SeV's Saber System Fix

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Bare with me and try to understand, as I lay bare some of my thoughts on the saber system. Please listen uncritically to a player who's cared for this game and sabering ystem for over 8 years. Btw, this spawned from a reply to the PB post by Apex, but the reply turned into this...

Introduction: Skip to suggestions if you want.

I think the current PB system is good, but as stassin mentioned you can sometimes accidentally PB. Another issue I see with this system is that attacking like a fucking maniac is 90% better than focusing on defensive play because of parries. In the saberclash-systems parrying happened less frequently because of halfswing exchanges. Also, Angling ur saber when both attacking and defending, and countering with proper timing was the old way of playing and I know stassin thinks it was more random than not, and therefore bad and didn't take skill, yet I disagree. The old system was full of depth and took a great deal of skill, just as the current one does. They're just different.

So why is spamming such a viable way of playing, as opposed to focusing on PBs, correct timing and skillful countering etc?
Well, because the fucking attacks PARRY and a parry is better than a PB (ignoring perks for now).

In alot of situations, alot of the time, maybe more than 70 percent of a duel, parrying blocks more hits than PBing. Parrying can block hits at 0 bp. It completely trivializes the current PB system, because at 0 BP you can just go Yoda mode and jump around, swinging and parrying, then jump to reset and repeat. With red u can use the stagger aswell for an added 0 BP bonus defense.

In essence, my gripe is not with the current PB system, but with how it was implemented and what is missing. Tweaks, not revamps or returns to old systems. If skilled veteran players all put their heads together I'm sure we can come up with improvements that'll make the current system as much fun as the old one.

So...

This list of suggestions isn't a take it or leave it whole course, it's a buffet of suggestions to somehow spice up the current rather dull and lifeless system. (it sounds like I'm saying it's bad, but what I'm saying is that it's more boring, not worse or that it takes less skill. Why do you think people left? Because saber system wasn't fun for them anymore, but it's fun for sisi I assume...)

Here are my suggestions for a better saber system.

#1 Non-Trivial Counters:
A successful PB allows the user to Counter. That Counter will 'override' a normal swing (pass through a parry) and deal extra BP damage. Only works on the first swing after a PB.

Comment: Not extra BP by a huge amount, but enough to make countering and counter-countering a desirable tactic for skilled people as compared to mindlessly spamming combos (whether they be 2 hit combos followed by quick resets to get ACM or not... it's still mindless spam that takes little skill. I don't think it's much different from 4 hit combo spamming with yellow, it's just an evolution of the same playstyle.)

On the BP multiplier, I don't know if 1.1 swingblocked and 1.3 unswingblocked will be enough, but the main point of this is not the increased BP damage, though that is a required thing to make counters less trivial and more desirable. The real focus is on the fact that this allows people who can PB+counter to BYPASS 0 bp parry spamming retards.

(Extra note: Check my youtube videos of sisi vs sekundus and you'll see alot of retarded 0 BP jump spam. Sometimse it lasts for 30 seconds spamming at 0 bp before sisi dies to sekundus)

#2 More low bp parry fixes:
Getting hit while running and swinging without swingblock causes the user to lose his lightsaber if he is below 1/2 BP and stagger if he is above 1/2 BP.

Comment: First, the values can be adjusted down to be 1/4 disarm threshold or even lower.

Reason and history: many have suggested that a jedi/sith's movement speed be slowed at low/0 BP in the past. This would interfere with open mode gameplay in a non-trivial way. My suggestion does not harm open mode gameplay, it just makes it slightly more important to be aware of your BP in-case of an enemy jedi/sith. I mean for fucks sake, a 0 BP sith in open can take on a bunch of noob jedi by spamming parries and using red stagger and BP is supposed to be for blocking lightsaber attacks. You shouldn''t be just fine without BP against a jedi/sith... as said before it trivializes PB and the entire MB2 system, returning us to a base-like state of retarded spam. This 0 skill shit has to stop, and suggestion #1 and #2 help solve this problem. There is no good reason not to implement.

#3 Cyan Perk
Yes, the cyan parry perk has to get the fuck out of here. it encourages a retarded, 0 skill noobish playstyle that I've tried to crush with suggestions #1 and 2.

Comments: If cyan has to be removed from the game as a useless style, so be it. But cyan's parry perk opposes all that is good about the current saber system and has to go.

#4 Cyan revamp
Cyan's first swing is yellow speed, blue dmg (ish), and with each swing in the combo/chain it increases in speed and damage until it is blue speed, yellow damage at around 4 swings? Upon reset, returns to being Yellow speed, blue dmg.

New perk:
Performing an Mblock (with PB), makes the counter start at blue speed, yellow BP dmg level.

Comments: Cyan is too weak without the derpy, SHITTY parrying perk. Revamping cyan is no small matter. My first suggestion is to make cyan's first swing slower, but each subsequent swing increase in speed within the combo chain. First swing speed starts out around yellow level , with blue dmg, and as we get deeper into the swings, speed and damage increase to reverse, blue speed and yellow dmg. This happens for combos and single swings alike within a given combo-chain (You know, before the reset. So you can combo ur way up to extremely fast halfswings). This would make cyan a unique aggressive style instead of the derpy, half-assed style that it currently is.

The perk requires skill to be good, unlike the disgusting parry perk.

#5 Staff changes
Staff mblocks no longer stagger the opponent. Instead, they get an active verson of the stagger on the currently unused saberthrow button.

Active stagger: Works like the mblock stagger, has a cooldown of 8 seconds, requires a PB+button press to succeed so that it still takes timing and some skill.

Comments: The current staff stagger mechanic is simply too overpowered considering staff's def and off stats. It also slows duels to a crawl. It is simply too overpowered. Yes it takes a little bit of skill to use, but if you practice it you can perform it just as easily as you PB and thus the amount of skill needed to execute it is not in proportion to how good it is.

My suggestion is a nerf to the stagger mechanic. Even if it got removed entirely staff would still be an excellent style because it has good defense and offensive stats. Also, the 8 sec cooldown can be shown like the slap cooldown is currently.

#6 Slap/kick
This one is simple, up the cooldown from 2.5 sec to 4 seconds.

Comments/reasoning: Slap is often spammed. Making the cooldown longer does not impact duels in a negative way, as there's no saberclash facehug anymore, just regular old facehug which doesn't have much of an effect. The second reason for increasing slap cooldown is that it helps guide players towards using the PB+Counter mechanic that I mentioned above. It also helps make revamped cyan playstyle more dangerous. It reinforces proper use of slap, combats spamming it constantly.

#7 Duals changes
Duals stab no longer gives the user an ACC.
You can only parry with the first swing in a combo.
Duals stab can parry+knockback. Main defensive mechanic on duals.
Duals have slightly more BP multiplier than before to compensate for loss of combo-spammed parries as a defensive mechanic.

Comments: It's quite simple really. Duals is a spammy playstyle that can completely ignore PBs. When playing duals, you NEVER EVER focus on PBing, instead only on attacking, parrying, stabbing, gaining ACM and running away to regen BP... Very gay style of play atm.

#8 Red changes
Red loses PB BP drain perk.

New Perk: The parry bypass from PBing+Countering lasts for the entire combo instead of for only 1 swing.

In addition, Red gets a new ability. Pressing the saberthrow button makes reds first swing a halfswing, exactly like the old weaponswitch/twirl trick, but HP damage is decreased to 50 HP. (To balance in open-mode) and movement speed is slowed to 80 percent for 2 sec after pressing the button. Lasts 2 sec before expiring. Takes 0.5 sec before you can attack after you've pressed the button and activated the ability.

Cooldown 8 seconds

Comments: The old red PB perk makes it a very strong stance and without the perk it's perhaps not strong enough. The Parry bypass perk allows reds counter-combo's to be effective and is a more attack oriented perk as it bypasses parry defenses. Also, the counter combo can be slapped making it a more risky perk with less success chance. All this serves to increase the skill it takes to play with and against red while slightly nerfing the defensive power.

The new halfswing ability is needed for red to give it a more attack-based flavour. I don't care what anyone says, red should have this ability. If an 8 sec cooldown proves to be too short, then increase it to 10 seconds, Idc. With such a long cooldown it is trivial in the actual duel itself, but serves to spice things up and keep players on their toes against red, knowing that at any moment the Red user can go brutal offense. It gives red more unique flavour similar to playing against the current stagger staff. If a style has a mechanic you cannot ignore, that gives personality to that style. Red is an iconic aggressive style so why not give it this ability? It is not overpowered at all compared to the 8+ BP drain on PB perk, and if implemented with the HP dmg nerf to swings in that combo it won't make the style OP in open either, though it'll give red users an opportunity to finish off facehugging gunners that they've deflected down to low HP. Another bonus, though not a dueling bonus, still worth noting.

#9 Blue changes
Make blue spins fast so that you can utilize those combos in combat and not be afraid of spinning.

Comments: Blue is already a good, unique, fun style loved by many. Perhaps it's a tad strong but that's to be expected because of the parry shit. With my PB+Counter suggestion bypassing parries for a single swing, it should help balance things out vs spammy styles like blue. The above suggestion makes blue users able to attack in more varied ways, and I know everyone would appreciate it if spinning didn't fuck them over with blue. It helps even the slight nerf that the PB+Counter introduces to blue in a non OP or otherwise annoying or roundabout way.

Extra note: It would be cool if you could slow down blue counters just a tad, and make blue users able to counter with a w swing in a proper manner. Think of a kendo strike, that's the kind of blue counter I'd like to see more of. Make this new blue counter as prevalent about as prevalent as the yellow left swing counter.

#10 Force powers.
Force Speed becomes a neutral force power.

Jedis get Force Heal.

lvl 1 cost 4 - drains 20 fp per sec, heals 5 hp per second. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 2 cost 6 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 6 hp per sec. User is immobile (Kneeling heal stance)
lvl 3 cost 8 - drains 10 fp per sec, heals 10 per sec. User can move while healing.

Note: I'd like speed to be implemented regardless of heal. There's an argument for giving Jedis force grip. Sith can use lightning (sith Sorcery), but all force users can use grip to some extent and as Kyle said, the forcepower itself is not evil, it's how you use it. So you can put grip in both jedi and sith if my force heal suggestion is not to your liking.

Comments: Why? Speed is needed in the current dueling system to counter the retarded backslash and with jedi's being the only ones to have speed, it makes sith less versatile in dueling. Also, the many implications in open recommend speed. If sith have speed... there are so many tactical implications. They had it before, they can have it again. It's worth a try. People want it, old vets, newer players, recognized MB2 personalities. So many ppl are asking for this. So give it to them.

The specifics of force heal balancing can be changed to suit the balance. My values are just placeholder suggestions.

Last edited:

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Nothing will happen to the saber system. There's noone left to work on the code. Just leave it as it is.
Not really true, and even if it were it doesn't mean people can't give us ideas. That's what this section is for, after all.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Changing the saber system so as to appease people that left the game will not bring them back. To do that would require radical changes, as the vast majority of people who left were not happy with a LOT of the features. To do that would require yet another overhaul, when people have been adjusting to the saber system for just about a year now (or less), and developing their own styles.

I -honestly- don't see what is wrong with the saber system as it is now. You can PB a lot, but you can break a person's defense relatively easy if you know how to yaw a bit/use fakes/etc.

On a veteran vs veteran level; there hasn't been as intriguing and intricate a saber system, and duels I have with the likes of Sisi/SeV now are much more entertaining than previous builds.

Last edited:
This thread is like the current sabering system...
WHAT THE FUCK IS HAPPENING!?

"You know the saber system if you're winning, but you don't know shit about it if you're losing." - Abraham Lincoln

The overt complication of the sabering system stems solely from the idea that the saber is separate from the one who wields it, which is a falsity in the movies and in historic eras where the sword was hailed and central to the warriors life. This idea of the saber not being one with the person who wields it created the system of PB, which has RNGed the system to obscurity. The system itself is flawed not by its intentional design but because if server or client frames/snaps drop below a certain threshold, or if sabers cross each other between frames, Bodyhits will be registered instead of PBs because sabers will pass thru each other because the bbox of the saber is not as thick as the player. You can test this for yourself if you own a server and a friend, set sv_fps to something below 10, and watch the RNG passthru take place on either PBing sabers or direct body hits. Setting sv_fps high or low will basically give you a new saber system, my opinion is that the 40 frames most servers run at is no where near good enough to establish a seamless PB system, try maybe running a server at 120 frames and see what happens to the sabering system, you will propably become a perfect block master, but once you get to a certain amount of clients ping will make it unplayable.

The fact remains, very few have mastered the PB system, and to the rest of us its pure RNG. This is devastating to outside players wanting to wield a saber because they will eventually quit due to lack of understanding. The whole system needs a bigger rework then the transition from b17->b18 or any other changes from previous builds combined.

But hell what do I know about sabering systems and coding.

As for perks... umm... Grip + Blue stance is totally legit. And 3 hit combo Red is fair, because then they cant fight back.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
^ Doesn't know how to duel.

PB is very easy to learn. I implore you - come to my server and I'll have you PBing well in 10 minutes max. The vast majority of this bashing/hate stems from people not bothering to actually LEARN the mechanics of the saber system. 3hit combo with red can be countered, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Contrary to what you said, this saber system is the most noob friendly it has ever been.

Just noticed that we don't seem to have a saber guide anymore? Wasn't it re-upped?
How am I supposed to link to pictures and threads now if they don't exist.

Fucking Sxx......o_O

New meme! Fuck Sxx!!

Supa

The Serial Stacker
If anyone has it they can feel free to post it up and I'll sticky it. I can't get it from webarchive because there was so little traffic here during that time.

^ Doesn't know how to duel.

PB is very easy to learn. I implore you - come to my server and I'll have you PBing well in 10 minutes max. The vast majority of this bashing/hate stems from people not bothering to actually LEARN the mechanics of the saber system. 3hit combo with red can be countered, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Contrary to what you said, this saber system is the most noob friendly it has ever been.

LOL OK, but keep this is mind that the philosophy past devs of mb2 was "if you cant fix it, call it feature" . And its not that the PB system is bad, its just RNG, well i guess RNG isnt the right word, but its dependent on fps, whether a PB occurs or not. Test it yourself.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
LOL OK, but keep this is mind that the philosophy past devs of mb2 was "if you cant fix it, call it feature" . And its not that the PB system is bad, its just RNG, well i guess RNG isnt the right word, but its dependent on fps, whether a PB occurs or not. Test it yourself.
That wasn't every feature, though. Only if they made sense. Many breakthroughs in development are done by accident, you need to remember that. :p

Supa

The Serial Stacker
PB dependent upon FPS? RNG? lol.
You probably read 1 sentence and took the whole thing out of context. Its like you didn't even want to understand the point I was trying to make, and you are more content to jump to conclusions because you can sometimes win at dueling. Obviously you either haven't played JKA/MB2 for very long, or have little to no knowledge on how net traffic or game engines work.

Stassin

Donator
@Zero i know exactly what you are talking about, and precisely PB in the current system fixed that completely, because PB is no longer dependent on sabers clashing against one another but rather camera aim; so there is no longer any problem of feeling of randomness due to the saber bbox being too small compared to the player's bbox and PB being difficult to control depending on FPS.

I tested at some point removing the classical player bbox used in saber bodyhit detection, keeping only G2 hit detection (making bodyhits only occur when the saber actually hits the player model, rather than some large bbox surrounding it), but this leads to an "unresponsive" saber system where hits are harder to score and visual passthroughs due to latency rule supreme; and bodyhits also look like the sabers go far inside the defender's body which is somewhat ugly. So the large bbox is kept, however again this is no longer an issue in the current system for PB, both saber vs saber hits and saber vs body bbox hits lead to the same effects (both can lead to a bodyhit or a PB, depending on your camera aim with respect to the incoming swing direction).

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team

Your words:
The fact remains, very few have mastered the PB system, and to the rest of us its pure RNG. This is devastating to outside players wanting to wield a saber because they will eventually quit due to lack of understanding. The whole system needs a bigger rework then the transition from b17->b18 or any other changes from previous builds combined.

1) 'To the rest of us its pure RNG' equates to 'I don't know how it works'. It isn't RNG; it's very easy to learn, and structured - unlike previous patches.

I've played MB2 for just over 10 years now, and I have never seen you so...jog on, mate. L2P issue.

Stassin

Donator
@agentoo8 you and @Zero aren't talking about the same thing; Zero is talking about the PBing method from pre-v1.1 (and apparently for some reason thinks it's the same in the current build ?), and you the current one.

Phelps

Donator
No hate there, but I was one of those who left the game because of the revamp.

Basically, I was the old fart, who just played for fun, no actual time to give a crap about learning stuff in the game that will not make my life easier in any way.
So, my Jedi/Sith build hasn't changed through all these years and I did not give a damn, I loved it, even sometimes had decent scores (especially vs gunners, cause I suck at duels). When the revamp hit the fan, my build was gone, I was crippled player as to say. I am not a skilled player, never were.

But dying even against gunners so easily because of the revamp and my lack of need to learn something new made me quit. Points were done differently, so I was basically removed from the option to use my old build. New builds made me suck even worse and I was too tired to learn something new, I'm not a teenager anymore.

Yeah, in the end, I suck, I sucked all these years. But eventually, that revamp made me quit.

I still appreciate the hard work of all the devs through the years and I won't bang this over Stassin's head. Just felt like saying. It was a good riddance, maybe I'll stop by in the game. But these days I feel like only be part of this community here on forums, just for the sake of that last decade of playing this amazing mod.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zed

Cat Lady

The main problem I see with saber system is that swingblocking vs. non-swingblocking gains and loss are utterly unbalanced in favor of swingblocking. As a result, duel servers are full of 100%-time walkers, and it looks like zombies trying to bash themselves to death with glowing baseball bats, rather than saber duels. For worse, the playstyle from duel servers is next to useless in FA/Open mode, and vice-versa.

The thing we need to consider here is risk vs. reward. The reward for swingblocking are rather obvious and big, but what we get for losing all the benefits and slashing while more mobile? A *laughably* low bonus to AP, that makes enemy lose less BP that we lose by just not regenerating BP during slash, not even speaking about all the other losses of not blocking.

Balancing this up would breath fresh air to the stale dueling system - and mobility perks wouldn't be as silly as they are now, by the way. I think that 50% more "attack powah" if WHOLE swing wasn't swingblocked *could* be about OK. Maybe it could also wary between styles (slower styles gaining more AP due to fact that you need to be exposed for longer while no swing-blocking, faster styles gaining less), dunno.

/Cat Lady

Last edited:
Agreed with initial post's #1 and #2. Not sure if I agree with this particular way of doing it, but something like this needs to be done at least in some way.

Can't comment on most of other suggestions, because I need at least the first one to be implemented before I will even think about returning to duels.

#10 will affect open significantly. I would refrain from implementing it for now. Maybe later. Needs to be discussed further. As to backstab and backslash fixes, why wouldn't you suggest fix current mechanics instead of trying to implement other mechanics to cover the existing holes?

With all due respect, adding speed as an option cannot be a vaild fix anyway. The issue with backslashes lies within high knockback, added angles of defence and invulnerability mechanics. Remove them (like it was before, which I actually liked, backslashes were situational skillshots and an interesting style point in a duel), or slightly nerf them (to try and find some middle-ground).

And really, guys, stop making yet another holy war out of a valid suggestion. Stassin, you very much underestimate the ability of experienced players to adapt. I hope you would see the posts provided by SeV as valid criticism (which it is). Any of these changes would resolve some issues without potentially breaking open.

If you remember, I was among the people who defended your view on the dueling and I was ready to give your initial idea a try. I totally understood the frustration of old duelists, because the old system really felt much deeper than the current one. However, the more I watch you work on this system, the more I start feeling like you are not trying to improve it objectively, but more like fit it to your own style of gameplay. And I also do not see any steps taken towards returning the positives of the previous dueling systems.

I've recently played B17 once again, and despite having a lot of archaic mechanics (like HP drain) it still felt much more fun, and even looked much better and more interesting than the current system. At the moment, SeV's suggestions look like the best steps you could take in an attempt to revert to the attractiveness the old systems provided, that were lost in the new one. Especially the countering changes in step 1. Such seemingly tiny change of most basic and core mechanics would actually bring an unexpected amount of inner complexity and interest to the system, and forces people to think more during duels, which can rarely be a bad thing.

Last edited:

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
A fresh duelist dropping his piece:

I started dueling couple days ago and this time I feel like I want to learn more. The system now is a lot clearer compared to the old one (I tried learning dueling before the changes, I had hard time understanding what I am doing). I will probably never become a technical dueler, I enjoy more coming up with tricks on how to defeat my opponent in any way possible and so on enhance my skills especially in open. But still I've learned huge amount of new stuff by just concentrating on duels for couple days. I instantly understood how pbing works and in most cases I understand why I lose a duel or why I win it. So in theory I know how everything works but I just don't have the skill yet and the muscle memory to execute it.

What I find kinda annoying in this new system: Most of the saber katas. They're not particularly a big problem but I think the risk of using them is way too little compared to what you may gain by it. Sometimes I've been able to find a weak spot tho, for example in the end of purple kata the kata user is vulnerable to a melee kata, fits my tricky gameplay but it is annoying if you're into sabering only.