•     Please make sure you check the Support FAQ and relevant Guides before you create a new thread in this section!

Launcher [Windows 8.1] VM_Create on UI failed error

After attempting to install a skin pack, my Movie Battles 2 no longer functions properly. If I try launching from the MBII launcher, I get this as an error: Z_Free(): Corrupt zone header! Strange enough, it seems to be launching from the SP instead of the MP.

I also tried launching from the MP, to which I get this error: VM_Create on UI failed. I get this error only after trying to join/create a game in the MBII main menu.

I have searched high and low for guides and other methods of fixing each error. I have made sure to run everything on administrator, re-installed Jedi Academy, and re-installed the MB launcher. I have run completely out of ideas. Help would be greatly appreciated.

My version of Jedi Academy is on Steam, and the mod I attempted to install has since been deleted.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Running as admin is not enough, you also have to have special previlegies yourself and for GameData and child folders.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\

As for the permissions, the thing is, ive been running the game just fine until I attempted to install the skin pack which was just an extra pk3 file. I have since removed it, but to no avail, as I still seem to be suffering errors. I also have no commands input either for the launcher or Steam.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => MBII Client => Play.
If you still get an error, please post a screenshot or full log, not just error text.

Also, if you can run mb2 without skinpack, and can't with it, this is probably because of skinpack. What skinpack you're trying to use?

MBII Launcher => Settings => Engine => MBII Client => Play.
If you still get an error, please post a screenshot or full log, not just error text.

Also, if you can run mb2 without skinpack, and can't with it, this is probably because of skinpack. What skinpack you're trying to use?
I know that method works, but i'd rather play it so I can be on Steam with it. I'm pretty sure that doesn't save your profile name or class customs. Correct me if i'm wrong.

EDIT: Also, as I said, I have attempted to fix the problem, the go to first idea being to remove the mod. That did nothing.
Link to mod post: ClanAOD.net Forums.

For the direct download via dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/op6uhor2yp...ackV2.pk3?dl=0

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
I know that method works, but i'd rather play it so I can be on Steam with it. I'm pretty sure that doesn't save your profile name or class customs. Correct me if i'm wrong.
Yes, MB Client won't touch your Steam profile in any way. But you should check does that method work *now*, maybe currently it's broken too. And MB Client can provide extended error log.

So... you say:
  1. You played MB2 via Steam/jamp all the time, all worked well
  2. Then you tried too install skinpack, and after that you've errors, constantly
  3. Then you've delete skinpack, but error didn't go away
Did I get right?

Try this:
  1. Delete uix86.dll from "Jedi Academy\GameData" and from "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII"
  2. Start MBII Launcher, but don't click Play
  3. Right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam Library and select Properties. You should see a button labeled Set Launch Options. Select that, and in the text field copy and paste
    Code:
    +set fs_game MBII
    Whenever you start Jedi Academy Multiplayer through Steam it will automatically load to Movie Battles II
What happens now? Did file uix86.dll have appeared in "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII"?

Last edited:
Yes, MB Client won't touch your Steam profile in any way. But you should check does that method work *now*, maybe currently it's broken too. And MB Client can provide extended error log.

So... you say:
  1. You played MB2 via Steam/jamp all the time, all worked well
  2. Then you tried too install skinpack, and after that you've errors, constantly
  3. Then you've delete skinpack, but error didn't go away
Did I get right?

Try this:
  1. Delete uix86.dll from "Jedi Academy\GameData" and from "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII"
  2. Start MBII Launcher, but don't click Play
  3. Right click on Jedi Academy in your Steam Library and select Properties. You should see a button labeled Set Launch Options. Select that, and in the text field copy and paste
    Code:
    +set fs_game MBII
    Whenever you start Jedi Academy Multiplayer through Steam it will automatically load to Movie Battles II
What happens now? Did file uix86.dll have appeared in "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII"?
After following your instructions, the game did indeed work. It also re-created the same file I deleted after I closed the program. Was that the problem? Was it a bad file? Should I restart my computer to make sure?

Okay, so. Deleting that file that you told me to delete seems to work, but only temporarily. After a few launches and closes it seems to corrupts itself or something and I need to delete it. now, this wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't make me re-make all of my character skill profiles over again. Not sure why, but the custom slot in the creator doesn't give you the full skill points right away, making me kill myself via console over and over. Each time I do that, it gives me the skills gradually. This seems to be an effective temporary fix, but i'd rather not continue playing at such a tedious method.

Edit: Never mind. That only seems to be a minor bug when launching a local training game. I would, however, like a permanent fix if there is one possible for the file so i don't have to delete it every time.

Last edited:
I believe I have found the true culprit to the problem. It didn't seem to be the skinpack at all. it was, however, a new software that was installed on my computer from Raptr that created this new game recording software. For some reason, that seems to crash my Jedi Academy.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Sorry about answering too late, some RL stuff took all my time.
After following your instructions, the game did indeed work. It also re-created the same file I deleted after I closed the program. Was that the problem? Was it a bad file?
Every time jamp is loading, it's unpack uix86.dll from "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII\MBII.pk3" to "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII". If it isn't possible to do because of there are not enough permissions or "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII\uix86.dll" is read only, an error occurs.
Despite the fact that uix86.dll is unpacked to "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII", jamp tries to load uix86.dll from "Jedi Academy\GameData" first. If that dll isn't compatible (base jka, older MBII...) with current Movie Battles version, game fails to run.

Please mention it isn't always a bad thing to have uix86.dll in "Jedi Academy\GameData", but should avoided until you know what you're doing.
Also you should make sure access rights for writing are enabled for "Jedi Academy\GameData\MBII", and no files inside that folder are read only.

MBII Client uses Windows temp folder and different names for files.

More info:
Hosting Server - Start three servers on one host machine
Okay, so. Deleting that file that you told me to delete seems to work, but only temporarily. After a few launches and closes it seems to corrupts itself or something and I need to delete it. now, this wouldn't be such a problem if it didn't make me re-make all of my character skill profiles over again. Not sure why, but the custom slot in the creator doesn't give you the full skill points right away, making me kill myself via console over and over. Each time I do that, it gives me the skills gradually. This seems to be an effective temporary fix, but i'd rather not continue playing at such a tedious method.

Edit: Never mind. That only seems to be a minor bug when launching a local training game. I would, however, like a permanent fix if there is one possible for the file so i don't have to delete it every time.
I believe I have found the true culprit to the problem. It didn't seem to be the skinpack at all. it was, however, a new software that was installed on my computer from Raptr that created this new game recording software. For some reason, that seems to crash my Jedi Academy.
Yes, it looks like an errors were caused by third-party software. I would say antivirus, but it could be recording software, too.

No problem at all!

I agree, I think it was the recording software that was causing the real problem. It seems to work fine now that I just eliminate it from my task manager processes every time I want to play.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Still, though. The launcher still gives me an error when trying to launch from it and not Jedi Academy. is this a bug that just needs patching?
Make sure you've closed Steam, MBII and JA before running Launcher.
Running Steam version of game involves renaming of files jamp.exe and jasp.exe by Steam or by MBII Launcher. If those files are locked, an error occurs.
Launcher - help with MB2 launcher

If that won't help, post what exactly error is.

Last edited: