Revamping the way of sniping

Thinking about sniping lately, an idea of changing sniping in Mb2 came to my mind that seemed too interesting not to share.

This system would be the base to all sniper weapons except for the disruptor, since it already works pretty similar to it.

The System:
For all sniper weapons the accuracy would gradually increase as soon as you start scoping - no matter if you are running, flying or wallrunning.
It would be displayed with an increasingly smaller getting circle indicating your current accuracy level and a flashing crosshair once you gained full accuracy. The accuracy would start with an extremely big circle at first, so if you are quickscoping you would only get a certain hit when your enemy almost fills up all of your screen.

Why it sounds so interesting to me:
  • Supports shotgun sniping and quickscoping with high risk/high reward
  • Gives offensive snipers an advantage over pop-up snipers
  • Pop-up sniping is still possible with rewarding fast reaction and aim if you go into scope before popping up.
  • For defensive, out in the open snipers not much would change
  • Simulates the focusing of a sniper
  • Gives devs an intuitive base (for players) to play around with different types of sniper weapons (you can give some weapons full accuracy only while walking or even standing, or have weapons, which increase accuracy faster than others)
@Devs: Would this system even be possible? If you can't increase accuracy gradually, can you at least have more than 2 states of accuracy?
@Players: What do you think about this system?

edit: after quickly watching how CS:GO does it i have to add that this system would take longer to reach full accuracy (between 1,5 and 3 seconds maybe) and the initial accuracy would be extremely low.

Last edited:

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This system is possible. This is what snipers use in games like CSGO for instance.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
- no matter if you are running, flying or wallrunning.

Yes to basically everything except that. It defeats the purpose of the change if you can just sit scoped behind a wall to get accuracy, then just peak to get the accurate shot. You should have to hold still to get that improved accuracy.

I much prefer the old CoD4 Pre1.6 method of having to hold your breath to get an accurate shot (before they made it always accurate, and thus brought in quickscope cancer), which didn't necessarily require you to hold still, but did require you to time your breath holds (Had to be standing still or walking if I remember correctly). Too early and your shot will be inaccurate, too late and you'll run out of breath and it'll be inaccurate.

Yes to basically everything except that. It defeats the purpose of the change if you can just sit scoped behind a wall to get accuracy, then just peak to get the accurate shot. You should have to hold still to get that improved accuracy.

I do agree with that, but the accuracy doesn't necessarily have to go to perfect accuracy while doing these things.
Think of it as having a shotgun in the first second of scoping. In this second you could shoot with low accuracy while moving as you like to. If you want more accuracy you'd have to wait a little longer and maybe even have to slow down. This could be adjusted differently to different weapons.

And i think this would actually make it harder sitting behind a wall than it is now. You would need to get into scope and would lose track of your targets that you had perfect vision of in third person before. While charging accuracy those targets could have moved and once you pop up you need to actually react instead of just activating your muscle memory once you go out and get into scoping.

This idea was heavily influenced by the currently proposed projectile change by the devs, which got a lot of criticism. But i do like the idea of charging accuracy and i think this way it would negate most of that criticism while giving tons of room to adjust and balance it for different weapons.

@Moonman: There wouldn't be a need to delay scoping and shooting anymore since it would be balanced by pretty low accuracy at first. You then could even have a specialized 'shotgun' sniper weapon that starts with higher accuracy initially.

I don't think the idea proposed by Ben received criticism more than it asked for clarification. I think what people wanted to know was that after waiting 1.5 s to focus, would focus be lost on moving, or would focus last until leaving scope. The obvious scenario on our minds is that can you scope the wall, wait, then run out and shoot with perfect accuracy.

I think it has to be this way, of course. Having it any other way would remove projectile's ability to counter-snipe an entrenched disruptor user.

I like both ideas, and I hope at least one of them makes it through. Mainly because waiting to shoot after scoping feels obnoxious.

I don't think the idea proposed by Ben received criticism more than it asked for clarification. I think what people wanted to know was that after waiting 1.5 s to focus, would focus be lost on moving, or would focus last until leaving scope. The obvious scenario on our minds is that can you scope the wall, wait, then run out and shoot with perfect accuracy.

From how it was worded i just assumed, that the accuracy would completely reset if you start moving again and based my own criticism on that (i think others did too, but you're right 'a lot of criticism' was worded too harshly). If it indeed was meant to keep accuracy after one charge, it would basically be exactly the same as i described above just with less and different layers to it.

I think the way it is is fine. There should be innacuracy for about 0.5-1 second when you move a sniper to prevent quick peeks.
Shotgun sniping is already really hard risk-wise. no need to make it more.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd

I think it has to be this way, of course. Having it any other way would remove projectile's ability to counter-snipe an entrenched disruptor user.

I like both ideas, and I hope at least one of them makes it through. Mainly because waiting to shoot after scoping feels obnoxious.

I would prefer all scoped weapons require a period of 'steady your breath to take an accurate shot', where they have a 'sweet spot' of perfectly still motion where a shot is entirely accurate, as again happened in CoD4 Pre-1.6

Disruptor would obviously need to be changed a bit to be balanced. However, there would be no such thing as an 'entrenched' sniper posing a problem, since they can't 'hold their breath' forever, and they would lose accuracy after a short time.