MBII and PVE?

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired
If you want to fight bots I suggest you enable cheats, bring a few of your friends (or play alone locally, since a lot of bots tend to crash servers eventually) and just npc spawn tavion or some other bots. There is a list of cheats somewhere with all the bots you can spawn. It can be fun for a while but eventually you realize the AI is pretty repetitive, spammish and lacking.

The problem is the AI code is semi broken atm (between having used some of that memory for other stuff in mb2 + jka ai never having really been that good in mp) and fixing that + adding any sort of navigation or intellgence to the AI would be a humongous task. Just the saber system itself is quite complex, now imagine all of MBII into some poor AI mind. Sure we would love to do it but the fact is we have too many stuff on the to-do list and too few people to do it. Never say never, but don't expect this any time soon. it's been discussed, but it's no simple task. I'd probably take a person an entire year of pure dedication to the AI system to do it. Full time. We don't have that kind of manpower.

T r i s t a n

Banned
If you want to fight bots I suggest you enable cheats, bring a few of your friends (or play alone locally, since a lot of bots tend to crash servers eventually) and just npc spawn tavion or some other bots. There is a list of cheats somewhere with all the bots you can spawn. It can be fun for a while but eventually you realize the AI is pretty repetitive, spammish and lacking.

The problem is the AI code is semi broken atm (between having used some of that memory for other stuff in mb2 + jka ai never having really been that good in mp) and fixing that + adding any sort of navigation or intellgence to the AI would be a humongous task. Just the saber system itself is quite complex, now imagine all of MBII into some poor AI mind. Sure we would love to do it but the fact is we have too many stuff on the to-do list and too few people to do it. Never say never, but don't expect this any time soon. it's been discussed, but it's no simple task. I'd probably take a person an entire year of pure dedication to the AI system to do it. Full time. We don't have that kind of manpower.
How does one enable cheats in MBII? I would love to play locally against NPC enemies if it is easily accessible and doesn't involve creating my own dedicated server with port forwarding sorcery. But thank you for your straight forward answer, however, I would very much like to test it for myself.

Plasma

You being part of the Movie Battles II Team, I would love to hear your thoughts on the probability of a MBII PVE aspect being introduced in the future, or even speculation as to why not.
It isn't likely going to happen as it would be a lot of work and there's plenty of other stuff to work on before even considering doing a new mode like this but it is a cool idea.

Maybe if we recruited a coder who could fix the AI and set up the game mode and dedicate themselves to just this project while the other coders on the team worked on the rest of MB2 we could get it done. But good coders are in short supply and all our current ones are already really busy.

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
@Tristan117
To enable cheats:

Go to MBII main menu(actually anywhere is fine, if you happen to be ingame you just type the second command) and open console by pushing both the shift key and the tilda key
Type the following commands: press enter between them

/g_gametype 7
/devmap mb2_lunarbase
That's it. It's that simple, no magic needed, replace mb2_lunarbase with any map you want to play in. e.g. mb2_dotf or mb2_jeditemple etc... If you dont want to memorize both commands you can technically just use devmap twice (first will give an error and then you type it again and it will work).

To spawn a bot you do npc spawn NAME (replace name with the bot you or name of ship you want, i.e. npc spawn tavion will spawn tavion, npc spawn vehicle x-wing will spawn a flyable x-wing. or maybe it's npc spawn x-wing. try both)
List of bots and other cheats such as health, give all -for guns lots of guns, etc found here http://www.ign.com/cheats/games/star-wars-jedi-knight-jedi-academy-pc-498701 (or google Jedi Academy Cheat List)
Not all will work but majority will, let us know if any specific ones crash game or something. Some bots will attack you only if you are on a certain team so if you spawn a bot and it just ignores you, try switching to the other team.
if you want a challenge do npc spawn rancor :)

Have fun

T r i s t a n

Banned
@Tristan117
To enable cheats:

Go to MBII main menu(actually anywhere is fine, if you happen to be ingame you just type the second command) and open console by pushing both the shift key and the tilda key
Type the following commands: press enter between them

/g_gametype 7
/devmap mb2_lunarbase
That's it. It's that simple, no magic needed, replace mb2_lunarbase with any map you want to play in. e.g. mb2_dotf or mb2_jeditemple etc... If you dont want to memorize both commands you can technically just use devmap twice (first will give an error and then you type it again and it will work).

