One Week and 60+ Hours In

I'm trying hard to learn how to play the game effectively and get better but every time I think I'm showing signs of progression I either play against people who either kill me with ease (not a problem, power to them) or there are people who go around and intentionally give me and others a hard time making it even harder to understand what's going on or improve on certain aspects of the game.

I've tried dueling servers, authentic, and the usual 24/7 Death Star/Naboo maps and I don't see any difference in my stats or effectiveness in-game over the amount of time I've put in. I really like what the developers have done with this mod. A lot of customization, maps and characters from all different eras, and the attention to detail on just about everything, but all of that means nothing if I can't get better at the game. I've looked at the forums for guides, went on YouTube to find what little tutorials are on there and studied them for hours during, in between, and before matches but the skill gap is so big that it's almost discouraging to keep on playing.

I just don't know what to do at this point. As a fan of Star Wars this is a game I really want to continue playing but I just don't know how to improve past the level I'm at right now, I'd like to ask for help or tips on here but from reading through other threads there's just as much destructive criticism as there is constructive, so any helpful suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Hey :)
I'd say you should search for some clans in your region (NA/EU).
It's not really enjoyable to go through the tough beginner times alone.
You will find people to talk to, play with and learn from.

As for the community, well, as Vongs described it in his vid, it's very old and closed, thus not really warm for the newcomers.
But the atmosphere inside the clans is usually completely different. Just find one which fits you and enjoy the best drug in your life :p

As for the community, well, as Vongs described it in his vid, it's very old and closed, thus not really warm for the newcomers.
But the atmosphere inside the clans is usually completely different. Just find one which fits you and enjoy the best drug in your life :p

I've found the most welcoming and helpful players in the dueling servers. Not to say there isn't a handful in every server but this is probably due to the 2 or 3 dueling servers not being as popular as others and the already small community having a sub-community of people who prefer duels over all out PvP. I just see a lot of new players leave as quickly as they come which can be either a good or bad thing depending on how they act and whether or not they follow the rules or legitimately try and learn to play the game.

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
in some respects, it's 100% about reflexes and muscle memory that you can only improve through actually playing the game for a long period of time
in some respects, it's also about knowing the game itself. Maybe record some demos of examples of bad games and we could view them to see where you're going wrong

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I know a guy that started playing fairly recently and improved rapidly. Now he can hang with the normal skill level players in the game in duels. I've seen the same thing happen with ppl who play open. Complete noobs with no skill, but they keep playing and slowly but surely they get better.
Most people are actually kind of awful at MBII, or atleast it's a matter of perspective. The barrier is not as high as you think it is for sure! Though unless you wanna bust your ass for thousands of hours there's probably always gonna be someone that will be impossible for you to defeat. That's part of the beauty of the game I think, that it has such depth of skill.

I don't know if you've checked out my channel yet or not, but people have told me that my videos have helped them alot over the years. The blue name is a link to my channel, I don't know why it says my forum name and not the actual link, wtf?

·sev·

There are mostly dueling vids on my channel, but I also have some open mode gameplay/frag videos which you may find useful/enlightening. In particular you might find the legendarium thingy interesting since it's like 30 minutes long and mostly a compilation of open mode.

-Cheers and best of luck to you. Always great to see new faces popping up, that always makes me happy.

in some respects, it's 100% about reflexes and muscle memory that you can only improve through actually playing the game for a long period of time
in some respects, it's also about knowing the game itself. Maybe record some demos of examples of bad games and we could view them to see where you're going wrong

That'll definitely be helpful if I remember to record. It's easier for me to learn by someone telling me what I'm doing right or what I need to improve on vs watching someone play a specific way and trying to learn off of that.

Quote was really long and didn't want it to take up half of the screen with my reply, sorry for cutting it out :)

How often do you upload and what is your channel name? I'll take in any information I can and I'll subscribe as well.

Thank you, all of you, and anyone else who continues to post on this thread.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
That'll definitely be helpful if I remember to record. It's easier for me to learn by someone telling me what I'm doing right or what I need to improve on vs watching someone play a specific way and trying to learn off of that.

Quote was really long and didn't want it to take up half of the screen with my reply, sorry for cutting it out :)

How often do you upload and what is your channel name? I'll take in any information I can and I'll subscribe as well.

Thank you, all of you, and anyone else who continues to post on this thread.

I upload irregularly, often in cycles whenever a new patch comes out. Channel so far has been mainly to document MBII over the years but I wish I started earlier. I only have footage from 2013 onwards unfortunately but it still became history :)
Channel name is oddly enough ·sev·. Linkwise it'd be youtubestuff/otakuviking but clicking the name should also take you there.

You can also just click this video. It's the one I recommended for maybe gleaning some open mode tricks etc. Hopefully ppl wont mind me posting it, since its the one without music.

I noticed on the first set up clips where you're on Naboo where you behead Nihilus you have a meter on the side of your screen. Is that for BPs and what does the yellow indicator mean. I've never seen it before.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
It's the old UI for bp iirc. anyways yeah most players on the game have at least 1000 hours or close to it. Just dont let trash talk get to u so u can have time to practice. thats our only way to stop noobs from learning is by belittling them

Reactions: SeV
It's the old UI for bp iirc. anyways yeah most players on the game have at least 1000 hours or close to it. Just dont let trash talk get to u so u can have time to practice. thats our only way to stop noobs from learning is by belittling them

Is there a way for me to get that UI or has it been completely taken out?

Just ignore everything that is connected with Jedi/Sith at first. Take some gunner class and go at it. Once you die 1000 times to push you should have learned how to hold shift for example.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
For gunning, it's simply a matter of learning when to take cover, when to walk/run, and how to lead targets. Whether or not you hit a strafing enemy is mostly luck due to momentum-less movement speed and slow projectiles. You're going to die a lot, even at the highest level of gunning you'll likely die a lot unless you stack a team in your favor.

For learning Jedi/Sith, I highly recommend you join a clan, or find someone that can teach you how to saber. If you're in NA, I recommend CB, if you're in EU, I recommend Jedi Order Academy. It also helps to have discord for that regard.

Top saberists in NA are Kael, Takuta, Myself, Tempest, and Vix.

Top saberists in EU are Sekundus, Exodus, Sev, Aaron, and SK5. Though I'm not certain if Sek or Exodus still play.

Reactions: SeV

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
You can get it. Go in setup, visual option and check "draw old class bar".

What the fuck, you're alive? o.o

And yeah the red BP/Fuel bar is called the old class bar. I've never gotten used to the new BP bar since I have to look way down to keep an eye on it. Kind of like the radar in Counter strike or the minimap in starcraft where you develop a reflext to look and check. Old class bar feels much more natural to me.

Btw here are a few other commands I recommend.

/seta cg_thirdpersoncameradamp 1
/seta cg_thirdpersontargetdamp 1

Those two commands prevent the viewswaying. They should be default but aren't for some reason.

/cg_fov 97 (just to make sure you're zoomed out properly)

Glow on grenades, activate anti taunt and voice cmd spam. Bind MB2 specials to Q and E (should be default tbh).
Use scroll wheel on the mouse for push and pull. And smth like Mouse4 or mouse 5 for style switching instead of the distant L button.
Bind F to use.
G = grip/lightning.
bind 2 nextwep so u can use it to cycle through.
R is gud for reload.
Ofc have walk on shift and crouch on CTRL. Remember to walk to prevent getting pushed over. You can crouch to make the push less effective. This is good when u have your back to a ledge and don't want to get pushed down into a pit. Crouch usually prevents that from happening.

I'll go ahead and throw those commands in. Another thing is that I have a big red bar on the top right of my screen that says the location of my teammates and it's on at all times and really clusters up my screen. How do I remove it?

For gunning, it's simply a matter of learning when to take cover, when to walk/run, and how to lead targets. Whether or not you hit a strafing enemy is mostly luck due to momentum-less movement speed and slow projectiles. You're going to die a lot, even at the highest level of gunning you'll likely die a lot unless you stack a team in your favor.

For learning Jedi/Sith, I highly recommend you join a clan, or find someone that can teach you how to saber. If you're in NA, I recommend CB, if you're in EU, I recommend Jedi Order Academy. It also helps to have discord for that regard.

Top saberists in NA are Kael, Takuta, Myself, Tempest, and Vix.

Top saberists in EU are Sekundus, Exodus, Sev, Aaron, and SK5. Though I'm not certain if Sek or Exodus still play.

I feel like one of my mistakes when I started in all out servers is that I immediately went to Sith/Jedi and quickly learned that is not a good idea. I took a break and started gunning last night and found a lot more success.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I feel like one of my mistakes when I started in all out servers is that I immediately went to Sith/Jedi and quickly learned that is not a good idea. I took a break and started gunning last night and found a lot more success.
you are now instantly better than all the other newbies with that realization

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
I'll go ahead and throw those commands in. Another thing is that I have a big red bar on the top right of my screen that says the location of my teammates and it's on at all times and really clusters up my screen. How do I remove it?

Ah it's been ages since I played with that. Like, over 5 years. I'm afraid I've forgotten the cmd to remove it, but there should be an option to display team overlay or smth in the options. Maybe the command is smth like cg_displayteamoverlay 0 or show_teamoverlay 0 or whatever. Should be in the options though.

24/7 Death Star

If this one is a jedi, I might be tempted to find him and assist him in experiencing the fullness of MBII.

If you know what I mean...

tenor.gif

Last edited: