Giving 'small' 'out of duel' passive bp regen to defense 3.

Lee

Honestly I'd argue for passive bp regen in general, with changes to the overall bp system (aka alot less bp), but like all good things lets focus on rolling out an idea in a limited fashion first. Let me make this clear, this addition should not affect duels at all. AT ALL. Unless someone runs from a duel...in which case there's a million horrible arguments that seem extremely popular as to why the runners can be caught...so its clearly not an issue either way so long as the emphasis for this OP is on small passive regen.

Okay. Defense 3 is 4 points. Objectively speaking you have to consider what else you can buy for 4 points in general, and what an addition of 4 points can do to most builds overall. My point is, its trash atm.

Defense 3 basically halves the swingblock fp cost if you fail to kill the gunner....or something irrelevant like that. I don't really know anymore, the library is full of lies cause its outdated af. I do know from practice the fp saved is irrelevant 'atm'.

Why atm? Well if you remember a few months ago devs dropped an insane fp drain increases for all guns (except the ones that needed it...). Before this change defense 3 was sorta okayish.....it was mainly an fp mitigation option that gave u options for higher fp drain abilities....it was a time where u had like 3 or 4 or 10 tries to swingblock a gunner before feeling pressured (it was pretty crazy). Now though? If you swingblock at a gunner and ur interrupted....u don't have many options. Ur close to the gunner, the gunner has the aim and positiioning to hit you, and the fp drain values now are so high that ur probably 50 or below fp alrdy....limiting ur options to (a) flail and chance it (b) run the hell away to regen ur fp and try again later. Does defense 3 offers you any advantage in either of these anymore? Nope. Saving 10 or 15 fp is completely irrelevant in these situations....and this is the situation that defense 3 is meant to serve u in. U'd be better served buying deflect (or better deflect) and using the fp mitigation from deflecting some shots to save u fp. Or just upgrading any other force power in general...which by default saves u massive fp (-_-). But even in general now, fp drain mitigation is a pointless endeavor with guns draining so much of it now....don't get hit is literally the be all and endall of it now.....forget blocking...or deflecting....running/jumping around and not getting hit offers the best fp drain mitigation.

So Why bp regen....thats weird right? It kInda dances around the real problem. Cause there's another problem with saberists, one I personally see as a big issue. It's the constant and I mean CONSTANT need to monitor both fp and bp whenever you do anything. Even just walking on most maps leads to u getting a bit of air and losing some bp cause of how ppl like lindsey create geometry and use curved surfaces. Every saberist experiences this situation where they often have to stop whatever they are doing and sit still passively to regen some bp/fp. And they feel constantly penalized anytime they take their feet off the ground to do something cool looking. Fp is kinda nice in that it auto regens...so u really just have to step outside of fighting gunners for a bit (which is dumb, but whatever), and u can still do stuff. Bp tho? U pretty much have to run away and pointlessly waste time regening. Now are there better systems to implement to deal with this? Ya, probably. You could argue that pbing or 'something else' could regen some bp here and there. Sure.

But I'm arguing its inclusion to defense 3. Cause it makes sense to be in something called defense 3. What would it look like? I'm talking realllly reallllly slowwww passive bp regen. Probably it doesn't stack with normal block regen, and only takes place after 'not blocking for a while'. And maybe it includes some cool counterplay like "if you force focus someone or push them or something they lose any recent/current regen from defense 3". The biggest argument against any form of 'bp regen' is the idea that it enables running. This is a bull argument. Why? Cause we're looking at smalll small small bp regen. And more importantly the reasons why ppl think running isnt an issue is cause of features like force focus and get gud. The idea that small small small bp regen is going to collapse ur entire argument....just proves that it was a stupid argument to begin with...which honestly it is....but I'm siding with you guys here and pretending it isn't for the sake of this OP.

Overall defense 3 would, with this addition, serve as a 'more effective' tool to enable saberists to fight more frequently. There would need to be careful consideration to prevent defense 3 from giving ANY competitive edge in a tradition duel setting....thus the "only actives after x seconds of running" idea or something similar I think is necessary. I am atm opposed to any extra bp advantages in a traditiion duel. We can avoid that. Just gotta be careful.
It's not really a berserker enabler to any degree, but it would decrease the wait time before needing to engage again....or the time spent eggo walkign to ur next enemy. Think of it working similiar to ur passive fp regen u get from running to ur next engagement (obviously not that fast a regen though). Imagine having to eggo walk or meditate after everytime u lost fp...it doesn't feel great right? Defense 3 is a cheap small feature to help with this, period.
IN practice it would look like: 1. you run for 60+seconds to ur enemy....u have ur first fight. 2. if ur still alive u can move straight to ur next engagement without wasting time stopping and/or eggo walking/meditiating ur bp stats back to full.

What's the worst that can happen by trying this? If done as described its not gonna make most people change their builds....nor should it become a staple on duel servers. I don't see the problem. It ultimately helps speedup gameplay...which is a real problem atm. When 90% of group fights don't involve saberists pausing to stare at the enemy as soon as they meet...then I'll consider changing my views on 'gameplay speed'.

Boom, I did it. A complete well-rounded legit argument. Nothing can destroy this solid comprehensively well-thought-out argument in under 60 characters or less. Nothing at all.

Last edited: