•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Technical Issue Custom Model System

Alright, ever since the new update came around, I wanted to implement custom models from JKhub. I had a clone wars Anakin model that I wanted to use, but when I added the suffix +jed_, it didn't load into the game. I did all the steps right, The model's name was +jed_CWAnakin_2. I put the folder into players. I downloaded multiple other models for custom but they didn't work either. All the models were MP compatible so I'm guessing they work for movie battles? I need some help with this.

I don't know if there's been a similar post to this that has the solution, but it's not as simple as it is made out to be on the change-log.

Firstly, you'll need to change the name of the icon you wish to use when selecting the character. Very simple, you just need to rename the icon you want to mb2_icon_default. The mod will know to use that icon for the character when you want to select them.

Now, for the more technical part. In the players folder, along with the icon, you'll find the necessary files needed for the model you want to add (textures and the actual model etc.). Now, among those files is one particular file called model_default.skin. This contains the data/lines that dictates what textures are being used by the default model and basically allows you to see it. You can open this up with notepad to view its contents.

When you do, you'll notice that the lines are like this:

pouch,models/players/Zabrak/packs.tga
hipsa,models/players/Zabrak/legs.tga
hipsa_belt,models/players/Zabrak/accesories.tga
r_lega,models/players/Zabrak/legs.tga

Or for the particular model you're wanting to use:

pouch,models/players/CWAnakin_2/packs.tga
hipsa,models/players/CWAnakin_2/legs.tga
hipsa_belt,models/players/CWAnakin_2/accesories.tga
r_lega,models/players/CWAnakin_2/legs.tga

This is purely an example, and some of these lines may not be present in the actual skin file you're looking at. You'll notice, though, that I've swapped Zabrak out in exchange for CWAnakin_2. This part of the line tells the game which specific folder to look for, when it's loading the model, so it knows what textures to apply. You need to change it to reflect the new name you've given the folder. In this instance, for you, it will be +jed_CWAnakin_2. It should look like this when you're done (again just an example):

pouch,models/players/+jed_CWAnakin_2/packs.tga
hipsa,models/players/+jed_CWAnakin_2/legs.tga
hipsa_belt,models/players/+jed_CWAnakin_2/accesories.tga
r_lega,models/players/+jed_CWAnakin_2/legs.tga

Once you're done with that, save the .skin file and close it. And that should be all that's needed. However, I recommend that you package the file into a .zip folder with the following path: models -> players -> characterfolderhere (in your case, it'll be +jed_CWAnakin_2). Give the .zip a name, but be sure to have z_zz_at the start of that name, and place it into your MBII folder. A really good thing to pick at and play with in your own time, and it's what I did to figure out how to do it, is to look at Peneke's pack. As of v1.9, his pack now follows this new system. If you haven't already got it, or know about it, you can find it here: Penekepack V1.9 Hotfixes are out!

I hope this helps.

-E

Edit: I've just realised where the issue may have been. You need to zip the file and make sure it has the .pk3 extension otherwise the game won't know to read it!

Last edited:
Sorry for the late reply and thank you for taking the time out of your day to do this for me, but I followed all your steps that you showed me but the mod won't load in my custom options ingame. I did the icon name replacement and the .skin file change but it just won't show up. Is this because i'm using Peneke Pack?

Penekepack shouldn't interfere with any models you add yourself. Could you provide a link to the Anakin model you want to use? Knowing exactly what you're dealing with will help figure out where it may not be working.

-E