•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

[SOLVED] Enable repulse in duel gamemode

I looked but couldn't find it. Since the force repulse ability was disabled in the duel gamemode, how do I reenable it in case I want to host a server with this force power enabled? Is there some console variable for it?

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It was intentionally removed, including the lack of option for enabling it. Duel mode as it is currently evolving is geared toward formal fights and the disruption potential of repulse (especially after friendly fire was removed) was never intended. Having no option ensures a consistent experience no matter the server.

Isn't diversity valued over consistency? I am not a player that requires formal saber fights, but I respect those people, and neither I speak for players whose daily routine was to disrupt dueling players, but, for me, the "random fun" that the duel gamemode sometimes had is all but disappearing. The gamemode had the feel of the "free for all" mode in Jedi Academy, and when wild random deathmatches appeared, it was a gamemode on its own. You have several "levels" of authenticity for the normal gametype, so why not have several levels of "formality" for the duel gamemode? With some minor tweaks, a "force battle" gamemode could be easily born.

Please also consider that public servers aren't the only way people enjoy this mod. Me and my friends enjoy playing over Evolve on a local server, and this change breaks consistency, not enforces it, in a case like this. Giving more freedom to server owners is not necessarily a bad thing. Over time, the community decides whether a certain server is good or not.

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Diversity is never valued over consistency, not in the history of mankind. That's just a failure of priorities.

That being said, I don't really care either way. My opinion of repulse was that its only existence in duels was to ruin duels, so it's rather pointless to exist in it. However, at the same time, admins can put an end to it just as easily.

Dueling without repulse became very boring. I mean If the server was empty you could always join it with your friend and have fun with it without snipers or annoying gunners.

My brother and I like to duel using force powers all the time, makes the duels better and gives us ample practice for force users on open mode as well. That being said I think the feature shouldn't be removed completely but I don't really see any other way to combat trolls, unless the developers want to add in a base-type duel system where both players have to agree to a duel and nobody can interrupt them, I think that would solve most people's problems.

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
In my personal opinion, just like if the population of the Earth is given a chance to democratically elect the president and in the end this position will be taken by some Justin Bieber or Sasha Gray, if we leave an option for server hosts to decide whether they want repulse enabled or not, repulse will be enabled back on almost every duel server and situation will roll back to what it was before. However I see no problem in returning it if JA invite-agree system gets (re?)introduced.

Last edited: