"Movie Battles 2" is kind of a dumb name.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
It's probably at least a decade too late for this to be a serious topic, but I want to bring it up anyway.

This game is a really unique tactical Star Wars shooter. In my opinion, it's unreasonably fantastic as a tactical, mindgames-based game, it's pretty good as a Star Wars fanservice "do cool stuff as cool characters" jerkoff game, and it's.... decent as an "experience the spectacle of major Star Wars battles" game.

My main beef with the name "Movie Battles 2" is that it sounds like a game where the main appeal is... just... the existence of maps and player models from famous movie scenes. Like "Play as all your favorite characters, through all your favorite scenes!" And MB2 is.. good in that regard, but it's also way more than that. It's this great combat/teamplay system that's effectively marketed as "fun Star Wars toy!!1!"

the name's probably good for attracting casual players who just wanna mess around with Star Wars assets, which might attract more players overall, but might also explain some of... how the community is. I do wish it had a name more focused on how wildly revamped and honed and sharpened the combat is, and how tactics and improvisation-oriented the game is.

I brainstormed for a better name that would evoke "tactical combat," while also evoking the fact that every battle is essentially between the Dark Side and the Light Side, and maybe consequently having some kind of pun on "Force" in there.

but: "Strike Force" is too subtle and generic. "Battles of the Force" is kind of long and clumsy. something like "Force Wars" sounds too large-scale. MBII is relatively small scale tactical assaults. "Galactic Assault" is already sort-of taken.

I kind of like "War of the Force." The "War" in question referring to the timeless, multi-era constant conflict between Light and Dark side.

...maybe "War of the Force: Galactic Assault," but that gets long.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Bear in mind that it's evolved a ton over those 13 years, and there's still significant mechanical revamps happening in recent patches (like: flinch). I don't see a reason to be saddled to such a weak name, except out of respect for those 13 years of history and progress. Which I understand, but also see as kind of a detrimentally conservative attitude.

The name makes the game more difficult to recommend. I have to convince people that fucking "Movie Battles" is actually mechanically an incredibly solid and interesting game. The one redeeming quality of the name, to me, is that it at least sounds ambitious and large-scale.

It could be a big problem that people who already know about "Movie Battles 2" might go looking for it and not immediately find it..? It depends on if breadcrumbs and redirects can be set up leading MB2 searches towards the new name.

It always made me sad that such an ingenious game is so unpopular. It's hard to even list all fuckups from the management point of view.
Coders were always in charge of it and that just couldn't work.

The only problem with the name is that the phrase "movie battles" in the search engines doesn't immediately pop up the game. You don't pick name like this without money for ads.

T r i s t a n

Banned
Why not Star Wars Incarnate?
I like that...
But yes I kind of agree at a marketing stand point, Movie Battles 2 is neither strong nor weak...

LoU

R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It always made me sad that such an ingenious game is so unpopular. It's hard to even list all fuckups from the management point of view.
Coders were always in charge of it and that just couldn't work.

The only problem with the name is that the phrase "movie battles" in the search engines doesn't immediately pop up the game. You don't pick name like this without money for ads.
Try with "Star Wars Multiplayer game" (google)

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
The only problem with the name is that the phrase "movie battles" in the search engines doesn't immediately pop up the game.
Not sure what this is supposed to mean.
Search results? Tips below search bar? Something else?

Anyway, it looks good enough for me... with an exception of DuckDuckGo, mb:

fef364df93fd.png

62acda93c6d2.png

e47dbb80d2b5.png

44e945db2488.png

84df55ebadd2.png

916a9aa919e8.png

Last edited:

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Yes, the name is quite shit. Can't think of a better name though.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Yes, the name is quite shit. Can't think of a better name though.
Can we discuss name ideas then? Conceptually-related, well-known games have names like Counter-Strike, Chivalry: Medieval Warfare, Insurgency....... Blade Symphony...... Planetside...?? I'm thinking about what makes those names "work."

I'll put these ideas in a spoiler tag again since my formatting is kind of sprawling.
Counter-Strike is just kind of a semi-random tactical term chosen to evoke "tactics."

"Chivalry" is chosen because it relates to "knights fighting," but then they appended "Medieval Warfare" to make it super clear what the game is about.

Insurgency is exactly like Counter-Strike in that it's a word that evokes the specific context that the game is set in.

Blade Symphony is a pretty name that focuses specifically on the game as a complex combat system.

Planetside is an interestingly vague word that evokes both futuristic space stuff and large scale combat operations.

What is Movie Battles, at it's core? It's a tactical, fundamentally Counter-Strike-ish game, but it's also a Star Wars game, a game about good fighting against evil over a very large span of time, and a game about intense lightsaber duels. Unlike the games above, it doesn't reaaaally have one single, clear unifying theme (like "Urban Warfare" or "Medieval Warfare" or "Big Space Warfare" or "Badass Sword Fighting"). It's... "Medium-scale, non-Vehicular Star Wars Combat, in all its diverse flavors."

Not that anyone's officially said anything to the effect of "we would change the name if we had a better name," but, what kinds of limitations are there on names, copyright-wise? I imagine we can't have a name like "Star Wars: _______" because it could be confused with an official Star Wars product. So if we want to heavily allude to Star Wars in the title, it would have to be sideways, using some other fundamentally Star Warsy term like "The Force" or maybe "The galaxy."

but if you use "galaxy," you may imply that MB2 is a larger-scale game than it really is. It's a game about relatively small-scale, "urban" battles. And if you use "the force" then you run the risk of implying that the game is more focused on Jedi/Sith than it is.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.
I hear you. I respect your opinion. I just don't care about it:)

Change name to:

Star Wars Movie Re-Enactment Battles
Star Wars Movie Mod
Star Wars: The Phantom Mod
Star Wars: Revenge of the Fans
Star Wars: Rebel Alliance vs Sith Empire
Star Wars: Pimps
Star Wars: Last Man Standing
Star Wars: Siege at Hoth - need a good hoth map:)
Star Wars: Masters of the Force
Star Wars: Game of Thrones - haha, fuck with people.
Star Wars: Sequel's Prequel Original Trilogy
Spam Wars: Terrorists vs Nazis
Star Wars: Duel of the Fates - haha.(Simpson Laugh)
Star Wars: The Rainbow of Destiny
Star Wars: Historical Battles
Star Wars: Disney
Star Wars: Battle
Star Wars: Chaotic

/end thread.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Star Wars Battles would be my personal favorite or Star Wars: BATTLE ROYALE!

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Star Wars: Last Man Standing

Good point.

"Arena"

Star Wars Arena, or Galactic Arena, or Arena of the Force, or something.

Are we allowed to use "Star Wars" in the name? That sounds dangerous.

...I do like "Arena of the Force," because all of the conflicts are fundamentally caused by the battle between the Light and Dark side, so everyone is kind of thrust into combat by the Force.

Plus "Arena" alludes to the fact that this is also just a big battle royale between all the best characters. Enter the arena. Survive through your wits. MB2 is kind of the definitive "Anyone vs Anyone" Star Wars combat game, so I'm increasingly attached to "Arena" in some form.

Last edited:
We're a mod based off of a star wars game.

You could just put the game title followed by the new mod name.

Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Jihad
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Attack
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Campaign
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Clash
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Conflict
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Crusade
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Encounter
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Strife
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Onslaught
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Scrimmage
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Struggle
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Contention
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Opposition
Star Wars:Jedi Academy: Rift

I didn't use a thesaurus.
Trust me. Honesty is my middle name.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
... Alright, while "Arena of the Force" expresses the best "feeling," in my opinion, it's intolerable that "Arena Of" feels so unnatural to say. The name has to flllloooowwww.

If we wanted to get more... abstract, more allusive, what about something like "Will of the Force."

I've been figuring it would be best to emphasize MB2 as being it's own, virtually standalone game, apart from Jedi Academy, so that it doesn't seem... trivial, the way that "Movie Battles" does. But we could also put "mod" in the name... Jedi Academy: BattleMod, or something like that.

hmmmmm

...ok what about

War of the Stars

a la T r i s t a n's Star Wars Incarnate

It would be sort of misnomery since all the battles are grounded instead of in space (more or less). But I like how it's kind of a corny or even rip-offy inversion of "Star Wars," that blares "I am a Star Wars fan-thing," while also being accurately descriptive since MB2 is about a bunch of battles over a very large area and time frame.

and it flows decently, verbally. Abbreviates as WotS, which is.. unique.

Last edited: