•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Launcher executing Single Player (JASP.exe) instead of Multiplayer (JAMP.exe)

Karus

Donator
Hi guys, I have a problem which I remember fixing a while back, but I cannot for the life of me remember how to do it.
Closing the Launcher and exiting Steam completely solves this issue but only temporarily, on the first startup it launches JAMP as it should and everything works fine.
But when exiting MBII and attempting to relaunch it via the launcher, it execs JASP instead of JAMP, and I'm given the error: "Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header!"
Any help would be awesome, cheers!
Extra info: Repairing the installation does not solve this issue. I haven't tried a complete reinstall as of yet because I'm pretty sure there's an easy fix for this problem.

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Make sure Steam Integration is enabled in Launcher.

Close Launcher and repair the JKA Installation in Steam

Always close Launcher properly.

Karus

Donator
Issue still happening
I closed the Launcher completely and repaired JKA installation via Steam, I also repaired MBII installation
Also I was sure to check that jamp.exe closes properly on exit, which it does, it doesn't hang around in the background or anything.
I'm confused D:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Also I was sure to check that jamp.exe closes properly on exit, which it does, it doesn't hang around in the background or anything.
Issue still happening
So how exactly issue still happening? You made sure that jamp.exe didn't hang around, and then what?
You clicked 'Play' in Launcher immediately?
You closed MBII Launcher and then started it again and clicked 'Play'?
You restarted your PC?
You tried launching base Jedi Academy?

I want to notice that MBII Launcher renames jasp and jamp back on exit, when getting closed by clicking X button in top right corner.
It won't happen if MBIILauncher.exe is terminated from Task Manager.
Launcher won't be able to perform renaming if jamp.exe is still running/hanged.

Karus

Donator
So how exactly issue still happening? You made sure that jamp.exe didn't hang around, and then what?
You clicked 'Play' in Launcher immediately?
You closed MBII Launcher and then started it again and clicked 'Play'?
You restarted your PC?
You tried launching base Jedi Academy?

I want to notice that MBII Launcher renames jasp and jamp back on exit, when getting closed by clicking X button in top right corner.
It won't happen if MBIILauncher.exe is terminated from Task Manager.
Launcher won't be able to perform renaming if jamp.exe is still running/hanged.
I closed MBII, then I closed MBIILauncher via the X at the top right, then I repaired JKA through Steam, then I quit Steam, opened Launcher, repaired through Launcher.
Once again, exiting Steam and the Launcher completely solves this issue but it's an annoyance, I don't want to have to quit Steam completely everytime I want to start up MBII after playing for a session.
Also, I don't have any command lines/target set on JKA in Steam, so it's not that.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
then I repaired JKA through Steam, then I quit Steam, opened Launcher, repaired through Launcher.
I didn't ask you what did you do to fix the issue, I asked you how exactly this issue happens.
I want a full sequence that lead to "Z_Free..." message, started from when you're playing MBII normally, to the point when error is displayed -- how do close MBII, do you close MBII Launcher or not, how do you run MBII for the second time, do you try running base JA in between, etc.
Also, repairing installation via MBII Launcher is completely useless, Launcher does nothing related to "Z_free" during repair.
Repairing via Steam, on the other hand, is related and may fix "Z_free..." under certain circumstances.
Once again, exiting Steam and the Launcher completely solves this issue but it's an annoyance, I don't want to have to quit Steam completely everytime I want to start up MBII after playing for a session.
I don't have Steam, and I don't know how exactly it does work, but if it does lock jamp.exe or jasp.exe while Steam is running, you don't have an other option if you want to start Movie Battles via MBII Launcher.
To start MBII, MBII Launcher *needs* to rename jasp and jamp, and to rename files and to do it, they must not to be locked.

Download and install this: UNLOCKER 1.9.2 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB
Next time you experience this issue, right-click on jamp.exe and select Unlocker. You'll see what program is preventing normal starting up.
Also, I don't have any command lines/target set on JKA in Steam, so it's not that.
Then maybe you should?
You can set up command line arguments in Steam, and then launch Movie Battles via Steam, not via MBII Launcher. No renaming is required.
You'll still need to keep MBII Launcher running in the background, though.

22f177ed54d0.png

Last edited:

Karus

Donator
I didn't ask you what did you do to fix the issue, I asked you how exactly this issue happens.
I want a full sequence that lead to "Z_Free..." message, started from when you're playing MBII normally, to the point when error is displayed -- how do close MBII, do you close MBII Launcher or not, how do you run MBII for the second time, do you try running base JA in between, etc.
Also, repairing installation via MBII Launcher is completely useless, Launcher does nothing related to "Z_free" during repair.
Repairing via Steam, on the other hand, is related and may fix "Z_free..." under certain circumstances.

I don't have Steam, and I don't know how exactly it does work, but if it does lock jamp.exe or jasp.exe while Steam is running, you don't have an other option if you want to start Movie Battles via MBII Launcher.
To start MBII, MBII Launcher *needs* to rename jasp and jamp, and to rename files and to do it, they must not to be locked.

Download and install this: UNLOCKER 1.9.2 BY CEDRICK 'NITCH' COLLOMB
Next time you experience this issue, right-click on jamp.exe and select Unlocker. You'll see what program is preventing normal starting up.

Then maybe you should?
You can set up command line arguments in Steam, and then launch Movie Battles via Steam, not via MBII Launcher. No renaming is required.
You'll still need to keep MBII Launcher running in the background, though.

22f177ed54d0.png
Thank you, this should help!
If I have any more issues with this I'll let you know
Thank you!