Movie Battles II R20.0.01 Available

nflv00I.png

R20.0.01

General
  • Fix: Certain final objective hacks on maps not correctly ending rounds.
  • Change: Extinguishing someone that's on fire will not give TK points.
Sabering
  • Change: Staff can no longer hit targets in front with its back stab attack.
  • Change: Dialing back some of the reverts that were done in order to sort out the pre-release instant hit/swing clashing issues. This is going to be done in small steps to try and make sure nothing breaks too much. This patch should address a good chunk of the hitbox issues people are noticing but will cause some noticeable passthroughs on at least Red style (notably the later part of the A swing). There will be some follow-up work to address this.
  • Change: Adjustments to PB zones that should get them somewhere between 1.4.9 and last patch. This is mostly addressing some of the egregious overlaps on the top side and fixing how the bottom diagonals are behaving.
  • Change: BP no longer regens while holding mblock inputs
  • Change: ACM damage scaling was a bit sharper at 4+ than it should be (seeing an immediate 40% damage jump on Red is a bit much). It now more closely matches the (overly technical) release notes:
    • Below 4 ACM, all styles will gain 5% more damage.
    • At 4+, styles will get varying boosts that are not retroactively changing the pre-4 ACM damage boosting.
  • Fix: Doing half swings out of some special moves.
  • Fix: Super Push and Repulse should now have displacement levels much closer to last patch and be able to splatter up to near max range much more consistently.
  • Fix: Saber special moves now once again properly stop FP regeneration throughout.

Legends/FA
  • Change: Watto now has Stamina 1 (Down from 3) to fix his infinite flight.
  • Fix: FA Hrak Station Selkath Scientist Sonic Pistol now works as intended (Stun & Alt Reload).
  • Fix: FA Hrak Station Revan and Mercenary have been switched places to fix an overflow error that caused 2 players to be able to play as Revan.
  • Change: Buffed the damage of Rocket Launchers on Jan, Reelo and Darktrooper in Legends by doubling it and adding a Knockdown flag to all 3 classes.
  • Fix: Fixed a typo that caused Deathtrooper in legends to unable to use their grapplehook.
  • Fix: E5 model fixed for first person.
Maps
  • Fix: One layer of enlarged Dxun minimap missing a shader
  • Fix: PB2 assets fixed with any out of date maps. This includes a fix for PB2_Sdestroyer having bad spawns as well as updates older versions of maps such as PB2_SnowFacility.
Changed Files ( Manual / Server Downloads )
Code:
--MBII
cgamei386.so
FAMBModels.pk3
jampgamei386.nopp.so
jampgamei386.so
mb2_dxun.pk3
mb2_pb_assets.pk3
mb2_um_assets3
MBAssets3.pk3
MBAssets2.pk3
MBII.pk3
MBII_Mac.pk3
uii386.so

Changelog Legend
New - New feature or addition to the game.
Change - Changes to the game.
Fix - Bug fix.
Remove - Removed feature.
Feature - New feature name.

Last edited:

Leo

Internal Beta Team
Change: BP no longer regens while holding mblock inputs

that existed the whole open beta and i'm pretty sure it did yesterday too

Since there is a hotfix I can't say if what I experienced yesterday is still the case but I'm still posting it. When I first loaded into the map, I needed to reload because of "connection interrupted" and crashed during that. Subsequently I was crashing all the time until I removed my mod pack with everything except the crosshairs. Without it I could load. Later on I tried to quickly fix my mod pack by removing as much of its content I don't use and might cause problems. That still didn't work but I managed to enter the shooting range. None of my models were showing up. Same for one hilt change and custom font. Game gave up on loading the .pk3. After that I played on duels with not working .pk3. Why the game isn't loading it, it's of the same content as it was for a year or more, while the .pk3 just with crosshairs works is a mystery to me.

I played on Open for a few minutes, so I can't comment much. The ability for every gunner to do gunbash is annoying. Many people were doing gunbash at the beginning of the round. As everyone was running, it looked as if a phantom was hitting me. This is the same as Wookie could do in previous build, i.e. bash and run, but now it looks wrong or the weirdness of it is more noticeable when everyone can do it.
The second thing I noticed was a very slow getup animation when I got hit with a concussion or maybe pushed, I don't remember exactly. And a couple seconds after that I got knocked down again and I, commander, did a quick flip to getup. The rules are now different?
The third thing that happened to me is a bit of a mystery. I was either pulled or pushed. Not sure which one as it seemed as if I bounced off the box. That might've looked like it because of the camera. If I'd been pushed, there is no problem but if I'd been pulled then Pull has a huge range, more in line with the maximum range you could get knocked down by Push in previous build. I’m not sure but I think that Pull starts to work at different times in its animation than Push. This was noticed by me in the previous build as I did a Pull that when seen in slow motion seems to be barely possible due to me falling down. I'll try to find the clip.

