•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Hosting Server Any way to run server without port forwarding?

I have had this game for years, and I just want to play with a few friends. Is it possible to create server without port forwarding

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I have had this game for years, and I just want to play with a few friends. Is it possible to create server without port forwarding
No.
Your server must be able to accept incoming connections. If you aren't behind a NAT/router/proxy, you no need to forward anything, but if you are, NAT simply won't let data go to your server.

In case you use router to Internet, but your friends are physically connected to same router, i. e. they are in your local network, there is no need of port forwarding ("UDP server").

But what a problem to forward ports? You don't have an access to router? Your ISP uses a NAT and don't configure it by request?

If someone of your friends can open ports, he/she can create a server, and you will be able to play together. Or just join a public server.

Last edited:
No.
Your server must be able to accept incoming connections. If you aren't behind a NAT/router/proxy, you no need to forward anything, but if you are, NAT simply won't let data go to your server.

In case you use router to Internet, but your friends are physically connected to same router, i. e. they are in your local network, there is no need of port forwarding ("UDP server").

But what a problem to forward ports? You don't have an access to router? Your ISP uses a NAT and don't configure it by request?

If someone of your friends can open ports, he/she can create a server, and you will be able to play together. Or just join a public server.
My only concern with port forwarding is once you host a server your bandwidth usage goes up which means the internet bill does as well I'm pretty sure

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
My only concern with port forwarding is once you host a server your bandwidth usage goes up which means the internet bill does as well I'm pretty sure
I didn't get what do you mean.
Port forwarding itself doesn't increase traffic, but if you host a server you should understand that it will consume some traffic, that's obvious.
Also some ISP requires an additional pay for opening port on their NAT, for a "white" IP address, for a static IP address etc.