The most neglected core mechanic of MBII

Hello my equals, hello @AaronAaron

With the new patch, there have been a lot of threads about class balance again. Discussions about classes being overpowered and suggestions about buffing/nerfing them etc. Some people are unhappy with the general state of the gameplay. I have come up with a solution. This unhappiness does not stem from apparently "unbalanced" classes such as clone or SBD (both of which are underpowered from an objective point of view btw, clone ion blobs should stun for at least 10 seconds, 20 when fully charged), but from a neglected feature of THE core mechanic of Movie Battles II: The chat and its lack of emojis.
Movie Battles II has always been all about the chat and the intelligent and respectful discussions about politics, various nationalities and skin colour. Adding emojis would improve on various aspects of the chat experience: One could easily mark sarcastic features or show off one's amusement or anger.
This is why I suggest investing all developer resources into converting the Facebook/Messenger emojis into Movie Battles II.

classes such as clone or SBD (both of which are underpowered from an objective point of view btw, clone ion blobs should stun for at least 10 seconds, 20 when fully charged)
am-i-disabled-58c4645f3e27e.jpeg

AaronAaron

Donator

With the new patch, there have been a lot of threads about class balance again. Discussions about classes being overpowered and suggestions about buffing/nerfing them etc. Some people are unhappy with the general state of the gameplay. I have come up with a solution. This unhappiness does not stem from apparently "unbalanced" classes such as clone or SBD (both of which are underpowered from an objective point of view btw, clone ion blobs should stun for at least 10 seconds, 20 when fully charged), but from a neglected feature of THE core mechanic of Movie Battles II: The chat and its lack of emojis.
Movie Battles II has always been all about the chat and the intelligent and respectful discussions about politics, various nationalities and skin colour. Adding emojis would improve on various aspects of the chat experience: One could easily mark sarcastic features or show off one's amusement or anger.
This is why I suggest investing all developer resources into converting the Facebook/Messenger emojis into Movie Battles II.
Hey, why did you mention me? Im equal like the rest :D

eezstreet

Movie Battles II Team Retired
From a technical (and serious) perspective, emojis aren't likely to be something that actually happens as long as the developers continue to target jamp. The game would have to become capable of sending unicode-encoded reliable commands. The Unicode standard seems to place emojis all over the map so you'd likely need something like UTF-32 in order to capture all emojis.

Assuming you manage to get the game to transmit unicode data successfully you'd need to then come up with a new font system which handles unicode correctly and displays the emojis fine. So you'd need to create a new font tool as well, or (what I'd recommend), use TTF instead of .fontdat/.png.

This method would be a pretty tall order on its own (I've been wanting proper Unicode, albeit UTF-8 support, and TTF support for years) and I doubt the developers are going to do something that large for such a small gain. Especially since if you were going to take full advantage of Unicode encoding, you'd want to also have the game translated into Russian or Vietnamese or Chinese or any other language which falls outside of ASCII encoding, and the game doesn't even translate into Spanish or other ASCII languages perfectly.

A better approach might be a Discord approach and replacing specific text with inline images, but it'd need to be handled well. The current system of chat is not very good anyway (and nor does it need to be, most people communicate outside of the game)

k4far

Banned
Donator
From a technical (and serious) perspective, emojis aren't likely to be something that actually happens as long as the developers continue to target jamp. The game would have to become capable of sending unicode-encoded reliable commands. The Unicode standard seems to place emojis all over the map so you'd likely need something like UTF-32 in order to capture all emojis.

Assuming you manage to get the game to transmit unicode data successfully you'd need to then come up with a new font system which handles unicode correctly and displays the emojis fine. So you'd need to create a new font tool as well, or (what I'd recommend), use TTF instead of .fontdat/.png.

This method would be a pretty tall order on its own (I've been wanting proper Unicode, albeit UTF-8 support, and TTF support for years) and I doubt the developers are going to do something that large for such a small gain. Especially since if you were going to take full advantage of Unicode encoding, you'd want to also have the game translated into Russian or Vietnamese or Chinese or any other language which falls outside of ASCII encoding, and the game doesn't even translate into Spanish or other ASCII languages perfectly.

A better approach might be a Discord approach and replacing specific text with inline images, but it'd need to be handled well. The current system of chat is not very good anyway (and nor does it need to be, most people communicate outside of the game)

This thread was for laugher you know. I would uninstall if this game had facebook emoji, lol.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
tbh i'm unsure what this icon is suppossed to express
some oldfag pls enlighten me
It’s a DG legend.

What started off as a funny sound coming out of TeamSpeak's Text-To-Speech turned into a powerful meme. It has even been included into MB2 countless times throughout the years as an easter egg.