Lightsaber style specifics

I'm a fairly new player: only been playing for a few weeks, although I've gotten quite good and know a lot about the game, but I wanted to know more about lightsaber styles other than their perks. Things like swing speeds, number of combos, and how much BP they have.

Oh, thats a good questions

> number of swings in combo
Blue: 2
Yellow: 4
Red: 3
Purple: 3
Staff: 4

> how much BP styles have
Very interesting question. I don't know exact numbers. Maybe some developer can tell? Dunno

> swing speeds
I might be dead wrong, but let me tell you how I believe swings work in general.

Typically each swing is made up from three different parts each going one after another:
Start -> Middle part -> Ending

[Start]
In this part your saber goes from where it was before the swing started to the point where the actual swing begins. Your saber doesn't do any damage during "start" and "end" parts of the swing. This is also the part where you get interrupted.

Example: animation of saber going from defending position to the starting point of an actual swing

[Middle parrt]
Muffin to say here. This is the part where you deal actul damage. As far as I understand it - those fast swings in combo chain are actually only middle parts of swings, without starting and ending animations. If caught by opponents swing during this part you'll get parry.

[Ending]
Ending is simple. This is the part where your saber goes from ending point of middle part to the starting point of the new swing or to defending position. Just like during starting part your saber doesn't do any damage.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some examples

- Normal swing, no target: starting part -> middle part -> ending
- Comboed swing: only middle part
- Comboed swing, missed the target: middle part -> ending
- Halfswing & counter: only middle part, but faster. How it is done? Probably animation starts not from the first frame.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, to answer your question about swing speeds.
You can find all these animations in humanoid.gla file, which is located somewhere in mb2 assets.pk3 (don't remember which pk3 tho). Just extract this file and open it via modview tool. You can find modview on jkhub.org, the installation is a bit tricky but there is a tutorial somewhere.

So, after opening it you'll find that each animation have a duration in milliseconds. Just find your desired swing starting part and middle part. Now, sum up their durations -> there you have your swing speed in milliseconds.

Buuut
I have only one concern, however, are these numbers real? It might be that swing speeds are actually controlled by some other method in the game code. But never the less these animations is a helpful reference material anyway.

Last edited:

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
> how much BP styles have
Very interesting question. I don't know exact numbers. Maybe some developer can tell? Dunno
and how much BP they have.

All styles have the same universal 100bp amount. Each style has a somewhat hidden defence and attack value which determines how much bp damage they do and take. Correct me if im mistaken

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
My memory's a little foggy, but I think swing speeds are controlled by the code.

All styles have the same universal 100bp amount. There is a somewhat hidden defence value which determines how much bp damage they take. Correct me if im mistaken

There's also a hidden offense value which determines how much damage they deal.

My memory's a little foggy, but I think swing speeds are controlled by the code.
Thanks for the reply, I expected that
It's difficult to believe that developers have to alter animations each time they want to change swing speeds.

Thank you all for the replies.

All styles have the same universal 100bp amount. Each style has a somewhat hidden defence and attack value which determines how much bp damage they do and take. Correct me if im mistaken
Is there any way to see these hidden values?

I feel like these sorts of things need to be documented and put on a wiki or something.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
They are mentioned from time to time, usually when they change... I think you might be interested in the 1.4.3, 1.4.4 or 1.4.5 patch notes?