Future(s) of the Force (Part 1)

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
As promised, since Phase 1 of the saber vs saber changes are mostly ironed out, here's the introduction to the various tweaks/changes for Force-related things that I have in mind/am considering currently. Feel free to comment about the specifics I include or just general thoughts about how things work vs how you'd like to see them changed.

To start, I'd like to reiterate (from other discussions) that I don't like binary mechanics/concepts. I don't think all of the Force stuff is that way but there's definitely some things that need to be looked at. Cases like Push overshadowing Pull in terms of ease of usage and reward (in general or vs varying levels of effort/thought required) while still costing roughly the same amount of points in a build aren't what I'd consider binary but are priorities when it comes to getting things in order. Also, bringing Force-oriented specs more in line with saber+Force builds (or even just making Force-oriented specs a concrete/consistently useful thing rather than gimmicky or considered to be trolling by most) is a primary goal for this set of changes.

General things on the table:
1) Adjusting mechanics
This would involve things like changing Push/Pull from just being click+point (or just click with Push in a lot of cases..) to having a charge-up that determines their behavior.
2) Consistency
Differences in the levels of powers and their effectiveness (looking at you Lightning 1 and Grip 1)
3) Push vs Pull
As I mentioned, I'd like to bring Push more in line with Pull. Reducing the arc that Push affects is one example/consideration for doing this.
4) Grip vs Lightning
This is a more fickle case but I think is definitely something to consider (especially in the cases of level 1 of each). Lightning 1 basically accomplishes what Grip 1 does without having a build-up to it. It does have the drawback of not being able to use other powers afterward but at that point, the enemy could probably be dead already.
5) Deflect
Possibly freeing up a power slot and re-allocating Deflect's effects between the different levels of Saber Defense (combining level 1 of Deflect with Defense, 2 of Deflect with 2 of Defense, etc).

There's a lot of things to consider but those are the main points of interest. Also, just to be clear, I haven't looked at possible differing costs of abilities yet since this is all still in the early early stages of being changed.

With that said, I'd like to introduce what I've dubbed "Force Attunement". On the gameplay side, this would be a new ability that would serve the purpose of allowing you to give up saber defense in exchange for enhancements/tweaks to the powers that you choose in your build instead of simply losing your saber (or having one just because you don't have anywhere else you want to put the points) and having the option of a few (more) powers at higher levels. On the development side, this would allow for easier changing/adjusting of things like Push's arc, charge-ups (or lack thereof) for powers, and so on (yay more bugs features). I'm currently thinking of having Attunement be an inverse relationship with Saber Defense. This means if you had level 3 in Defense, you wouldn't be able to get any in Attunement. If you had level 1 Defense, you could have level 2 Attunement. Basically, an easily visualization of sacrificing your saber skills for better Force attributes (a similar system to how you can only have certain styles mixed together).
Level 1:
  • Would increase the arc of Push (basically putting it to how it is now vs the reduction for non-Attunement builds)
  • Slightly increased FP pool or regeneration
  • Possible alternative (or maybe even the explicit) way of unlocking Repulse (maybe even just as the alternative to Jump 3 as a requirement)

Level 2:
  • Less FP drain from being shot
  • Minor damage decreased from light weapon shots via blocking with melee
  • Increased FP pool or regeneration (separate/increasing upon level 1's stuff)
  • Blue's Force Focus perk (2x faster on others, 2x slower on yourself unless the other person has the same attribute; or maybe split the perk in half between Attunement 2 and 3)
  • Lightning block would now drain FP/halt FP regen (could depend on Lightning level as well)
  • Able to displace (this doesn't inherently mean knocking them down) saberists with Push/Pull/Repulse regardless of them blocking/FB level/etc (would quite likely be adjusting Force Focus to work properly) in tandem with Attunement
  • Maybe allow limited cases of simultaneous power usage (depends on engine limits though)

Level 3:
  • Any power used on saberists would drain FP regardless of FB/Focus (wouldn't necessarily affect them, just make it easier to do things afterward, more or less)
  • Shots blocked via melee would have further damage decreases (no blocking projectile rifle shots with your fists though, sorry)
  • Specific bonuses depending on the levels of other powers, such as:
    • Force Block 3 would allow for modified threshholds for when powers could affect you
    • Mind Trick 3 allows for immunity to Sense while meditating; also possibly make it so that MT shares invisibility with teammates within a certain radius of the user
    • Lightning 3 + Force Block 2 or 3 would deal less damage to teammates
    • Lightning 2+ catches Wookiees on fire after a duration if they don't have Health 3
    • Repulse would affect Wookiees differently depending on their Strength levels (Strength 2 = get knocked down but maybe have to only have Strength 1 to play pinball with them)
  • More cases of simultaneous powers being used
Level 1 Attunement might seem underwhelming compared to the others but remember that you'd be able to have it with Defense 2 at the same time. I also have other ideas for various combinations but those start to get a bit too complex for the early stages... Now, for powers and possibilities for what to do with/to them.

• Reduction of effective arc
  • Can be charged up to increase arc and effectiveness (Attunement would affect this) vs players (would still affect projectiles/grenades within the arc as it does now)
  • Knockdown rules per level would be adjusted accordingly
  • Possible (small) range reduction
  • Add an arc similar to Push rather than be solely single target
  • Can be charged up to increase arc and effectiveness (Attunement would affect this)
  • Disarm/knockdown rules per level would be adjusted accordingly
Level 1:
  • Has visual/auditory indicator (entire process)
  • Requires walking while activating and maintaining
  • Forces target to walking speed and greatly reduces rate of fire (or maybe only allows primary shots or something along those lines)
  • Deals __ damage per tick
Level 2:
  • Has audio indicator for full process, visual only when it's nearing completion
  • Can run while activating but forced to walk while maintaining
  • Immobilizes target but still allows them to do very slow return fire
  • Deals __ damage per tick
Level 3:
  • Only has audio indicator
  • Can run while activating but walk while maintaining (somewhat faster than default speed)
  • Allows for lifting the target into the air and moving them, no retaliation allowed (except for powers from Jedi)
  • Deals __ damage per tick (probably will kill or nearly kill a Jedi from full health if Grip lasts entire duration)
Level 1:
  • __ damage per tick (minimal)
  • Forced to slowly walk while maintaining (capped duration, maybe?)
  • Target can use low rate of fire shots while being affected
Level 2:
  • __ damage per tick (depends on single or double stream)
  • Can run while doing single stream, normal walk speed with double stream
  • Can do two forward streams from melee (different animation than current 2H stream)
  • Target can't fire while being affected and is minimally slowed (between running and walking speed)
Level 3:
  • __ damage per tick
  • More damage if used in melee (current 2H lightning)
  • If target is knocked down, does further increased damage
  • If maintained with a saber, forced to walk
  • If maintained in melee, forced to speed between running and walking
  • Target can't fire and is slowed while affected (walking or less than walking speed)
Remember, none of this is set in stone. I think that's a good start for now though, whew.

Last edited:

T r i s t a n

Banned
Maybe you're just denying the fact that jedi/sith is just too easy using certain abilities?

also reminded me of this hahaha
Just accept the "reality" maybe?
I honestly have no idea who KEEMSTAR is and I really don't care. Seem's a lot of you folk worship the guy.

Maybe you're just denying the fact that jedi/sith is just too easy using certain abilities?
You forgot that all classes have abilities, if used correctly, make them easy.
Clones with blob for example, if they hit you with blob there is a 50/50 chance you will survive the blaster spam.
Wookies and Bowcaster...
And the noobmandas with their sniper...i dont want to think of them.
And there are more, i saw many honorless tricks, but i learned in Open is no honor, only cheesy tricks and toxic people.
If you are really a saberist you must hate youre kind.

Clones with blob for example, if they hit you with blob there is a 50/50 chance you will survive the blaster spam.
Do you know you can hit space after blobbed and then the clone can hit you at most once which has 100% chance to not kill you? If you are hit by other gunners then you are probably against multiple players. If you play against multiple players then the main reason you die is not the blob.