Dark Forces II Saber SFX

2cwldys

FA Contributor
Donator
Internal Beta Team
I used some modding tools from massassi.net and extracted saber blade .mat files from the deeply beloved Dark Forces II: and simply converted them to Grayscale.

dJCEJNr.jpeg
saber_blade.jpg
saber_end.jpg
S2wWJfJ.png

jUTHjRY.png

Going on a vintage craze with this nostalgic "reverse demake" restoration & content generation genre of late, recently adding two new maps by Arbok with Jaktan & FrenZy, as well as custom base FA content. I've looked into further ways to add to the experience to appeal to a lot of older players.

yK1ZvTf.png

AmdALRO.png

uismSMP.png
G2Sljah.png

qFJ0gV9.png

Some years ago, I made a saber SFX post with some modified visual assets that players liked, and made it easier for them to duel and play with. Granted, I was much younger and less experienced then, and they weren't that perfect. Yet people still used them. I figured it's time to revisit that post, and grant a new addition.

Some image examples:

image_2024-08-11_044218784.png

GBM7tRG.png
6PZr2Mm.png
gKp5TyA.png

iiOVCeg.png

There may be better ways to improve upon this, and you're likely right. Here's the best I can do in the meantime, and perhaps may encourage others to have better solutions towards replicating Dark Forces SFX with those grainy 16 bit textures we oldheads all love. In the meantime it can work as a thin saber replacement I suppose. Personally dueling with them was quite fun.

I don't trust myself with sharing .pk3s on personal cloud storages such as Mega, Dropbox, or Google Drive, is because eventually they'll fall out of circulation. I'll throw it on GitHub instead, so it's likely forever archived as long as it is relevant.

---

You can download it from the GitHub of our team repository that aims to contribute daily to custom FA textassets.
Drop it in your ./MBII directory and remove it when it isn't needed, or breaks. Simple.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

2cwldys

FA Contributor
Donator
Internal Beta Team
I've revised an additional 2.0 version, which uses Dark Forces II sounds in aspects of dueling, and in miscellaneous areas. It may also help you time combos but keep that vintage feel alongside the saber blade modifications.

SOUNDS CHANGED:

Walking sounds and running on various hard surfaces
Saber hums, hups, parries, perfect blocks, clashes, and semi perfect blocks.

These can be tweaked and of course modified as players feel comfortable, or with feedback. It's not perfect.
It's an alternative version with sounds. You can grab it here.

Last edited:

2cwldys

FA Contributor
Donator
Internal Beta Team
I spent some more time with the PK3 to add the font and force power icons from Dark Forces II.
It isn't perfect, and the font itself lacks a good chunk of special characters, and not all the force power icons could be covered by DFII's imagery.

I made some force power icons of my own, alongside the originals:
UxGGGcT.png

Here's an example of it in use:
HLMdu6P.png

Here's the example of the font in use while connecting to a server:

MnBgWn6.png

I messed with the sounds some, so it's a bit more random the sounds it makes when you get hit by a lightsaber to diversify them.
This pack functions as a force power icon replacer, and font replacer. I spent some time also additionally working on the blades some, they still look about the same I'd reckon and as such it's not worth really posting an image. The pack still has the walking sound replacements.

If you don't like some of the things in the pack, it's easy to delete them from it.

You can download it from my github repo. Enjoy!

Last edited: