Tiny bundle of tiny ideas

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
1. Raise the cap for cg_truefov. It only applies in first person, so it's unlikely to give any advantage to anyone over third person really, and trueview guns are a pain in the ass anyway. The point is just to make first person saber more feasible. For funzies.

2. Add a "first person only" server cvar that disables third person. For funzies.

3. Add a client cvar that makes the crosshair disappear for as long as Attack is pressed/held. This is just something I think would help my aim/gunning in particular contexts, and want to try, but can't make into a script myself afaik.

edit: 4. Add a client cvar that disables or heavily tones down the first person pain effects (red flash and I think the camera itself even jerks up, throwing off your perception of your aim). This would go a long way towards improving the viability of first person. I really want to be able to use first person heavily without massive tradeoffs, because first person definitely improves my aim at close ranges. And it already has the major tradeoff of not being able to peek.

edit 2:
5. Remove or optionalize "idle drift," the slowwwwww, constant up-right to down-left movement of guns in first person. This would enable me to make an "accurate viewmodels" mod where the viewmodels all line up with the muzzlepoints.

- moving the pistol and E-11 viewmodels a little bit right so they're lined up with where the shots actually appear, the way T-21/CR are
- giving guns like A280/DLT/EE-3 that have centerscreen muzzlepoints some "classic Doom" style viewmodels since that look a lot more accurate for where the shots come from, although still inaccurate. First person with those guns should basically look almost like a constant aim-down-sights lol
- fixing dual pistol viewmodels to not crash the game. Also, making them accurate to the muzzlepoint if that's possible lol, probably not possible, since the muzzlepoint is so high up.

Last edited:
Your ideas are tiny. And small.

No to 2. I can't stand seeing the inside model of the skin. It's just too crappy.

If it wasnt for that, bouncy movement and that blinding flash of light when you're hit, I'd enjoy playing in 1st. But I don't. Mostly because I'm too lazy to switch perspectives. I'm old fashioned like that.

Oh yes! I wanted an 1P person serv only for so long! It's so fun, but so unfair unless agaisnt another 1P player....

I agree on all of ur bundle! I want it.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Your ideas are tiny. And small.

No to 2. I can't stand seeing the inside model of the skin. It's just too crappy.

If it wasnt for that, bouncy movement and that blinding flash of light when you're hit, I'd enjoy playing in 1st. But I don't. Mostly because I'm too lazy to switch perspectives. I'm old fashioned like that.
Bouncy movement can be disabled by turning off View Swaying, although the in-game menu item for that seems really buggy and strange, but once you convince it to work the way you want it, it stays. That's really important for sniping, especially with ARC, otherwise moving with scope up is unusable.

Good point about the disorienting first person pain effects though. Devs, can those be optional or toned down?

By "inside model of the skin"... what do you mean? You said that as "No to 2," 2 is just a "force first person" thing. First person doesn't force you to see an "inside model of the skin" ...

I'm no expert but for me 1st person is 40% inside skin or maladjusted camera.From wooks to various gunner classes, the same issue.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I'm no expert but for me 1st person is 40% inside skin or maladjusted camera.From wooks to various gunner classes, the same issue.
Uhh... turn off "TrueView Guns"? Melee/Saber are always trueview but I don't get that kind of camera clipping with them. TrueView Guns can be pretty gross a lot of the time tho.

(Only idea 1 references TrueView.)

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I kind of lost track here. :p

Was this something important or relevant?
If you want to play in First Person (which in my experience helps my aim a lot) without having crazy clipping happening, try going to camera options and turning off "TrueView Guns."

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Walking and firing with most trueview guns means having a gun shoved in your face blocking your camera tho

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
speaking of gun shoved in your face:

I made a test "doom-style" viewmodel for A280, to try to make a viewmodel that was actually accurate to the A280 muzzlepoint and therefore intuitive to use.

shot2018-03-19_04-05-52.jpg

But there's a rather big problem: first person viewmodels all have "gunbob" and "idle drift" applied to them, and I can't figure out any way to disable them via cvars or mods. I think it must be basically hardcoded in. As a result, the supposed-to-be-centered gun drifts and bounces all over the place.

The JA++ jedi academy mod adds cvars for adjusting the gunbob and idledrift. I know I'm a niche audience (tryhard first-person gunnermain), but, I will say, well, I really wish these cvars were in MB2. :p

If they were, I could set the idledrift to 0 and keep the gunbob at a very subdued value, and finally have an actually completely intuitive point-and-shoot A280 aiming experience.

As it is, I'll say the little mod I made actually goes a very long way towards making A280 more intuitive anyway.

I really need to bluster my way onto the dev team so I can make all these obscure blaster-nerd tweaks I want made.

edit: I think lines 264-269 of this Jedi Academy source file right here basically need to be purged from existence to free me from Idle Drift, so I can make accurate viewmodels for every gun.

lines 230 and 232 could have the 0.005 changed to 0.002 to make gunbob way less dramatic too

devs pls

fix ur fukn gaem /s

Last edited:

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I don't think this would solve your problem. All weapons (afaik) have a hardcoded adjustment to make the bolt fire from the correct place.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Not trying to change gun behavior, just trying to fix the first person reference visual to make aiming more intuitive (point the big gun where you want to hit). The reference visual is currently

1. Waaay off from the muzzle point (the place the shot fires from) for guns that have optional scopes, because these guns fire from your nose.
2. Bobbing and drifting a ton, which isn't as noticeable when it's where it usually is, but is extremely noticeable for my custom viewmodels that are accurate to the muzzle point.

Playing in first person improves my close range aim and general "clarity of thinking" in close range fights tremendously, but I'm bothered that every viewmodel for a gun-with-a-scope is totally inaccurate to the muzzlepoint. I either have to focus extra hard on the crosshair itself or basically just imagine the gun being where it actually is. :p

You could also maybe fix this by making guns-with-scopes act like SBD's "scope." SBD's unscoped muzzlepoint and scoped muzzlepoint are actually completely different from each other, unlike every other scoped weapon in the game. But I know it's also coded differently, being an ability rather than an alternate fire. Still, if that could be applied, then guns like A280/EE-3 etc could have CR-style muzzlepoints (fitting their viewmodels) when unscoped.

But I think Idle Drift could just be taken out without anyone being bothered. (or even really noticing, except me. :p)

(T-21/CR/Bowcaster viewmodels are lined up with their muzzlepoint. E-11/Pistol viewmodels are lined up in cg_fov 80 but are off in cg_fov 97. A280/DLT/EE-3/M5/Ruptor viewmodels are waaaaaay off since they're positioned like the other viewmodels but fire from that middle-of-screen point. So I'm trying to make "doom-style" or "ADS-style" middle-of-screen viewmodels.)

(and I'm also trying to make FOV 97 viewmodels for E-11/Pistol. I actually already made one for one version of pistol. There's a bunch of pistol versions to change tho.)

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Oh also (and note that I edited the post above this one quite a bit), the Idle Drift isn't centered/balanced. The gun drifts from "nearly centered" to "way far down and left." Very asymmetrical. Very gross. At least for custom doom-style viewmodels. It makes sense for the default, right-hip style viewmodels.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
It isn't built for what you are trying to do. :p
It makes sense for the default, right-hip style viewmodels.

Same as how the E-11/Pistol viewmodels ARE lined up in cg_fov 80, but any sane person's probably playing at cg_fov 97, and they're not lined up there. Which is gross. :p

Again: Just wiping out idle drift itself and maaaaybe reducing those two figures that determine gunbob would go a loooong way towards making my mod possible, and my mod would go a long way towards making first person guns feel really good.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I know you said that probably should have been a bit more clear, but it isn't something you can just change on the fly or very easily. A lot of these sway, look, etc animations in video games are based on matrix mathematics which is pretty simple for a computer to do but can be complicated to write out if you have never done it before. So all you can really do is just say no and disable them, but that is even worse visually to do. Games that don't have drift just look very unnatural and ruin the immersion factor. So there really isn't a way for this to look good without a lot of work.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Well, even still, it wouldn't hurt (and wouldn't be very difficult) to add a cvar that just toggles idle drift.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Also, the idle drift code doesn't seem complex at all:
Code:
scale = /*cg.xyspeed + */40;
fracsin = sin( cg.time * 0.001 );
angles[ROLL] += scale * fracsin * 0.01;
angles[YAW] += scale * fracsin * 0.01;
angles[PITCH] += (scale * 0.5f ) * fracsin * 0.01;

Looks like it just uses Sine to have that smooth, curve-like motion back and forth. Surely some relatively simple figure somewhere could be adjusted to make the idle drift just go straight up and down instead of diagonal.