Thinking of coming back - just one question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
...is it true that the game has deteriorated into a SJW/leftist bubble, censoring all forms of comedy and banter/edgy humour? I've heard people have been banned for posting stupid photos, that certain people have left the team due to this 'Iron Fist' mentality.

I refer chiefly to Puppytine's farewell, eezstreet's farewell, the censorship of K4far/Kwinto/Hessu/Billy/Aaron/Etc in the photo thread.

The game I remember and love is one of all sorts of people intertwined into one community: trolls, elitists, roleplayers, trigger-happy admins & the genuinely nice gamers (I'm looking at you, Hex). People had their arguments, their fights, but the idea of censorship & banning someone for expressing their thoughts as per a free society, on a game (!!) no less, is somewhat troubling.

It is what made MB2, MB2. You could play however you wanted. If people didn't take kindly to you, they could ban you - fair enough (but on their own private servers, not on a more 'global' scale). From what I've been told, however, the game has taken a turn for the worse due to the self-righteous administration of both the forums and the discord. The idea that feelings are more important than freedom of speech, that being sensitive to things warrants completely shutting down banter and/or edgy mediums of expression.

Can someone set my mind at ease? Are Viserys/Catlady/et al really acting as per how I've been told?

Cheers, and hope all are well.

PS. I hope for some positive discourse between staff/community, as opposed to just censoring/removing my post. The idea of freedom of expression (yes, even on a game) is important to talk about, should it be under threat.

Last edited:
As expected, a most intellectual reply without any sentimental attachment! Let's not derail, cheers.
Oh now suddenly you dislike banter and free expression? That opinion changed quickly.

Or do you say we need someone to moderate the forums?

*edit* oh and the passive aggressive liking of posts is also nice

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Oh now suddenly you dislike banter and free expression? That opinion changed quickly.

Or do you say we need someone to moderate the forums?

I'm the biggest advocate of banter and free speech - especially when its done with wit and at opportune moments! You just didn't offer anything useful to the question I'm asking, is all, hence the 'let's not derail' (derailed topics have a tendency to have their meaning/OP intent obscured and dissipated).

(By the way, what's with all the het up anger? You seem very upset :/ I don't want to engage in a petty game of mbfisticuffs with you, because you'll end up virtue signalling or something and I'll feel bad because of white privilege)

I'm the biggest advocate of banter and free speech - especially when its done with wit and at opportune moments! You just didn't offer anything useful to the question I'm asking, is all, hence the 'let's not derail' (derailed topics have a tendency to have their meaning/OP intent obscured and dissipated).

(By the way, what's with all the het up anger? You seem very upset :/ I don't want to engage in a petty game of mbfisticuffs with you, because you'll end up virtue signalling or something)
I just replied to attention whore threads with a certain distrust that's all. And please refrain from using big words to make yourself sound smart. It doesn't work

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
I just replied to attention whore threads with a certain distrust that's all. And please refrain from using big words to make yourself sound smart. It doesn't work

Okay sweetie <3 Now that you've got that off your chest, is there any truth to my original point? Would greatly appreciate any feedback from a fully-fledged beta like yourself (by the way, that is banter, i.e. that which I am inquiring about)

fully-fledged beta like yourself.
Ahhh fresh from 4chan I see.

For the topic:
This is a forum and a forum gets moderated. And how it is moderated lies in the hands of those who own it.

If some idiot thinks its okay to post stuff that the devs don't want after the 10th warning its fine to ban them in my opinion. You are still free in whatever you want to say in the game chat. But please note that even those servers are private owned and have the option to mute you.

Free speech doesn't doesn't save you from reaction to what you say.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Ahhh fresh from 4chan I see.

For the topic:
This is a forum and a forum gets moderated. And how it is moderated lies in the hands of those who own it.

If some idiot thinks its okay to post stuff that the devs don't want after the 10th warning its fine to ban them in my opinion. You are still free in whatever you want to say in the game chat. But please note that even those servers are private owned and have the option to mute you.

Free speech doesn't doesn't save you from reaction to what you say.

Cheers. So the concerns brought to my attention via various means pertaining to how the game is run are null and void? I was a bit disheartened when my friend told me about the censorship thing, and after reading several leaving topics (namely, what prompted these people to leave).

Of course, a private server owner may do what he wants to with his server. My question pertained more to the game as a whole, and whether or not there is some sort of 'scheme' to remove people simply because they are deemed 'offensive' to a select few.

Subaru

Not a car!
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
You are free to post whatever you want as long as it falls under the Code of Conduct - Forums Rules / Code of Conduct

Please refrain from meta-discussion of the CoC as it devolves into flaming. Have a nice day.

Subaru

Not a car!
Donator
Of course, a private server owner may do what he wants to with his server. My question pertained more to the game as a whole, and whether or not there is some sort of 'scheme' to remove people simply because they are deemed 'offensive' to a select few.

There is no "scheme" to remove people. And as you say, the owner of a private server (including the mb2 forums) is free to do what they want with that server. You are still free to do whatever you want on your mb2 server as long as you follow the terms of service for the master server (mainly, don't break the master server, don't pretend to be somebody else's server, don't dox players).

Read up on the 'paradox of tolerance' theory if you don't think freedom of speech should have any limits whatsoever. It's a concept worth thinking about.
With Gumba and myself there already seem to be two persons who would fit into your definition of 'SJW/leftist bubble', so it most certainly is spreading already.
It could be a bit too much for you to swallow, thus i sadly can't guarantee a comfort zone for yourself in this community.

Can't speak for the quality of the dev team (don't know them, don't know games development).

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
As Subaru stated, there's no scheme at play here. We saw a lot of racism as well as very crude jokes of fresh terror attacks. This essentially served as a wake-up call that the moderation had become lacking.

People tend to throw hissy fits if their content is removed even if it goes against the Code of Conduct. Hence what's been going on as of late.

Overall I don't find there to be anything out of the ordinary within the team nor in the community at large. I've been around long enough to see these happen. Nothing new, people just never learn.

Either way, welcome back. It's still the same stuff as it's always been.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
Read up on the 'paradox of tolerance' theory if you don't think freedom of speech should have any limits whatsoever. It's a concept worth thinking about.
With Gumba and myself there already seem to be two persons who would fit into your definition of 'SJW/leftist bubble', so it most certainly is spreading already.
It could be a bit too much for you to swallow, thus i sadly can't guarantee a comfort zone for yourself in this community.

Can't speak for the quality of the dev team (don't know them, don't know games development).

Currently reading Mick Hume's 'Trigger Warning', but I'll give it a look. Personally, I don't think there should be limits - but that's a discussion for another time. We're playing a 12+ year-old game in a very niche community, and if people are honestly playing the victim card here then it's comical to say the least.

Thanks for the honesty, though.

Is there not a section where we can post pure unadulterated, unfiltered & uncensored stuff?

@Ben Good to see you're still around.

@Subaru by remove people i meant silence/ban them from speaking. Thanks for the elaboration on that, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.