Revamping some maps

Good day friends!

So I've been looking at some of the less popular maps and the biggest issues are Mygeeto and Mustafar. They're certified server killers.

While I don't mind Mustafar so much people tell me it's a bit dull and that's probably because it's centered round one corridor and one large open room. The rest of the map is almost immaterial. I however don't have any real suggestions for this since I think it's the basic design of the map that's flawed. Potentially adding a second floor going above this main room could work to split the action but I really don't know here.

Mygeeto is in worse trouble. The map is a massive sniper fest, half the cover doesn't protect you if you crouch and you can get sniped as soon as you spawn. These things are never good ideas. My recommendation would be to have the section under the bridge expanded to fill the length of it and have one team spawn down there to separate them. The objective is fine and I think the freedom of up top compensated by some more congested tunnels could make for some interesting matches.

Kamino is one of the more popular maps but the outside area seems really unnecessary and side takes an age to get to for imperials. What I would do is remove the landing pads outside except the one Imperials spawn on, move the side route to the right rather than the left (from Imperial view) but make that entrance closer, potentially on the next landing pad rather than friggin miles away. The inside is pretty good though so I'm concerned it might affect that.

Alternatively shift the entire thing inside the building with some new spawns for Imperials but I still think the side route would suffer from being too far away.

Commtower is a bit odd as well, while there are many routes once the shields have opened before that it's effectively two points of contact: the bridge which is a bit unfair for rebels since Mandalorians can get on the side pillars but overall not terrible and side route which can be held too easily by a Droideka and a Sith due to the stairs and small doorway. I'm not sure what can be done with this one either but that's for discussion I guess.

This post has been brought to you by Mr_Oujamaflip.

For commtower, it'd be pretty good if the side pillars had ladders gunners can use to go fight mandos, so you don't have to rely on ARCs and jedi to take out mandos who fly there.
I don't really consider the droideka thing a real issue because you can counter a deka with grenades. A sith doesn't really matter in this case, because rebs, especially ARCs, can reach the side area faster than sith can, and even while a deka can reach it faster than either sith and ARC can, the ARCs can counter the deka with EMPs before the sith have time to arrive and push nades back.

I do not recommend moving reb spawns forward, nor imp spawns back to fix these issues, because it wouldn't necessarily matter, and it would really, really turn the ventilation shafts in the favor of rebs. Also, before the side route was changed, we had the issue of rebs moving through it way too fast, making main kind of meaningless.

Main could probably use a bit more cover. There's very little of it and non-sniper gunners can have it rough, especially in the presence of mando snipers. Making the three platforms a bit wider would probably make the place a bit better in gunner vs jedi situations, too. Heck, just turn the elevated area around the pillars into a flat platforms but leave the pillars there as cover, so you don't have to make any ladders for gunners to reach those elevated spots.

I looooooove dem commtower and while it's not a perfect map I'm always up for discussion for making it even better.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
There are so much I would like to do for maps, but I really don't have the time anymore and would much rather be working on EC than MB2. This is partially because I can no longer do everything in want to in MB2 because of engine limitations.

EC commtower layout:
J4JxtiT.png

If you may notice, there are a lot less hard turns, and the reason there is hard turns in the movie battles version is due to VIS so we can cull off areas of the map.

Aw man, I really liked hiding in the vents.
I got lost every time, but I did like them.

Last edited:

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
I have the original layout I gave to Immenor when he asked me for a map idea. Dunno if it could maybe influence anything.
mapidea_zps0ihgalza.jpg

After playing Commtower, talking about Commtower, Gumba and some others brought up a point: rebs have very little cover. Imps generally get to stations way faster than rebs, leaving them with way less to use for cover. For example, rebs usually are at the door to the large side area when imps are already sitting behind the crates. Or, imps already have their snipers sitting in main when rebs walk out of the door there.

I did bring up that rebs can help these issues by having people use vents to go behind enemy lines. However, there's also an issue here: rebs have to make use of pretty good team splitting to get anywhere, while imps, well, they just don't have to.

Moving imp spawn further back could be a good idea. Either to the comm tower's lower floor (where the disc doesn't spin, but below it) or to the corridor that's not next to the doors to side. Anyway, setting them so that imps would arrive to positions roughly around the same time rebs do. However, the panel in side should be moved further inside, so that jedi can't just speed their way through the vents, have someone hack the panel before imps even have a chance to protect it, and have jedi go into the tower way too fast through vents. That would just reduce the map to tower camping.

(Some people might just say it's always tower camping, but honestly, I've NEVER seen it happen. Pugs may be a different deal than public, though).

Anyway, this would be a pretty easy fix to help the balance on commtower without excessive mapping. Thoughts?

Moving imp spawn further back could be a good idea.

I think if the entrances to those areas were made better we wouldn't need to move imps back. For example rebels should be able to use the door leading to the bridge area without being directly open to fire. Like at least let rebs corner check first to see where enemies are stationed. Right now you just have to rush in the area hoping there won't be a deka right in front of you once you open the door. Remove that extra 1 meter gap at the end of the corridor so both teams can open the door while already in cover.

Also again in the bridge area those higher places left & right where only mandas and jedi/sith can get to, I think any class should be able to get up there by a mini-lift or something. It would both give more cover options for gunners and prevent jedi/sith hide there the whole time.

Yeah, we already talked about those side pillar things. The thing is, as Mace said, he has little time (and motivation) to map for MB2 and he'd rather spend his time on mapping for Eridan (?) Crisis (never sure if I write that name right).

We should figure out ways to fix Commtower's balance in ways that are easy to map in and don't take much time. If map entities allow for it, it probably wouldn't take too much effort to put ladders to those. For now we'll most likely only see a vastly improved Commtower in ED.