To spawn a bot you do npc spawn NAME (replace name with the bot you or name of ship you want, i.e. npc spawn tavion will spawn tavion, npc spawn vehicle x-wing will spawn a flyable x-wing. or maybe it's npc spawn x-wing. try both)
List of bots and other cheats such as health, give all -for guns lots of guns, etc found here Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy Cheats, Codes, Unlockables - PC - IGN (or google Jedi Academy Cheat List)
Not all will work but majority will, let us know if any specific ones crash game or something. Some bots will attack you only if you are on a certain team so if you spawn a bot and it just ignores you, try switching to the other team.
if you want a challenge do npc spawn rancor :)

Have fun

Buckle up.

We need a server that comprises of nothing but wampas, and only has 6 player slots.
I would call the game mode, "Hunt."

T r i s t a n

Banned
We need a server that comprises of nothing but wampas, and only has 6 player slots.
I would call the game mode, "Hunt."
Rancor's and a few Sith/Jedi thrown into the mix would be a lot more interesting than fighting hordes of Wampa's, perhaps a boss wave could consist of nothing but Wampa's, but to only fight Wampa's repeatedly could get repetitive. But if various other enemies are thrown into the mix, it would keep enemy encounters from getting stale. I will be making a new YouTube video showcasing the different NPC AI to try to give a better understanding of what an NPC oriented combat experience may have to offer. Even in its current state.

Tristan, you might want to check out the map called superdeatharena in FA. Since there's not much FA servers nowadays with that map I'll give you a desciprtion. It's a map where every player is unarmed (except 1-1 on each team has a knife) and there's like 7 rancors in a small area. If you want the round to take long, then the 2 teams have to cooperate in taking down the rancors, but part of the fun comes from that the enemy team will kick you down so a rancor can eat you. There's 2 ways to kill the rancors: by turrets and by hacking a panel which brings down a wall crushing them if they are in the right position. Furthermore there's lava in the middle of the map which is covered by a platform, but can be hacked to reveal the lava and then the rancors (and the players) can fall in the lava. Also you die no matter what, because the room is shrinking and eventually crushes everyone.

So that map could be considered PVE (mix of PVP and PVE). In the short run, making more of these kind of maps could fulfil your wishes to a certain degree. Then again who would make these kind of maps too? I guess the team doesn't have the capacity for this either, but this would sure require less work from them than messing with the AI.

T r i s t a n

Banned
Tristan, you might want to check out the map called superdeatharena in FA. Since there's not much FA servers nowadays with that map I'll give you a desciprtion. It's a map where every player is unarmed (except 1-1 on each team has a knife) and there's like 7 rancors in a small area. If you want the round to take long, then the 2 teams have to cooperate in taking down the rancors, but part of the fun comes from that the enemy team will kick you down so a rancor can eat you. There's 2 ways to kill the rancors: by turrets and by hacking a panel which brings down a wall crushing them if they are in the right position. Furthermore there's lava in the middle of the map which is covered by a platform, but can be hacked to reveal the lava and then the rancors (and the players) can fall in the lava. Also you die no matter what, because the room is shrinking and eventually crushes everyone.

So that map could be considered PVE (mix of PVP and PVE). In the short run, making more of these kind of maps could fulfil your wishes to a certain degree. Then again who would make these kind of maps too? I guess the team doesn't have the capacity for this either, but this would sure require less work from them than messing with the AI.
If I knew how to open a Map and hand place NPC enemies without them attacking me, or me running out of time. I would create such PVE maps to share on YouTube. Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not interested in playing as unarmed men fighting Rancor's by hacking terminals. Only Star Wars battles that involve Jedi/Sith and Troops where I use my own skill and a fucking Light Saber to chop Rancor's up, not a knife.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Maybe if we recruited a coder who could fix the AI and set up the game mode and dedicate themselves to just this project while the other coders on the team worked on the rest of MB2 we could get it done. But good coders are in short supply and all our current ones are already really busy.
I've actually taken some small pokes at the AI stuff (fun reading on a few topics that sprouted from that last night @_@). Definitely not an amazing coder developing person but I'm pretty good at figuring schtuff out. I was curious about the differences between the OpenJK-tweaked source and what's been changed for MB2. Small project with a lot of prerequisites.

P.S. - Would C#/.net or C++ be better for this? I'm familiar with concepts of C# but haven't dabbled with it nearly as much as I have with C++.

Last edited: