•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Awaiting Gamestate

Hey! Long-time player, some might recognise the name. Went on hiatus about a year ago again, recently returning for a bit of play. Updated my launcher accordingly, still got the same install of JKA as usual, worked fine way back when.

I do have a VPN.

When I attempt to join a server however - and I do mean, any server - it comes up with this message;
IZpRloX.png

This lasts for several minutes, before then telling me the connection has timed out. This is consistent across all servers.

However, if I attempt to join without a VPN, it enters 'Awaiting Gamestate' mode for about 10 seconds, freezes, and about 10 seconds later the whole thing crashes without a message, forcing me to restart from the launcher. Again, this is consistent across all servers.

I'm not a particularly computer savvy person, so I'm at my wit's end, and I'd quite like to return to playing sometime this year. So, any help or insights that could be offered would be very much appreciated.

As stated in the original post, yes, I have tried without a VPN. That just causes the game to go into 'not responding' mode after 10 seconds, before promptly deleting itself without a message, forcing me to reboot it from the launcher.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
have you tried with jamp, network settings good? (Rate 25000, snaps 40, max packets 80-100)

Tried a few things, switched to MBII Client as a test, whatever that is. Seems to be working! Though I do unfortunately have to reset all my hotkeys, so on. But it works!

I lied.

So it turns out that while I can join one or two servers - Paroxysm, for instance - but most others including my favourite, the TR Deathstar server, are inaccessible to me. Same problem as before; awaiting gamestate indefinitely, and then eventually a timed out connection.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
A complete re-install did nothing to fix it.
Indeed it didn't fix it, why should it? Where you people get the idea that "when in doubt, reinstall!"?
You have repair option in MBII Launcher, which returns installation in almost the same state as after fresh install, and it does it in minimum time.
Why users around the globe are so obsessed with the idea of reinstalling software, as a universal way of fixing issues, even when it literally means just deleting files and then creating absolutely same files in the same location?
I do have a VPN.
That's your biggest mistake.
The most popular servers have anti-vpn protection these days, and it usually works by showing "Awaiting gamestate" screen indefinitely (should not be confused with "Awaiting connection" message).
tR are the example of the servers which have anti-vpn system. Casual Corner, AoD and }{ servers also do have it.
Always turn VPN off before starting Movie Battles.
When I attempt to join a server however - and I do mean, any server
This is strange, because while a significant number of servers have anti-vpn, not every server is equipped with that system.
Are you sure you actually tested each and every server, not just two or three?
But as I was saying, you should just disable VPN for MBII.
However, if I attempt to join without a VPN, it enters 'Awaiting Gamestate' mode for about 10 seconds, freezes, and about 10 seconds later the whole thing crashes without a message, forcing me to restart from the launcher.
Weird. Try switching clients: MBII Launcher => Settings => uncheck "Steam integration" (skip if there's no such checkbox) => Engine => MBII Client => Play.
If you already use MBII Client, select jamp instead. Still crashes?
Try running the game with anti-virus completely shut down.
network settings good? (Rate 25000, snaps 40, max packets 80-100)
Network settings have nothing to do with "Awaiting gamestate" screen.
So it turns out that while I can join one or two servers - Paroxysm, for instance - but most others including my favourite, the TR Deathstar server, are inaccessible to me. Same problem as before; awaiting gamestate indefinitely, and then eventually a timed out connection.
tR Deathstar is definitely has anti-vpn system, and it doesn't "just have it", that system also is not perfect. I also experienced the same issue when trying join their server, even despite the fact I didn't have any VPN.
I also couldn't access jkhub.org, the site hosted by the same person who hosts some of the tR servers (some other tR servers are still hosted by Bluefang), Caelum, and that has been resolved only when I pmed Caelum about my issue, and we spend some time testing.

So, try connecting tR Deathstar with VPN turned off.
If it crashes, switch clients from jamp to MBII Client or from MBII Client to jamp.
If it still crashes, come back to this thread.
If it just shows "Awaiting gamestate" indefinitely, contact tR owners and describe the issue, providing your IP address and which exactly server you tried joining. Tell them to contact their hosting service.