Dotf map with balcony request.

Hello guys! My name is Blut and I'm a brazilian mb2 player.

I'd like to make a tricky request if you don't mind. Does anybody has the version of dotf map with balcony to make available?
I know we have the dotf_classic map, but imo I think that version is not as good as the other. I've searched all around of internet without success.
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Honestly, why the hell devs just not make dotf_classic as this "balcony" map which are most of the people familiar and suggesting it?

Honestly, why the hell devs just not make dotf_classic as this "balcony" map which are most of the people familiar and suggesting it?

It all started when Mace created his new version of DOTF, which a very large amount of the community dislikes btw, and completely took out the balcony dotf version of the map. Because of this blunder, Mace and the entire developer team had people questioning the removal of the old version and after debating on multiple threads the devs have still not listened to the community, and it has been almost 2 years since balcony dotf has been in the game.

He put out the "dotf_classic" map instead of the balcony version in order to spite us in a passive-aggressive attempt to get back at us, but that only succeeded in making the community criticize him even worse and now he wants to delay the release more because of this. We don't even know if the balcony version will ever come out.

It's also quite hilarious that when somebody on this thread found the old version, a moderator edited the link and removed it. Whoever did it later readded the link, but that is still quite scummy and pathetic.

Mace denies any accusations and claims that he and the developer team are delaying the addition of the old balcony version, and he purports that the map has shader and texture issues. That's weird because even when I found the supposedly poorly optimized version and put it on a server, a group of friends and I played the map for a very long time and with a lot of people and noticed no issues at all.

I personally think that simply adding the balcony version of DOTF and fixing any shader or texture issues should take precedence over any other updates to the game, atleast right now. I don't believe the lie that fixing it would take forever, because like I said above, the map runs completely fine.

Wicket369

Banned
Somebody should make nonstop online server with the dotf balcony map like we have the tr deathstar server

If ppl would like to play that they would need to download the map and if lot of ppl will be doing that devs wont have any other choice than put it in the game.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
but that only succeeded in making the community criticize him even worse and now he wants to delay the release more because of this..

No, every time I say "map delayed 1 month" on discord is reference to the joke of gaben delaying more HL3 when people mention it.

We don't even know if the balcony version will ever come out.

Should my update after the UI and tutorials come out not be sufficient. It will.

and he purports that the map has shader and texture issues.

Cause it does, and you're not an expert on the subject. I never said the issues are game breaking. In fact, I specifically said they weren't game breaking. I still have to fix them though because I don't want anything messing with the updated version.

I personally think that simply adding the balcony version of DOTF and fixing any shader or texture issues should take precedence over any other updates to the game, atleast right now. I don't believe the lie that fixing it would take forever, because like I said above, the map runs completely fine.

It takes about 10 hours for me to do. I am completely overloaded with tasks that are far more important than 1 fucking map. If you guys wanted to play it, youd actually go to the server dedicated to the balcony dotf version and download the modified version yourself (WHICH I FUCKING HELPED WITH THANK YOU). Just like everyone did in the old cloud city days after the old cloud city was removed. You all have more resources at your disposal, but somehow cannot do something the community did 10 years ago with no problems.

I just downloaded the balcony dotf and ran around looking for visual bugs and stuff like this.
@MaceMadunusus or anyone else would you be so kind and provide some screenshots featuring said shader bugs, because i failed to find any (i am not an expert)
Is this considered a visual bug?
d99e1-clip-102kb.jpg

No, every time I say "map delayed 1 month" on discord is reference to the joke of gaben delaying more HL3 when people mention it.

To be honest, after a year and a half of hearing that meme, it seems like you aren't joking anymore.

Cause it does, and you're not an expert on the subject. I never said the issues are game breaking. In fact, I specifically said they weren't game breaking. I still have to fix them though because I don't want anything messing with the updated version.

So supposedly the texture and shader issues are so bad in that they would take 10 hours to fix. Okay fine, maybe it will take a long time to fix but the fact that the balcony version of DOTF still hasn't came out even after almost two years now of its removal even when a large sum of the community wants it back is just stupid to me.

It takes about 10 hours for me to do. I am completely overloaded with tasks that are far more important than 1 fucking map. If you guys wanted to play it, youd actually go to the server dedicated to the balcony dotf version and download the modified version yourself (WHICH I FUCKING HELPED WITH THANK YOU). Just like everyone did in the old cloud city days after the old cloud city was removed. You all have more resources at your disposal, but somehow cannot do something the community did 10 years ago with no problems.

Sure, making a server with the balcony dotf would make sense, but I just don't understand why you can't simply just slide the pk3 file into a new update especially when it doesn't even have any game breaking issues. Even though a big chunk of the community wants the map back, not many people want to go through downloading it (even if it is a simple as putting a pk3 file in your MBII folder).

You all have more resources at your disposal, but somehow cannot do something the community did 10 years ago with no problems.

I could argue the same to you, why can't you simply just add the pk3 file, I mean you have all the resources at your disposal. ;)

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Is this considered a visual bug?

That is not considered a visual bug. Its mainly a lot of little things, like an incorrect texture in one spot, a incorrectly scaled texture in another, one texture replacing another etc. If you look at the current classic DOTF you'll see that all of the texture and shader paths changed over the original b19 version.

To be honest, after a year and a half of hearing that meme, it seems like you aren't joking anymore.

MB2 work goes very slowly. Spaghetti even added a thing to the stats server that lets you see how often and how much we commit to the beta repository. There hasn't been a commit in over 7 days and the bump you see recorded there was a pretty abnormal amount of high activity in a single time period. We aren't a full time dev team. And generally I don't want to do boring work that involves looking at text files, which is mostly what this is. Currently forcing myself to do that for UI stuff, because that is something that needs to be done to get the big update out, since its a progress stopper, and affects more people than those who play dotf all the time. I try to do work in my list that won't burn me out as fast.

Sure, making a server with the balcony dotf would make sense, but I just don't understand why you can't simply just slide the pk3 file into a new update especially when it doesn't even have any game breaking issues. Even though a big chunk of the community wants the map back, not many people want to go through downloading it (even if it is a simple as putting a pk3 file in your MBII folder).

Because the team doesn't intentionally put interfering and overwriting assets into the mod. And because I am a perfectionist where that if something gets added to the mod its as cleaned up as possible. We also have a limited number of PK3s we can add before the engine gets bonkers, and we cannot remove a PK3 later.

Because the team doesn't intentionally put interfering and overwriting assets into the mod. And because I am a perfectionist where that if something gets added to the mod its as cleaned up as possible. We also have a limited number of PK3s we can add before the engine gets bonkers, and we cannot remove a PK3 later.

This certainly can't be the case, because after downloading multiple map packs even with the massive list of pk3s we have currently, I notice no issues, at least none performance-wise. Can you provide an example of what happens if there are too many PK3s and what is the cap?

MB2 work goes very slowly. Spaghetti even added a thing to the stats server that lets you see how often and how much we commit to the beta repository. There hasn't been a commit in over 7 days and the bump you see recorded there was a pretty abnormal amount of high activity in a single time period. We aren't a full-time dev team. And generally, I don't want to do boring work that involves looking at text files, which is mostly what this is. Currently forcing myself to do that for UI stuff, because that is something that needs to be done to get the big update out, since its a progress stopper, and affects more people than those who play dotf all the time. I try to do work in my list that won't burn me out as fast.

I hear you yet while making sure that new players can learn and understand the game in hopes that they might stay is paramount, I think keeping your older experienced players happy is also extremely important. I know some people have more ''creative'' ways to ask you but just dude... just work on the map for the sake of the community and for respect of the game. Avoiding hard work won't solve it, and people will always give shit if you don't work on it. You know the veterans of the community want it back, you know what to do.

Yet none of these issues exist in the new dotf.

none of those issues exist in new dotf cus none of those issues existed in the most updated version of dotf before dotfv2

-snip snip ppl posted things that cover last bit-