Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
tl;dr the third person crosshair is seemingly inaccurate at all times except when the player is stationary. Read on to learn more!!!1!

Let me tell you about the big secret evil subtle crosshair bug (BSESCB)

If you set your cg_thirdpersoncameradamp and cg_thirdpersontargetdamp values to 1, as you really should, then if you join an empty server and press your face against a flat wall and walk left and right, you will notice that your crosshair remains perfectly stationary in one place on the screen. This is the correct behavior.

If you then join a populated server (populated meaning "literally anyone else is there") and repeat the exercise, you will notice that the crosshair "lags" slightly behind where it "should be."

I'm not sure what the implications are of this but I find it horrifying.

Unanswered questions:
1. Do shots go where the crosshair is pointing (the lagged spot) or where the crosshair "should" point (the stable spot)?
2. Is Client 0 always free of this bug, even after people join?

Bonus facts:
I tested across many different servers with many different pings.
I tested with both game engines.
The crosshair lag is not present in first person, even in a populated server, suggesting that either the first person crosshair or the third person crosshair is inaccurate, OR that the third person and first person cameras "move differently." For example, perhaps what's actually happening in third person is that the camera is lagging behind the position of the player. From visual observation, I think this is not the case. The crosshair clearly appears to be lagging behind the player, suggesting that the third person crosshair is simply bugged and inaccurate.

I consider this an enormously bad thing, although it's nice to have an excuse to use first person. My aim has always seemed much better in first person.

I have NOT yet asked anyone else whether the bug is present on their installations.

Nor have I checked whether this bug is present in base JKA.

It's really hard to tell whether different levels of target/cameradamp affect this bug. Also I remember some version of this bug possibly happening in a previous version of the game. "Crosshair drifting" or something. It happened semi-randomly for people and the crosshair "drifted" in the direction you were moving, I think. So it seems perhaps there is negative "drift" now.

Supposing this has always been present, the reason I didn't notice would be because I only ever tested crosshair behavior in my own on empty servers, and this only happens on non-empty servers. Supposing this is only happening for me, I wonder what settings cause it??

The left hand gun doesn't have a muzzle flare effect, and possibly still causes a very slight glitch of some sort whenever it's fired in first person, which can "accumulate" under certain conditions and crash the game.

Anyway, until this bug is patched I guess I'll be playing gunner classes in first-person and quick-switching to third person just to check around corners etc, because I don't feel I can rely on the 3rd person crosshair

EDIT: FURTHER MYSTERY. While playing on a populated mb2_deathstar server, and standing at the bottom of the elevator in the TIE Hangar, I realized that the bug was ABSENT when facing the wall with the elevator button (my crosshair remained perfectly stable), but PRESENT when facing the other wall (my crosshair wiggled). What the hell, I say. What the absolute fucking hell. In other news, playing in first person really improves my aim lol

EDIT2: CORRECTION. My aim becomes stable when standing on the elevator, and becomes laggy as soon as I step off the elevator. This is the case for all elevators on the level. This netcode must be magical.

Last edited:
tl;dr the third person crosshair is seemingly inaccurate at all times except when the player is stationary. Read on to learn more!!!1!

Let me tell you about the big secret evil subtle crosshair bug (BSESCB)

If you set your cg_thirdpersoncameradamp and cg_thirdpersontargetdamp values to 1, as you really should, then if you join an empty server and press your face against a flat wall and walk left and right, you will notice that your crosshair remains perfectly stationary in one place on the screen. This is the correct behavior.

If you then join a populated server (populated meaning "literally anyone else is there") and repeat the exercise, you will notice that the crosshair "lags" slightly behind where it "should be."

I'm not sure what the implications are of this but I find it horrifying.

Unanswered questions:
1. Do shots go where the crosshair is pointing (the lagged spot) or where the crosshair "should" point (the stable spot)?
2. Is Client 0 always free of this bug, even after people join?

Bonus facts:
I tested across many different servers with many different pings.
I tested with both game engines.
The crosshair lag is not present in first person, even in a populated server, suggesting that either the first person crosshair or the third person crosshair is inaccurate, OR that the third person and first person cameras "move differently." For example, perhaps what's actually happening in third person is that the camera is lagging behind the position of the player. From visual observation, I think this is not the case. The crosshair clearly appears to be lagging behind the player, suggesting that the third person crosshair is simply bugged and inaccurate.

I consider this an enormously bad thing, although it's nice to have an excuse to use first person. My aim has always seemed much better in first person.

I have NOT yet asked anyone else whether the bug is present on their installations.

Nor have I checked whether this bug is present in base JKA.

It's really hard to tell whether different levels of target/cameradamp affect this bug. Also I remember some version of this bug possibly happening in a previous version of the game. "Crosshair drifting" or something. It happened semi-randomly for people and the crosshair "drifted" in the direction you were moving, I think. So it seems perhaps there is negative "drift" now.

Supposing this has always been present, the reason I didn't notice would be because I only ever tested crosshair behavior in my own on empty servers, and this only happens on non-empty servers. Supposing this is only happening for me, I wonder what settings cause it??

The left hand gun doesn't have a muzzle flare effect, and possibly still causes a very slight glitch of some sort whenever it's fired in first person, which can "accumulate" under certain conditions and crash the game.

Anyway, until this bug is patched I guess I'll be playing gunner classes in first-person and quick-switching to third person just to check around corners etc, because I don't feel I can rely on the 3rd person crosshair

EDIT: FURTHER MYSTERY. While playing on a populated mb2_deathstar server, and standing at the bottom of the elevator in the TIE Hangar, I realized that the bug was ABSENT when facing the wall with the elevator button (my crosshair remained perfectly stable), but PRESENT when facing the other wall (my crosshair wiggled). What the hell, I say. What the absolute fucking hell. In other news, playing in first person really improves my aim lol

EDIT2: CORRECTION. My aim becomes stable when standing on the elevator, and becomes laggy as soon as I step off the elevator. This is the case for all elevators on the level. This netcode must be magical.
Sure you don't just have sucky aim?

Cat

>The left hand gun doesn't have a muzzle flare effect
It not only lacks a flare, but also causes short freezes no matter the video settings. Sometimes they are long enough to stack, sometimes they are either absent or unnoticeable. The only solution for me was using true view with westars.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
>The left hand gun doesn't have a muzzle flare effect
It not only lacks a flare, but also causes short freezes no matter the video settings. Sometimes they are long enough to stack, sometimes they are either absent or unnoticeable. The only solution for me was using true view with westars.
True view is reprehensible tho, the real solution is just to turn off "draw gun." Also yes I alluded to those freezes, but they weren't happening for me last time I played, possibly because of the specific map or something.

Cat

It's definetely not the map, I have witnessed this bug both happening and not on the same maps.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
doesnt do this with default crosshair settings

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
doesnt do this with default crosshair settings
False, unless your installation is different from mine. I switched cg_thirdpersoncameradamp and cg_thirdpersontargetdamp to defaults and repeated the exercise. On an empty server, the crosshair would drift slightly in the direction I was strafing, and on a populated server it clearly drifted in the opposite direction.