Wrist Laser, Flamethrower or... Wrist-Wire-thingy?

Imagine shooting an enemy with the wire, disarming them, but simoultaneusly being unable to shoot yourself because you gotta hold the wire. It would kind of be like how Grip currently works, except the wired person can still move around but can't run away or shoot back.

Balance by limiting range, amount of uses and duration. It wouldn't be dealing damage. Also won't disarm Jedi/Sith that hold block or swing-block... Or you can tie the success-rate to Force-block or Saber Deflect or whatever.

It's purpose? Why would you use it over the other two? I don't know... Could be fun?

Is this even doable with this engine or is it too complicated for it?

For reference, what Jango uses on Ob-Wan around the 1:05 mark in this video:

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired
It's no trouble to code this at all, the only engine issue is physics for getting pulled around as they are not ragdolly at all, anway grapple already exists in Full Authentic Mode, and this is a mere enhancement of that, the issues comes with balancing this ability which is harder than you think as balance has to apply to all clases. Also how much gameplay does it really add in terms of it not just being a fadd and whatnot.

I posted it before in other threads suggesting whipcord and I'll post again, give out a full spec of this ability in minute detail of how it works the point cost, etc, how it balances/is countered/useful against each class of rebs, everything, and I will implement it immediately. Otherwise I don't guarantee it will come to open mode ever, maybe Full Authentic mode some day.

I don't play FA much, can't seem to find any populated EU ones whenever I play.

And I was hoping to get some discussion going so my crude take on it could be picked apart a bit and then hopefully be reincarnated as something better.

I wouldn't dare hope Mando's could fly around and ragdoll people with it, I could easily see that being OP in itself if you simply grab someone mid-air and drag them out of cover without them having any control over it. If anything I meant it just as a cruder less effective version of pull for Mandos. I try to start very small whenever I make suggestions, which is why right now it's merely a fun tool and probably wouldn't serve any purpose in actual gameplay. With a bit of polish, it could be though.

But you are right, gotta rethink this ability a bit. Probably gotta go test out the grapple thing in FA before I make any more progress on this, if I even will.

Jorge

Venom Big Boss Coder
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Grapple in Full Authentic Mode (Try out the Toy Story Map as that for sure has grapple) has among many things an ability where if you hit someone with it, it will jank them torwards you and knock them down.
The problem with that is that it requires too much precision (making its use not that appealing or useful to anything but static jedi) and at the same time is OP because it can't be blocked by such jedi and any ability that can just knock you down is as powerful as a nade which for a mando would be OP if its not expensive but then at that point why would you get that when you can have flamethrower or wristfire. See it is not easy balancing lol I've tried.

By the way Feel free to apply to the beta team if you want to contribute or play around with this idea. (though in no way do I guarantee, or is it even my decision whether or not you get in, just a suggestion, you lose nothing for applying, though if you do take it seriously)

SomeGuy

Donator
Internal Beta Team
It would probably be better if it did not have physics attached to it at all. Go see the sarlacc scene in RotJ when Fett wraps up Luke. You could just make it like a short disable ability where they can't move their arms, maybe slowly walk around, until it is off.

@Jorge-Fonseca
@SomeGuy. Excellent idea. It wouldn't knock them down, it would just curl them up in a bunch of wires. Jedi could easily slice out of it, while other gunners it takes a bit more time. I also think jedi should still be able to saber block while tangled, but unable to move. They have to swing if they want to get out of it.

I think a good way to implement this is is to have it so you can use it an infinite number of times until you score a hit. (with a small cooldown of course)

Last edited:

Zed

The devs are never going to add this for some reason, I suggested it months ago and still nothing.