Tiny bundle of tiny ideas

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
1. Raise the cap for cg_truefov. It only applies in first person, so it's unlikely to give any advantage to anyone over third person really, and trueview guns are a pain in the ass anyway. The point is just to make first person saber more feasible. For funzies.

2. Add a "first person only" server cvar that disables third person. For funzies.

3. Add a client cvar that makes the crosshair disappear for as long as Attack is pressed/held. This is just something I think would help my aim/gunning in particular contexts, and want to try, but can't make into a script myself afaik.

edit: 4. Add a client cvar that disables or heavily tones down the first person pain effects (red flash and I think the camera itself even jerks up, throwing off your perception of your aim). This would go a long way towards improving the viability of first person. I really want to be able to use first person heavily without massive tradeoffs, because first person definitely improves my aim at close ranges. And it already has the major tradeoff of not being able to peek.

edit 2:
5. Remove or optionalize "idle drift," the slowwwwww, constant up-right to down-left movement of guns in first person. This would enable me to make an "accurate viewmodels" mod where the viewmodels all line up with the muzzlepoints.

- moving the pistol and E-11 viewmodels a little bit right so they're lined up with where the shots actually appear, the way T-21/CR are
- giving guns like A280/DLT/EE-3 that have centerscreen muzzlepoints some "classic Doom" style viewmodels since that look a lot more accurate for where the shots come from, although still inaccurate. First person with those guns should basically look almost like a constant aim-down-sights lol
- fixing dual pistol viewmodels to not crash the game. Also, making them accurate to the muzzlepoint if that's possible lol, probably not possible, since the muzzlepoint is so high up.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
I believe we have a limited number of total cvars we can add to the game (I could be wrong but I swear I have heard it several times from multiple coders). This one is probably not worth a slot.

JKA's method isn't really built around matrix math and is pretty basic in comparison yes. Just saying if you want to do it right. Matrix math is fairly simple though, just has a bit of mind-warping you have to do for certain parts sometimes.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Remove cg_fwoomp then haha

Again: this mod would be part of a larger "fix" that would make a really big improvement on how a number of first person guns feel

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
In fact, I don't have the concepts quite clear enough in my head, but I'd think that just removing a particular one or two of those angles[ROLL/PITCH/YAW] lines would make the sway go up and down, which would still look pretty decent in all cases and would look a lot better for my mod.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Remove cg_fwoomp then haha

We could, but it is also if its worth the time when we have a crap ton of other things to do. Especially one that needs finishing before solo comes out and hasn't been started code wise yet.

Again: this mod would be part of a larger "fix" that would make a really big improvement on how a number of first person guns feel

While first person isn't perfect, I play with it almost exclusively and just switch to third person around corners and what not. For me at least it is acceptable.

Come on Mace! Give this guy his chance!

He could make 1P gameplay more interesting than it as ever been.

Don't say no to innovation, take a bet! :c

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Certainly I'm trying to keep in mind the shortage of coder time available. That's why I'm putting effort into looking at the JKA code and determining what lines to change and how to change them to make this fix, and how to make the fix in the simplest way possible. If my guesses are correct (and they shouldn't be far off at all, the code seems pretty straightforward), it'd cost barely any coder time at all.

It's cool that you use First Person so heavily, that probably relates to Altroll listing you as one of the most consistent gunners :D

I looked up roll/yaw/pitch, and I'm pretty confident my mod would work a lot better AND default behavior would still look fine if these lines:
Code:
angles[ROLL] += scale * fracsin * 0.01;
angles[YAW] += scale * fracsin * 0.01;
angles[PITCH] += (scale * 0.5f ) * fracsin * 0.01;
were just changed to this:
Code:
angles[PITCH] += (scale * 0.5f ) * fracsin * 0.008;

Realistically, I don't think anyone who plays this game is going to be put off by a slight reduction in the complexity of idle drift.

The gunbob multipliers at the end of these lines could also be cut in half imo:
Code:
angles[ROLL] += scale * cg->bobfracsin * 0.005;
angles[YAW] += scale * cg->bobfracsin * 0.01;
angles[PITCH] += cg->xyspeed * cg->bobfracsin * 0.005;

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
He could make 1P gameplay more interesting than it as ever been.

Well imo to improve first person I wouldn't remove the sway, or put put weapon models center.

I would make a more accurate sway, make sure all weapon ray casts are accurate, put clip ammo numbers on the side of guns like I did with EC and what JKG does, add weapon animations, use render to texture to make scopes look amazing, add some weight to the hud like Crysis does, better True View so it isn't wonky or retardedly using third person models. I would also add better recoil effects, first person specific weapon sounds, do some of the crosshair changes I did for EC that have both a dynamic crosshair and static crosshair at the same time (so you can see where a weapon will snap to when going around corners), etc.

I guess I just don't see how this would be an improvement to basemb2s first person and just only really allow for this mod to happen. So that would be where/how I would personally focus.

Well imo to improve first person I wouldn't remove the sway, or put put weapon models center.

I would make a more accurate sway, make sure all weapon ray casts are accurate, put clip ammo numbers on the side of guns like I did with EC and what JKG does, add weapon animations, use render to texture to make scopes look amazing, add some weight to the hud like Crysis does, better True View so it isn't wonky or retardedly using third person models. I would also add better recoil effects, first person specific weapon sounds, do some of the crosshair changes I did for EC that have both a dynamic crosshair and static crosshair at the same time (so you can see where a weapon will snap to when going around corners), etc.

I guess I just don't see how this would be an improvement to basemb2s first person and just only really allow for this mod to happen. So that would be where/how I would personally focus.

I understand and god... I can only hope for this to be worked on once you guys are done with the most important stuff!

But his idea is pretty neat and I think coupled with yours would make something pretty incredible!

This guy seem passionate enough and also to know his stuff quite well too, consider giving him a chance, plz :(

You guys should work together for this

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Certainly there's lots of cool fancy tweak stuff like that that would be neat and WILL be neat when Eridan Crisis is done, but what I'm focusing on here, please, is a very large improvement (accurate gun viewmodels) that could be made with very little effort from the dev team (update those few lines of code).

I know centered viewmodels is a bit wonky from a modern perspective. I like it as a callback to doom AND as a way to make those particular guns feel WAY more "simple" to aim.

Yes, it would only allow the mod to happen. But the mod itself could be a very large boon to serious gunners who take the time to seek it out.

And again: I don't think any of the unmodded players would ever really notice the "cost" of this change. Most people play in third person anyway.

Certainly there's lots of cool fancy tweak stuff like that that would be neat and WILL be neat when Eridan Crisis is done, but what I'm focusing on here, please, is a very large improvement (accurate gun viewmodels) that could be made with very little effort from the dev team (update those few lines of code).

I know centered viewmodels is a bit wonky from a modern perspective. I like it as a callback to doom AND as a way to make those particular guns feel WAY more "simple" to aim.

Yes, it would only allow the mod to happen. But the mod itself could be a very large boon to serious gunners who take the time to seek it out.
I think centered models are pretty good and it does help for the immersion, aim aspects as well, I totally get your point.

It would also give us that nice and comfortable, retro feel from these old magical games that introduced us all to video games

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
But is there anyway to disable viewbobbing when crouched & moving?
Yes :p I just hopped in-game for a sec to confirm, and my crouchwalking (with a gun out and trueview off) is smooth aside from the gun itself bobbing.

Just turn off View Swaying. Again, the menu item's kinda buggy so you may need to flip it on or off a couple times before it does what you want.

Then discover that Running Westar M5 ARC Sniper is actually possible :D

p.s. @|CB|Lyrion @MaceMadunusus just to reiterate, the only guns that would be centered would be guns like A280 where the muzzlepoint is centered. T21, CR, E-11, and pistol would all remain offset to the side (and E-11 and pistol would be fixed since they're misaligned in fov 97 anyway). Dual pistols would take some thought, tho. Plus, I mean, their viewmodel can crash the game, so maybe my mod would just disable the dual pistol viewmodel.

Last edited:
Yes :p I just hopped in-game for a sec to confirm, and my crouchwalking (with a gun out and trueview off) is smooth aside from the gun itself bobbing.

Just turn off View Swaying. Again, the menu item's kinda buggy so you may need to flip it on or off a couple times before it does what you want.

Then discover that Running Westar M5 ARC Sniper is actually possible :D

p.s. @|CB|Lyrion @MaceMadunusus just to reiterate, the only guns that would be centered would be guns like A280 where the muzzlepoint is centered. T21, CR, E-11, and pistol would all remain offset to the side (and E-11 and pistol would be fixed since they're misaligned in fov 97 anyway). Dual pistols would take some thought, tho. Plus, I mean, their viewmodel can crash the game, so maybe my mod would just disable the dual pistol viewmodel.
Awwnn nuuuuuu!!! Pweeze E-11 too pweeze E-11 too I wanna cry!! It's my favorite blaster in Star-Wars :[

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Awwnn nuuuuuu!!! Pweeze E-11 too pweeze E-11 too I wanna cry!! It's my favorite blaster in Star-Wars :[
No sirree, the E-11 muzzle point is way over there on the right, so that's where the gun goes. Otherwise, you'd just have a super inaccurate viewpoint of where your gun is, and that wouldn't be helpful at all. Besides, that's basically how the E-11 was presented in Dark Forces too. :D

I'm just trying to fix the huge inconsistency of holding your EE-3 / A280 / DLT / M5 at your hip and then firing it and having the shot come flying out of your nose. I'm fixing it by installing those guns in your nose.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I have turned it on and off, the viewswaying option does nothing to stop the bounce for me.
So you tried turning it on, testing, turning it off, testing it again, turning it on again, testing it again? It behaves strangely for me like that, it tends to work properly while also displaying that it's "on." And once it's working it stays that way.

No sirree, the E-11 muzzle point is way over there on the right, so that's where the gun goes. Otherwise, you'd just have a super inaccurate viewpoint of where your gun is, and that wouldn't be helpful at all. Besides, that's basically how the E-11 was presented in Dark Forces too. :D

I'm just trying to fix the huge inconsistency of holding your EE-3 / A280 / DLT / M5 at your hip and then firing it and having the shot come flying out of your nose. I'm fixing it by installing those guns in your nose.
Alright you have convinced me