•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue FPS Problem

What's your PC specs?
MBII => Settings => Video => Graphics Options 3 => Show driver info => post a screenshot here.
Screenshot_2.png

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
First things first: I asked about two things, specs and screenshot. You only posted driver info but didn't say what a computer you do have -- why?
Why do you believe it's ok to ignore half of the answer about your issue?

Second, turned out you have GLDirect. It's a software that emulates OpenGL via DirectX (Jedi Academy does use OpenGL for ouput, not DX), and, as almost any other emulator, it causes big performance degradation.
That software didn't materialize on your PC outta nowhere; it's you who downloaded and installed it, even if you don't remember it.
It's necessary to delete GLDirect to get better FPS.
If you can't find GLDirect in the list of installed programs, and you don't know how to delete it, delete OpenGL32.dll from "Jedi Academy\GameData". If there is no OpenGL32.dll in that folder, search for OpenGL32.dll on the whole system partion (aka, usually, C: drive), delete it, and reinstall videocard drivers.
To make sure is GLDirect really gone, once again go to MBII => Settings => Video => Graphics Options 3 => Show driver info -- there should be no any mentions of GLDirect; Only NVIDIA- or ATI-related (depends on what graphics you actually do have) data must be there.
If you believe you deleted GLDirect, but "Show driver info" still shows the same text, you didn't delete GLDirect properly. Try again until it says NVIDIA or ATI (or Intel, if integrated video is only thing on your computer).

First things first: I asked about two things, specs and screenshot. You only posted driver info but didn't say what a computer you do have -- why?
Why do you believe it's ok to ignore half of the answer about your issue?

Second, turned out you have GLDirect. It's a software that emulates OpenGL via DirectX (Jedi Academy does use OpenGL for ouput, not DX), and, as almost any other emulator, it causes big performance degradation.
That software didn't materialize on your PC outta nowhere; it's you who downloaded and installed it, even if you don't remember it.
It's necessary to delete GLDirect to get better FPS.
If you can't find GLDirect in the list of installed programs, and you don't know how to delete it, delete OpenGL32.dll from "Jedi Academy\GameData". If there is no OpenGL32.dll in that folder, search for OpenGL32.dll on the whole system partion (aka, usually, C: drive), delete it, and reinstall videocard drivers.
To make sure is GLDirect really gone, once again go to MBII => Settings => Video => Graphics Options 3 => Show driver info -- there should be no any mentions of GLDirect; Only NVIDIA- or ATI-related (depends on what graphics you actually do have) data must be there.
If you believe you deleted GLDirect, but "Show driver info" still shows the same text, you didn't delete GLDirect properly. Try again until it says NVIDIA or ATI (or Intel, if integrated video is only thing on your computer).
Puppytime ur such a smort guy.

But could you, or one of your underlings, please look into this... Capture with jaMME in MBII 1.4.5 (with dropped editing support) The game just isn't the same without demos...

DANKE

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
I was wondering about this for years and had my 2nd PC ever since but I was getting more or less the same FPS drops. It mainly occurs in more modern maps (e.g. New DotF, Cloud City, RepCruiser) and when there are like 8+ players in a server. Which is kind of annoying when base JASP, JAMP, JA+, JK2 have no FPS drops, nor any other games that were released uptill 2015.

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
only really notice it when im on duel_dotf with a full server. Generally open maps never give me problems

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
It’s just Poor optimization from the games side, my friend has an RTX 2060 and he gets fps drops sometimes on maps.

Are you sure? Because then it's freaking ridiculous. Does anyone think it's something that should be looked into? Those maps should not have been implemented - no offense towards the map creators though. I mean it's 2020 and I bet most people have a nuclear reactor-like PC but they still have FPS drops in a 2003 game based mod. It's crazy.

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
well it boils down to only being able to use a single cpu core i think - gpu performance has little impact as there is very little gpu demand
I see but there's no such issue in the base game and I suppose the single CPU core applies to it as well. So optimization issues might still be a problem, right?

I think the main question here is: why haven't the graphic settings been changed to the core in all those years?

Last edited:

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I see but there's no such issue in the base game and I suppose the single CPU core applies to it as well. So optimization issues might still be a problem, right?

I think the main question here is: why haven't the graphic settings been changed to the core in all those years?

Looks like thats your new project

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Are you sure? Because then it's freaking ridiculous. Does anyone think it's something that should be looked into? Those maps should not have been implemented - no offense towards the map creators though. I mean it's 2020 and I bet most people have a nuclear reactor-like PC but they still have FPS drops in a 2003 game based mod. It's crazy.

Its mostly not the maps actually. We have single character models that take 1/2 the detail when you also have holstered weapons enabled of DOTFv2's entire hangar. This is even the case when they're a mile away (non-existent or bad LODs). We've been slowly working on fixing these, but only a handful have made it in. Still more to do.

You really shouldn't be dropping that low on a decently modern PC. Mine is almost 4 years old now, and I built a lot of those maps on a PC built in 2008. I never really had a problem with frames dropping below my cap even on full servers except for if I had enhanced EFX enabled.

However, there is a lot of things that make FPS die, like the visibility part of the engine that makes things draw for complete bullshit reasons on maps that I have never been able to figure out. (like there is a spot on DOTF where if you're in side route, you can see throne even when doors are closed). Old engine sucks sometimes.

The Unguided

Movie Battles II Team
Its mostly not the maps actually. We have single character models that take 1/2 the detail when you also have holstered weapons enabled of DOTFv2's entire hangar. This is even the case when they're a mile away (non-existent or bad LODs). We've been slowly working on fixing these, but only a handful have made it in. Still more to do.

You really shouldn't be dropping that low on a decently modern PC. Mine is almost 4 years old now, and I built a lot of those maps on a PC built in 2008. I never really had a problem with frames dropping below my cap even on full servers except for if I had enhanced EFX enabled.

However, there is a lot of things that make FPS die, like the visibility part of the engine that makes things draw for complete bullshit reasons on maps that I have never been able to figure out. (like there is a spot on DOTF where if you're in side route, you can see throne even when doors are closed). Old engine sucks sometimes.

I see. I'm guessing the maps because most of the time I experience FPS drops on certain maps no matter the player count online. While in other maps it's not so (or not at all) noticeable. Of course there can be certain player/weapon models too, which there are.

What do we consider decently modern PC?
My PC is a bit older than yours though, 7 years old actually. Does it hit that scale? xD
CPU: AMD Athlon II X4 641 Quad-Core 2.80 Ghz
RAM: 8 GB
Video Card: AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series (1 GB dedicated memory, 4 GB distributed memory)

My ingame settings:
Texture Quality and Color Depth are set Default.
Texture Filter is usually set on Bilinear.
Geometric Detail is of course High, though I prefer Texture Detail on Very High.
Enhanced EFX is always on Normal.
Dynamic Glow and Light Flares are always OFF.
Dynamic Lights and Wall Marks are usually ON.
Shadows and Grenade Glows: Simple.
Anistropic Filter slider is set around 1/3.
Holstered weapons: Self only
Detailed Shaders: ON

@Puppytine Could you please approve this? I really have a hard time with this and I see you have quite an insight.

Looks like thats your new project

Well, I don't mean to sound rude or omniscient. I actually helped the team to clean up leftover files that has been lingering for quite some time and I'm responsible for up to 30 model.glm merges in the past couple of years. (Nowadays I study about adding LODs.) Things were much worse than now. I just think this topic is not being discussed enough.