Finn is a gray abomination! Having trouble replacing models, looking for help.

Hello, all.

Most of you probably don't know me, but I'm an old-school JKA modder and skinner. I'm the author of the Biker Scout and Darth Talon skins currently used in the game. Hello! :)

It's been about a decade since I was active in the JKA modding community, and my skills have gotten rusty since then. I've run into a bit of trouble, and I'm hoping I can get some help. I've made a custom skin for myself, and I want to inject it into MBII in two places--one skin variant as a Hero, the other as a Jedi.

However, the currently available stickied Model Replacement Guide is a bit of a mess, and without any images it certainly doesn't help in any kind of troubleshooting, either.

So, this is what I'm trying to convert:

upload_2017-1-20_20-58-45.png

Basically, I followed the guide as best I could, and I was stuck with:

upload_2017-1-20_20-53-52.png

:eek::eek::eek:

Not exactly what I'm aiming for.

As far as I can tell, everything is in order. I made my custom model (working title Mantis) in its own .pk3, with the appropriate ZZZ_ to force it to load before the default models. I changed the model_default.skin file to point to Finn as necessary, same with the shader file.

But now.....this.

I can provide screenshots of the pk3 setup as necessary. Can anyone help?

Upvote 0

T r i s t a n

Banned
dialog files? I'm a little rusty on terminology. Does that mean sound files? In that case, yes.

How would you like the file sent?
Yes, send me a download link to the character file with the sound files and I will take a look. MEGA or Mediafire is fine.

Excellent. I sent you a PM with the links.

...Well, not a PM, but this forum seems to have a "Start A Covnersation" button that seems to function in all respects identically to a PM, so I used that instead.

Tempest

Gameplay Design
Movie Battles II Team
Nice to see old talent returning! Talon is one of my favorite models (Kerrigan lines are very fitting and also among my favorite) so props for making that!

Onto the error(s): I believe it could be related to the .glm. A lot of the models have had their .glms combined so trying to replace one part of it can end up with something like this (I had an old Alora replacement from way back that did this exact same thing). Perhaps one of our modders could make a guide for solving such issues? <3 @Penekowski @swagmaster

hey, thanks! I was particualrly proud of getting the Starcraft 1 Kerrigan sounds on there. Since Talon was a comic book character, she naturally didn't HAVE a voice, so I had to improvise. I think Kerrigan fit the bill for "psionic evil Sith bitch". =D

Yeah, from all appearances it LOOKS like the model GLM didn't get replaced. That explains the gray textures, my new model_default.skin is trying to apply my new textures to Finn's model and the Finn model is saying "okay, but I'm looking for a pants.jpg and you're not telling me where a pants.jpg is, so I'm just going to show gray".

However, I have no idea WHY it's showing the original glm. I have the new model.glm in the zzzz_MantisReplacement.pk3 file, so theoretically it SHOULD be looking to that file to load its GLM, not the original Finn GLM.

Penekowski

Armchair Developer
Movie Battles II Team
Nice to see old talent returning! Talon is one of my favorite models (Kerrigan lines are very fitting and also among my favorite) so props for making that!

Onto the error(s): I believe it could be related to the .glm. A lot of the models have had their .glms combined so trying to replace one part of it can end up with something like this (I had an old Alora replacement from way back that did this exact same thing). Perhaps one of our modders could make a guide for solving such issues? <3 @Penekowski @swagmaster

We'll make a guide at some point, for the most part it's simple but there are some exceptions.

Did you rename the beginning of the file with z_zz_ @Tyrael64?
z_zz_? No, just ZZZZ_.

My actual aim has been to replace rey and Aayla Secura with this model. Towards that end, I tried assembling another PK3 and prefixing it with z_zz, like you said. The result, however:

* Aayla Secura was complete untouched by the mod whatsoever.
* Rey was replaced with the target model.glm, but it looks like it's not reading the model_default.skin, since all textures show up grey and all the toggled-off parts are appearing.

Furthermore, the default icon isn't being replaced, even though I made sure to include a mb2_icon_default.jpg in the override file.

upload_2017-1-21_14-41-51.png

upload_2017-1-21_14-41-39.png

swagmaster

Model Fixer Dude
Movie Battles II Team
Well z_zz_ at the beggining of the file replacement is VERY important, otherwise the replacement will glitch like the above. Also, try to replace a model that has only one variant.

T r i s t a n

Banned
Can the replacement be for anyone? or does it have to be Aayla and Rey? It is their .glm file that is the issue.

It has to be for *a* Hero and *a* Jedi, but doesn't have be for them specifically. I just picked those two since they're what appear to everyone else not with my skin, of course.

Other candidates to try:
Jedi: mara_jumpsuit, Kreia
Hero: Mara, leia_endor

swagmaster

Model Fixer Dude
Movie Battles II Team
I can take a look, and actually do the fix for whatever mistake is bugging the replacement out.

@swagmaster, thanks a bunch! I sent you a PM / "conversation" with the file links. Let me know if you run into any issues and we can work together to get through it.