•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] why is my FPS so awful?

2 GTX 980s SLI 4GB
i7 4820k
16GB RAM

so ever since I started playing this I noticed the FPS was pretty terrible at times but ignored it, but now the more maps I play, some maps are just unplayable with how poorly they run, and I don't understand why. I know the game wasn't optimized to play well on newer cards, but I've heard people with similar hardware say they get perfect FPS with everything maxed. I've tried tons of stuff to fix it but none of it seems to help (com_affinity 1, setting max fps to 125, trying at lowest settings possible, turning off SLI, changing engine, etc). any ideas?

and for what it's worth, I notice it most when turning in maps. seems like that when the lag is at its worst, can drop to like 10 FPS.

Try changing the network settings to this:
1: Hop into ingame settings, and tweaks the network values!

Datarate should be... at least 25k.
Max packets about... 30 or 40
My BackupPacket is at... 1
TimeNudge i'm not sure, mine is set to... none
Snaps... 40
Lagometer... on.
This was posted by Lyrion a couple threads down about ping issues. Might be that your internet settings are not set correctly. I had this problem and this setup fixed all my lag/fps issues.

I'm just playing the default MBII with the network settings Lyrion posted and I have no issues. Have you tried the game with default settings with the internet options only? Or does it still get low fps?

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah you're right that the game isn't optimized for newer cards. I use max 12% of my GPU and like 6% of my CPU. The game is mostly CPU bound though but your 4820k is plenty.

Yours definitely shouldn't be as low as you are mentioning. One thing I believe you can try that works with some games. You can set max pre-rendered frames to 1 for JKA. Personally setting the affinity to one core stopped working for me once I had a decent CPU.

You can also try making sure the network settings are set like the above.

However, part of this is on us. A large majority of the player character and weapon models simply aren't optimized properly. Many lack Level of Detail meshes for example, or are too high poly for JKA to handle. There are other issues with the FX system that we should work on and more.

You could also try doing a config reset, just to see if anything accidently was changed in there that could cause it (go to jedi academy/gamedata/mbii and delete jampconfig.cfg) but you will need to rebind everything.

did the NVIDIA Control Panel setting + fresh config file with just network settings changed and the FPS is still the same. I'm starting to believe that this is a model issue, as I get perfect FPS when I'm in a server by myself or before the first round of a game starts. still no idea why it would be that detrimental for my GPU and CPU though.

Try disabling all background software, including anti-viruses, game recording program, and everything else.
been doing that since I opened this thread, no noticeable change.

also worth mentioning that even running the game at lowest settings in the lowest resolution (640 x 480) changed nothing, making me suspect the models even more..

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah the resolution and most settings wouldn't change much in this case.

However, I would like to see you try this: J| Tryhard Duelist FPS Pak™ 3.5

It only works with jedi/sith models but you could try and join a dueling server just to see if it has any impact.

@GrandCoderJohn is working on a way to do this officially as another performance option (having a default model per class that is highly optimized that everyone would see if they choose a setting in the menu)

It still shouldn't be anywhere near as detrimental as you are mentioning. So there is still something else wrong that I can't quite pinpoint.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
I think the FPS is too low to be accounted for by only the bad models. I play on a single 970 and I don't drop below 80fps.

Can you give us some information about what type of disks you have, and the location and size of your page file? Does the disk thrash as you play?

duelist fps pak didn't work. after I uninstalled it and tried open mode, i noticed that the fps really seems to go down when blaster shots or tons of lightsabers are on the screen, but idk what could be doing that. dynamic glow is permanently off and no other effect makes a difference it seems.

Last edited:

Lervish

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Quite odd, it definitely shouldn't be that low with a rig like that despite our lack of optimization. Do you have a motherboard with an integrated GPU? Sometimes in those cases getting programs to make use of the dedicated GPU can be a bitch, and instead they wanna run with the shitty Intel HD.

Quite odd, it definitely shouldn't be that low with a rig like that despite our lack of optimization. Do you have a motherboard with an integrated GPU? Sometimes in those cases getting programs to make use of the dedicated GPU can be a bitch, and instead they wanna run with the shitty Intel HD.
nah, it's a desktop and there's no integrated GPU at all. it seems like I'm completely out of options tbh, nothing has worked even a little lol

like I said, it seems most noticeable when there's a bunch of lights on the screen like blaster fire or sabers/saber clashing, but changing all the settings to do with those things did nothing at all. I'm stumped!

well, I uninstalled for a second time and deleted any trace of JA and reinstalled, and it seems to be better now. it's not flawless and there's still drops (mostly in intense situations now), but it's significantly more consistent. if anyone else comes across this thread from searching then I'd suggest trying it if nothing else works.

thanks to everyone that tried to help!

If you're having random lag spikes in intense/combat situations, i've found that turning off dynamic lighting cured that for me and other people i've told that to in game. Maybe give that a try if you haven't already?

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Cap your FPS and tell me results. Anything capped over 120 (including uncapping) I believe hinders performance due to some server internal fps thingamabob

Plasma

Movie Battles II Team Retired
It's been awhile since I've had 2 graphics card running in SLI mode but I vaguely remember having to disable SLI when I played Jedi Academy to improve performance. Good to see your problem has mostly been fixed though by just reinstalling.
304-coop-thumbs-up-sonny-jim.gif