or that people would pay attention to it, or even consider fixing 1.3 over 1.4, then I would be glad to list them all out in a thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.