Now on to the Duels. Some of this might've been fixed. My problem was that it felt worse than the first beta. Somehow. The bugs were fixed in the second beta and it felt smooth despite the problems the changes entailed. Now the changes seemed as true as they were in the second Beta, but it felt as if I was constantly locked in the animation. I tried to wait for my turn as much as possible to minimize the counter changes having an effect but it still felt bad. Dueling felt best when I was just standing still and PBing, then it felt good. As soon as I tried to swing it went bad.
There are also massive stutters. I looked at clips from Beta and there were also some stutters but they weren't as big as now. They game just freezes for a second or two and you wait to see if you're dead. Funnily at 10:12 I should've been dead because of the freeze but I didn't die.
Often it seemed that swingblock just doesn't work. The easiest of slaps seemed to knock me down, and my opponents. Like when I just do a single swing and after it, I get slapped. It seems to happen when inside hug range of the enemy and sometimes happens on W getup animation, though that one may be because of the opponent's high ping.

The next problem is forward jump kick with the saber. It seems to start out of nowhere and when you get hit by the kick you look laggy.
While the saber dropping when you have low BP might be good, there is a problem. You need to only hit the blade for the saber to drop. The range you can cause it to drop is too big. When it happens, it's unexpected. The range should be reduced because it currently looks like your saber hatbox extends just for that swing, it's so jarring compared to the rest of the duel.
In the same vein, I'm not sure if last BP is accurate or not. As in you have 15–20 BP and die on one swing, so you might as well have 0 BP. Last BP shown in the console might be accurate but the duels seem to be quicker because you die with BP that looks as if it'll be enough to block one more hit. I noticed the same in Beta. Now that we have a BP number it is easier to see how much BP you have and it looks off when you die from one hit when you still have 20 BP left. Maybe make a condition on a strike that currently kills you when you are low BP. For example, if you have 20 BP and a hit would do 25–30 BP of damage you are reduced to 0 BP and still live, maybe also drop the saber, though that would be more appropriate for a strike that would deal 10 or more BP than you have left. If this change is possible, it would make it look as if you use all of your BP in a duel instead of just 80% of it. And because of saber dropping when at 0 BP you'd need to PB the next hit to survive.
The hitboxes on Red are mentioned so there's no point commenting on them. A problem is the duel start animation. It seems to prevent changing of style. I'm not sure but it also looks as if you can't change a style for a bit of time when you get hit so when I didn't do that before the duel start I'd ended up spamming style change key in hope that at some point it will change. I see some reason for preventing style changes when hit but it should be possible to change the style at the beginning of the duel.
The stagger on Red swings is excessive. You can't PB while staggered but at some other times you can. At a time you are able to PB, you just cancel the stagger inflicted by a previous Red swing.

The kata etc. in the 4:10 duel are a mystery.
When playing higher ping players, I noticed that their swings look as if they are teleporting. They are too fast. It's most noticeable with the fast A swing. You can see it at 9:50.
Might've forgotten about some other issue. But I think that is all I noticed while playing. I read the changelog before playing and it seemed it was just copied from a beta. Playing the game felt too different from what the changelog said because of the bugs. The underlying problems of the changes are still present so at least the changelog was true and you did not make some big change that isn't mentioned in it. I'll comment on the changes when you fix the bugs. It'll just be shortened feedback I was supposed to write for the Beta, but never did. Though I need to address one thing now. The combination of new animations that show a counter will be slow, inability for you to chase because you can't PB on saber return animation and the new MB system mean that you either spam the enemy or wait for your own turn. It is hard to see when it is possible for you to attack and when it isn't. Because of this it's better to wait as now there is no innate confidence you had that the counter will always be fast like in the previous build. It feels like rolling a die for a duel. To me the changes as they are now, and were in Beta, are a terrible fusion of 1.4.9 and a worsened 1.5.

When you fix custom .pk3 not working, or whatever is my issue, you should look into adding "defer player models" but for saber hilts, if it's possible. It would be great to not have to change properties of all hilts every major update. Properties like radius or making every hilt sound the same, instead of weird delayed sounds some had at one point.

Edit: I managed to fix my custom .pk3. I did it by merging broken .pk3 with crosshairs one. The problem with .pk3 not loading might've been me choosing "fastest" method of Winrar's compression instead of default "normal" when I removed stuff from the .pk3. This allowed me to load the .pk3 but I still had a problem with "saber_hilts_Open1.sab" being too big, according to the error. Simply removing all sounds from a changed saber hilt fixed the problem. Not sure why the error happened as all sounds for that hilt are in the same .pk3. Maybe you changed something with "weapons/saber" sounds as those are the only ones not in my .pk3.

Edit 2: To see it frame by frame during slowed down section put YouTube player's speed at 0.25x. The Pull starts at first frame, same as with Push, but the most obvious parts of animation start later than with Push so it looks as if you got pulled before the animation of Pull has started. This leads to thinking that you got pulled while walking.

Last edited:

Leo

Internal Beta Team

Since there is a hotfix I can't say if what I experienced yesterday is still the case but I'm still posting it. When I first loaded into the map, I needed to reload because of "connection interrupted" and crashed during that. Subsequently I was crashing all the time until I removed my mod pack with everything except the crosshairs. Without it I could load. Later on I tried to quickly fix my mod pack by removing as much of its content I don't use and might cause problems. That still didn't work but I managed to enter the shooting range. None of my models were showing up. Same for one hilt change and custom font. Game gave up on loading the .pk3. After that I played on duels with not working .pk3. Why the game isn't loading it, it's of the same content as it was for a year or more, while the .pk3 just with crosshairs works is a mystery to me.

I played on Open for a few minutes, so I can't comment much. The ability for every gunner to do gunbash is annoying. Many people were doing gunbash at the beginning of the round. As everyone was running, it looked as if a phantom was hitting me. This is the same as Wookie could do in previous build, i.e. bash and run, but now it looks wrong or the weirdness of it is more noticeable when everyone can do it.
The second thing I noticed was a very slow getup animation when I got hit with a concussion or maybe pushed, I don't remember exactly. And a couple seconds after that I got knocked down again and I, commander, did a quick flip to getup. The rules are now different?
The third thing that happened to me is a bit of a mystery. I was either pulled or pushed. Not sure which one as it seemed as if I bounced off the box. That might've looked like it because of the camera. If I'd been pushed, there is no problem but if I'd been pulled then Pull has a huge range, more in line with the maximum range you could get knocked down by Push in previous build. I’m not sure but I think that Pull starts to work at different times in its animation than Push. This was noticed by me in the previous build as I did a Pull that when seen in slow motion seems to be barely possible due to me falling down. I'll try to find the clip.

Now on to the Duels. Some of this might've been fixed. My problem was that it felt worse than the first beta. Somehow. The bugs were fixed in the second beta and it felt smooth despite the problems the changes entailed. Now the changes seemed as true as they were in the second Beta, but it felt as if I was constantly locked in the animation. I tried to wait for my turn as much as possible to minimize the counter changes having an effect but it still felt bad. Dueling felt best when I was just standing still and PBing, then it felt good. As soon as I tried to swing it went bad.
There are also massive stutters. I looked at clips from Beta and there were also some stutters but they weren't as big as now. They game just freezes for a second or two and you wait to see if you're dead. Funnily at 10:12 I should've been dead because of the freeze but I didn't die.
Often it seemed that swingblock just doesn't work. The easiest of slaps seemed to knock me down, and my opponents. Like when I just do a single swing and after it, I get slapped. It seems to happen when inside hug range of the enemy and sometimes happens on W getup animation, though that one may be because of the opponent's high ping.

The next problem is forward jump kick with the saber. It seems to start out of nowhere and when you get hit by the kick you look laggy.
While the saber dropping when you have low BP might be good, there is a problem. You need to only hit the blade for the saber to drop. The range you can cause it to drop is too big. When it happens, it's unexpected. The range should be reduced because it currently looks like your saber hatbox extends just for that swing, it's so jarring compared to the rest of the duel.
In the same vein, I'm not sure if last BP is accurate or not. As in you have 15–20 BP and die on one swing, so you might as well have 0 BP. Last BP shown in the console might be accurate but the duels seem to be quicker because you die with BP that looks as if it'll be enough to block one more hit. I noticed the same in Beta. Now that we have a BP number it is easier to see how much BP you have and it looks off when you die from one hit when you still have 20 BP left. Maybe make a condition on a strike that currently kills you when you are low BP. For example, if you have 20 BP and a hit would do 25–30 BP of damage you are reduced to 0 BP and still live, maybe also drop the saber, though that would be more appropriate for a strike that would deal 10 or more BP than you have left. If this change is possible, it would make it look as if you use all of your BP in a duel instead of just 80% of it. And because of saber dropping when at 0 BP you'd need to PB the next hit to survive.
The hitboxes on Red are mentioned so there's no point commenting on them. A problem is the duel start animation. It seems to prevent changing of style. I'm not sure but it also looks as if you can't change a style for a bit of time when you get hit so when I didn't do that before the duel start I'd ended up spamming style change key in hope that at some point it will change. I see some reason for preventing style changes when hit but it should be possible to change the style at the beginning of the duel.
The stagger on Red swings is excessive. You can't PB while staggered but at some other times you can. At a time you are able to PB, you just cancel the stagger inflicted by a previous Red swing.

The kata etc. in the 4:10 duel are a mystery.
When playing higher ping players, I noticed that their swings look as if they are teleporting. They are too fast. It's most noticeable with the fast A swing. You can see it at 9:50.
Might've forgotten about some other issue. But I think that is all I noticed while playing. I read the changelog before playing and it seemed it was just copied from a beta. Playing the game felt too different from what the changelog said because of the bugs. The underlying problems of the changes are still present so at least the changelog was true and you did not make some big change that isn't mentioned in it. I'll comment on the changes when you fix the bugs. It'll just be shortened feedback I was supposed to write for the Beta, but never did. Though I need to address one thing now. The combination of new animations that show a counter will be slow, inability for you to chase because you can't PB on saber return animation and the new MB system mean that you either spam the enemy or wait for your own turn. It is hard to see when it is possible for you to attack and when it isn't. Because of this it's better to wait as now there is no innate confidence you had that the counter will always be fast like in the previous build. It feels like rolling a die for a duel. To me the changes as they are now, and were in Beta, are a terrible fusion of 1.4.9 and a worsened 1.5.

When you fix custom .pk3 not working, or whatever is my issue, you should look into adding "defer player models" but for saber hilts, if it's possible. It would be great to not have to change properties of all hilts every major update. Properties like radius or making every hilt sound the same, instead of weird delayed sounds some had at one point.​
I'm not trying to somehow talk you out of your feedback, but I must point out that you were playing on Noob Duels (which is a server that tends to get pretty unstable, and I mean it). Many of the things you mentioned can easily be affected by this. All of these laggy / freeze moments
That being said, I have felt the difference in slap/swingblock as well. I'm pretty sure by the looks of it that slap is simply activated for longer time, seen many moments where I managed to slap someone long after the input.

agentoo8

Internal Beta Team
I'm not trying to somehow talk you out of your feedback, but I must point out that you were playing on Noob Duels (which is a server that tends to get pretty unstable, and I mean it). Many of the things you mentioned can easily be affected by this. All of these laggy / freeze moments
That being said, I have felt the difference in slap/swingblock as well. I'm pretty sure by the looks of it that slap is simply activated for longer time, seen many moments where I managed to slap someone long after the input.
Have to second Leo's feedback, as playing on Noob Duels as opposed to Sentinel or Je'daii Ranked is like night and day.

Missing the point. I have played before on NoobDuels when it was lagging. It wasn't this time because hits landed without any lag. PBs worked without an issued. You can see what I mean by "locked animations" in the first duel. Look at my animation when I fail a swing or getup. The second duel felt normal. Both players had 100-120 ping, yet in the first one it felt like you couldn't do anything but PB because of these animations.​

great! staff backstab yields no reward for facing against multiple adversaries and is now useless, great job ignore the fact that the staff points forwards and backstabs are risky.

Great job consulting the only competent staff user on what should be nerfed

also since you don't know what you're doing with red, just rework it so it's not just 10 second duels.

Heloo!!!!! Revert bacl to R20. It was fine and fun to duel. WTF are u guys doing? Now it is imposible to Play defence, cause PB zones fuked up!

• Facepalm
Reactions: Leo

TeKilla

Donator
First off, I want to express my appreciation for the effort you all put into developing and maintaining the mod.

But I wonder if it might be more effective to adopt a strategy of releasing smaller, more frequent updates rather than large ones. This could potentially minimize the impact of bugs and allow the community to provide more focused feedback.

This approach might reduce the pressure on both the development team and the community, leading to a smoother overall experience with fewer disruptions.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Had some more duels today, this is the worst.

I appreciate qol features like manual backstab, but the core dueling is ruined. Please just revert back where it was or something, I have lost absolutely all faith

whats wrong jewb thats not a proper way to give a feedback, you moron
Yeah, like we havent had beta feedback threads in which feedback was given and ignored.

After actually playing for a few more hours defense is not rewarded enough but duels are actually more varied and fun tbh, and everything feels more flexible, I'll be the first to say on behalf of the ones who don't read the forum.

This is good work and a step in the right direction, just don't nerf duals or staff.

Leo

Internal Beta Team
After actually playing for a few more hours defense is not rewarded enough but duels are actually more varied and fun tbh, and everything feels more flexible, I'll be the first to say on behalf of the ones who don't read the forum.

This is good work and a step in the right direction, just don't nerf duals or staff.
this alone proves that duals need nerf immediately

But I wonder if it might be more effective to adopt a strategy of releasing smaller, more frequent updates rather than large ones. This could potentially minimize the impact of bugs and allow the community to provide more focused feedback.

This approach might reduce the pressure on both the development team and the community, leading to a smoother overall experience with fewer disruptions.
This is the best feedback given since the 20 update.