switching styles in battle?

how many of you switch between different lightsaber styles mid-battle? i tend to do this as a noob and would like to know if its a valid tactic

Fletcher Time

Master of Puppets
Donator
Community Liason
I don't do it for duels. When I first started playing, I really liked using blue for dueling (even though it was severely under-powered), and using yellow for killing gunners (It took 2 hits with blue to kill a gunner), however as things changed, I started using only yellow for everything. It's really a preference thing.

would like to know if its a valid tactic
Yeh, but I think you gotta master both styles before you can do it though. Because otherwise you won't be able to change styles without losing momentum.

Losing momentum is bad. Being confused -> Being predictable. Bad. Style changes without complete understanding of said styles is a pathway to many disappointments.

Edit: just realised there are more gamemodes in mb2 than just hueling

Edit: just realised there are more gamemodes in mb2 than just hueling

Lmao!

On a different note, I do happen to have blue ready for any moment in open. I roll with yellow ,as it is my main style but killing soldiers is so much fun with blue and efficient. Even finishing off a really low HP wook or SBD with blue is worth it. The other usage of my 2nd style (blue once again) is to survive / win a 1vs2+ situation in open. I'd there are 2 or more sith on me I usually switch to blue in order to mblock the most predictable opponent and get a quick kill. Then if it's just 2 or 1 opponents left I go back to using yellow and do my magic c:

This might not work for you, but I'll fall back from yellow or purple to blue if I'm in dire need of defense, it'll let me turtle and regen bp while removing their acm.

I have heard of people using red for offense and staff for defense, Honestly never tried it myself and can't tell you how good it actually is though.

I have heard of people using red for offense and staff for defense, Honestly never tried it myself and can't tell you how good it actually is though.

It is pretty efficient my dude, but you gotta yaw the hell out of those red swings and stay unpredictable

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Used to be a valid tactic in 1.3, hasn't been since.

Styles don't do any damage without ACM or interrupts, so there is utterly no point in switching. In fact you would actually be gimping yourself heavily.

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Used to be a valid tactic prior to v1.1, hasn't been since, and absolutely needs to be brought back and encouraged once again along with a number of other things tbh. But we'll just have to wait and see what the current saber system designer has in store.

Styles don't do any damage without ACM
Apart from red unless it got changed since i last played but that's actually a crucial point you are making there. SeV did mention a while ago that ACM needs to kick in much later after a lead of like 5 bodyhits, as it did before v1.1, and that's indeed a crucial part of encouraging style switching.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Used to be a valid tactic prior to v1.1, hasn't been since, and absolutely needs to be brought back and encouraged once again along with a number of other things tbh. But we'll just have to wait and see what the current saber system designer has in store.

It's back and forth, really. The last patch I enjoyed was 1.3, and to a lesser extent public.

Apart from red unless it got changed since i last played but that's actually a crucial point you are making there. SeV did mention a while ago that ACM needs to kick in much later after a lead of like 5 bodyhits, as it did before v1.1, and that's indeed a crucial part of encouraging style switching.

You changed Red post 1.4 to do less damage, and with the recent changes it's effectively useless. The main method of damage in the current patch is through interrupts (hitting a non blocking opponent, basically) and huge ACM leads. Even with max ACM, styles barely do any damage to a blocking opponent.

You can store like +4 or +5 ACM on Red, fight with yellow for a bit, slap them down, swap back to red, and do a 3 hit combo, only to do next to nothing in terms of BP damage. Which, thankfully is being changed.

What pisses me off about the new stuff, is that Tempest keeps trying to add this annoying Normal Block mechanic, which is entirely redundant (and random) due to the existence of aimed-PB. No one I've talked to likes this, but he seems intent upon keeping it for some mysterious reason.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I sometimes have red along with yellow for surprise RDFA. I switch style to red and immediately RDFA. To them it looks like I do it from yellow. Also nice to get a stagger in and switch back to yellow to gain acm in that moment

Stassin

Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
What pisses me off about the new stuff, is that Tempest keeps trying to add this annoying Normal Block mechanic, which is entirely redundant (and random) due to the existence of aimed-PB. No one I've talked to likes this, but he seems intent upon keeping it for some mysterious reason.
Because he listens to feedback, y'know. But objectively such a mechanic has potential to be good i believe, except it has clear negatives of 1) being quite difficult to implement properly so that it feels natural in actual gameplay, and 2) complexifying the system even more than it is when the opposite should be done. But it definitely has potential, much more so than the myriad of small tweaks and little features and perks (ACM gains in ultra-specific situations, +20% BP dmg here and there) that he is adding literally everywhere for every styles for every situation for... i dunno, probably for balance, eh ?

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Because he listens to feedback, y'know. But objectively such a mechanic has potential to be good i believe, except it has clear negatives of 1) being quite difficult to implement properly so that it feels natural in actual gameplay, and 2) complexifying the system even more than it is when the opposite should be done. But it definitely has potential, much more so than the myriad of small tweaks and little features and perks (ACM gains in ultra-specific situations, +20% BP dmg here and there) that he is adding literally everywhere for every styles for every situation for... i dunno, probably for balance, eh ?

There's no point to such a mechanic when aimed PB already serves the purpose it needs to. Also perks are demonstrably fine and add flavor to styles. Without making every style feel unique then they would all be ridiculously bland copies of each other with varying damages and speeds.

nb is bad i agree with stassin, simplify the system and make the core dueling balanced