Xhair settingd

Hello there

Are there ways to unlock xhair? I mean, when my xhair near the opponent has, the xhair jumps and is glued to second one. >< Can I set my xhair free like in the specs mod or closer to it? And also there is the feeling like xhair moves independed of my aim (smoothly). I want xhair behavior (and type) like it is in specs.

Thanks.

you mean dynamic crosshair? there's a cvar for this, but i don't recommend disabling it, it reduces precision needed for medium and long range engagements
as for the second thing it sounds like your cg_thirdpersoncameradamp and cg_thirdpersontargetdamp are set too low, try setting the values close to 1

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired
you mean dynamic crosshair? there's a cvar for this, but i don't recommend disabling it, it reduces precision needed for medium and long range engagements

It could still conceivably be of use in close combat... like trying to flinch a Sith, or PB enemy saber swings. One could create a keybind to switch between crosshair 'modes' depending on the situation he's in. As someone who previously played the Battlefront series with satisfactory results, I think this merits further investigation.

Edit: Okay, yes, preliminary experimentation suggests Battlefront and Jedi Academy are two vastly different things.

Re-edit: Cranking up the damping values seems to have helped, though, especially when I increased mouse sensitivity to match. Definitely keeping dynamic crosshairs on.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Yeah, honestly, I think cg_thirdpersontargetdamp and cg_thirdpersoncameradamp ought to both be set to 1 by default. Or at least there ought to be visible menu sliders to mess with "camera looseness" and "crosshair looseness", or something. The default camera is so wiggly.

you mean dynamic crosshair?
In my head 'dynamic' means something like cs:go xhair cfg :D

So if you called sticky to enemy's body xhair - yes that is what I mean. But there is some troubles with options! When I turn off my dynamic xhair it dissapears at all :C

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
If your damping settings are set as mentioned above, you'll at least have the camera consistently pointing at a particular point, meaning you can "aim with the camera" to a degree. If you're firing sustained fire and your crosshair is jumping around because people are passing in front of your line of fire, learn to aim based on where the shots are going. A completely static crosshair is inaccurate in this game, and if you figure out how to activate it, and keep playing while relying on it, your shots will be inaccurate.

If your damping settings are set as mentioned above, you'll at least have the camera consistently pointing at a particular point, meaning you can "aim with the camera" to a degree. If you're firing sustained fire and your crosshair is jumping around because people are passing in front of your line of fire, learn to aim based on where the shots are going. A completely static crosshair is inaccurate in this game, and if you figure out how to activate it, and keep playing while relying on it, your shots will be inaccurate.

Thank you for answer and some tips about xhair. But may you tell me /seta command (or where is it in options) to turn my xhair completely static like in spec mode?

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd
Turning off dynamic crosshair was actually quite magnificent for my aim, trying to compensate with my crosshair bouncing everywhere and actively *changing* where my shots are going, was annoying. The deal-breaker, however, is the fact that the crosshair ends up 2 feet lower than where it should be, and the crosshair movement commands don't work... for some reason.

Reactions: SK5

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
... the dynamic crosshair does not "actively change where your shots are going," how did you get that impression? Your shots fly in a line out from your gun. This line does not project out from your camera; it projects out from your gun. Therefore, for the crosshair to accurately depict where your shots will go when you are in third person (and, to a lesser degree, in first person), it must move away from the dead center of the screen and towards your gun, as you get closer to a target.

Having a totally static crosshair when your aim is not, in fact, totally static relative to the camera, means having a crosshair that is an approximation or a guideline rather than an accurate depiction. Which would be sort of fine, and probably has its pros and cons, if not for, as you said, the fact that the static crosshair isn't even accurate when you're standing still.

The dynamic crosshair gives you a good sense of "where your shot will hit," but since you have to lead your shots a lot, and are frequently not going to be pointing at your target, I will agree that in a lot of contexts it doesn't really help. I think the best theoretical route would be to have a static crosshair that always shows where your shots would theoretically go if there were no obstacles, AND draw the dynamic crosshair to acknowledge the actual hit location. Drawing both crosshairs like this would imply your "firing line" really well, which would be really cool.

edit: given that it's a third person shooter AND doesn't use hitscan "point and click" client-side weapons, the crosshair design and nature of aiming is more complicated. You need to have a good sense of where you're looking AND where you're firing from, you need to have a good visualization of the line between those two points. Honestly, I think that between watching/understanding how the crosshair jumps around as it passes over targets, watching how your shots fly, and keeping track in your head of where you were aiming and how you're moving, it's possible to keep great track of this line with the current systems.

there's just the other quibble of certain crosshairs (dual pistols) being inaccurate at very close and very long ranges, and crosshairs in general obscuring vision at long range. I don't know what perfect solution i'm wishing for that would let me aim at people at long distance without mostly covering them with my crosshair. Firing each shot as a twitch shot works pretty well, though. Maybe I'd like an option where as you hold down the fire button, your crosshair fades out, allowing for better control/observation of sustained suppressing fire.

Last edited:

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
I would like to play around with non dynamic crosshair, if only the commands to move it would work. Its a pain to constantly aim a little up and to the left...

... it must move away from the dead center of the screen and towards your gun, as you get closer to a target.
That is annoying when you are trying to PB some hits with saber. I can't even see my xhair location while in close combat. Saberists always facehug you and xhair glued to their bodies many times especially a d as ds swings. So there is situation like this

Just let me escape that thing and I'll be happy saberist. ^_^

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
@Ragequit That link you sent says "This document is available only to its owner."

Also, PB zones are pretty big, I think? So it's not like you need the precision of your crosshair to aim at them. Aim with your camera. Or, if they ARE based on the crosshair, then the fact that the crosshair will show you if you're looking at the enemy's body instead of past them strikes me as very important and very useful. Making the crosshair less accurate doesn't seem like it would help. It sounds like when they're very close to you, maybe you have to look very far to the side to PB, and the crosshair reflects that.

(I'm not sure either way, I've never closely investigated how PB works, and am a "gunner main," so i'm fairly inexperienced duelist)

to be super clear, I don't know whether PB is based on where your crosshair is placed or where your camera is pointing, but either way the dynamic crosshair seems either irrelevant or useful. You're saying you want the crosshair to change, but maybe you really want PB mechanics to change?

@Ragequit That link you sent says "This document is available only to its owner."

Also, PB zones are pretty big, I think? So it's not like you need the precision of your crosshair to aim at them. Aim with your camera. Or, if they ARE based on the crosshair, then the fact that the crosshair will show you if you're looking at the enemy's body instead of past them strikes me as very important and very useful. Making the crosshair less accurate doesn't seem like it would help. It sounds like when they're very close to you, maybe you have to look very far to the side to PB, and the crosshair reflects that.

(I'm not sure either way, I've never closely investigated how PB works, and am a "gunner main," so i'm fairly inexperienced duelist)

to be super clear, I don't know whether PB is based on where your crosshair is placed or where your camera is pointing, but either way the dynamic crosshair seems either irrelevant or useful. You're saying you want the crosshair to change, but maybe you really want PB mechanics to change?

PB zones are prerfect. Not so big but not so small. But when you are far away from enemy you may PB more cause of lesser mouse yawing from corner to corner. And when enemy is close you must yawing like crazy and have godlike stable reaction to pblock 100% hits (if enemy is not yawing while attack; if enemy is yawing like crazy you must side hit himself)

I like how PB system works. But sometimes in fight I just loose my xhair position cause of flashes and saber swings. And especially if enemy is close. So now without dynamic xhair I feel myself so much better. It is different in some moments (cause I played with dynamic alot). Need to play more without dynamic xhair :)

Thanks for answers. That's all I needed))

Last edited:

SK5

Internal Beta Team
EU Official Server Admin
If u want to try it without dynamic xhair, "/cg_dynamic 0" is the command in case you didnt know.

Some feedback below (used dyn_0):

1. When I shoot - oh hell wtf sorry mate :D Inaccurate at all but you may learn how to fix ur aim
2. Different feelings when aim from 3rd p view. Takes time to learn the new one
3. Looks great in saberfights. Freely and obedient

Conclusion

For saberfights dyn_0
For gunners default (with thirdcameradamp_1 and etc)

IMHO

ADDED (instead of posting a new one post below)

Can I set my xhair alfa extremly high? How? There are no options in jampcfg :c

Last edited:
Reactions: SK5

ent

Movie Battles II Team
If u want to try it without dynamic xhair, "/cg_dynamic 0" is the command in case you didnt know.
cg_dynamicCrosshair 0, actually.
Your way works because of autocompletion.
About dynamic crosshair:
About cg_gunX/Y/Z. It is a good idea to unlock those and give some minimum range, but Quake 3 and Jedi Academy shooting are different.
Q3 projectiles always come from center of screen (thus from the center of a model in 3D world), but JA projectiles come from muzzle of a gun, so they are always offset to the right bottom corner and come from there. The muzzle position is different for every gun.
That's why Q3 crosshair is always centered but JA one is dynamic (it gets traced from muzzle to the shot direction).
If you change gun offset position with cg_gunX/Y/Z you may have wrong experience of shooting with guns, but ofc such a feature can have a chance to exist, but it won't make a big sense.
Source: Cvars suggestion :))
You better leave cg_dynamicCrosshair enabled to have a proper aiming experience.
replace xhair texture
GameData\MBII\MBAssets2.pk3\gfx\2d\crosshairx.tga
It's better to create an overriding pk3 file with the same texture file and its path packed inside. Else the launcher will replace that MBAssets2.pk3 file within the next patch (or the next test of integrity) due to hashes mismatch.