Why does everyone hate snipers?

What do you think of snipers?

• Total voters
I understand, snipers are snipers and they don't require much skill, but why so much hate?

Probably 5% of my deaths are from snipers and when I die from one Idgaf because that's part of the game.
I don't know if I am the only one but I literally die from snipers probably once every 15 rounds. Can someone affirm that it's just me?

I don't see much of a problem with snipers.
"I always get sniped when I'm dueling saberists" Don't stand in the open where you can get shot at any time. Go on duels.
"Snipers 1 shot everyone" Well yeah. No one would play sniper if it didn't one shot people.
"Snipers too op" How so? They may be hard to get to and take out, but they aren't invincible. Just like dekas, there's always a counter.
"Snipers don't require skill" Okay? Half of the gunner classes don't require skill. Why not hate on deka, or sbd? or mandos?
"Snipers need a nerf" Why? And if so, how would you nerf them? A damage reduction would turn it so useless. How tf are snipers gonna snipe someone TWICE?

Maybe I'm being naive. Sure snipers are annoying but tbh snipers are the bottom of my list of problems with mb2.
Fix flinch, change saberists, change force powers like push spam or lightning. Fix saber STYLES.

Well if we had respawn i wouldnt care about them that much.
But in a game like this where most classes are 1 live classes, its just wrong.
Snipers should have less hp and armor, maybe it should be its own class, because with all the hero and bh skills they really to op.

I think it is time you stop listening to players on open if that has led you to the belief that using a sniper does not require skill.

There is not really much of a problem with snipers in the game. What is more likely the case is that the people who complain about snipers are the same people trying to out-aim a highly accurate fast projectile down a long and narrow corridor. These will be the same people who run through the centre of the door rather than waiting at the side of it and peaking in 3p. These will also be the same people who run in a straight line in an open area rather than taking a tortuous path. These are the same people who will go main when there are fifty snipers rather than taking side routes where the distance between the sniper and you is much shorter, and cover is more plentiful.

What makes you think people 'hate' snipers?
I'm guessing your quotes are directly from ingame chat, which you shouldn't take at face value. Some people give troll opinions, some just can't handle the frustration of beeing killed and blame it on anything and some might give their real opinion, but without enough context it's not worth much.

And when people on this board talk about making certain balance changes it's [mostly =)] not out of hate. In a game with so many gameplay features as MB2 it's just natural that people have different opinions based on their unique experience with the game (especially in open mode with more than 12 players).
What i'd like to see less in the forum is when people make small changes look like its the end of the world, basically the other side of the spectrum from your experience.

I did open a feedback thread about changing sniping if you are interested tho (which would be a sniping nerf in open mode but also could make offensive sniping stronger than pop-up sniping):
Revamping the way of sniping

edit: didn't notice that you already posted there, so maybe i need to go on record and say: "No, i don't hate snipers" :p

Last edited:
Yes its... Very.. hard to play... ... Hero/Bh... ...... ...........:rolleyes:..

Its much harder to shine as a soldier without being a nade whore in all honesty...

If that wasnt the case then the class would be far more popular, but the game is promoting the use of some class over some others, as a result 85% of players pick whats trully meta, then Soldiers/Commanders[Free Meat] are put aside because its just not really worth it compared to whats avalable beside these two.

Last edited:
Yes its... Very.. hard to play... ... Hero/Bh... ...... ...........:rolleyes:..

Its much harder to shine as a soldier
without being a nade whore in all honesty...

If that wasnt the case then the class would be far more popular, but the game is promoting the use of some
class over some others, as a result 85%
of players pick whats trully meta, then Soldiers/Commanders[Free Meat] are put aside because its just not really
worth it compared to whats avalable beside these two.
I'll pick commander on imps over Bh any day tbh, saying a dude with t-21 is free meat is stupid. Also a soldier has more chances (commander too) has more chances to kill if they make a fatal mistake. So they do have a bit more breathing room. I tbh, don't think it's meta, just if you want to get the job done real quick, hero/Bh is a better pick.
Most people probably pick other classes cause A: they're cooler and B: different uses C: variety D: soldier and commander are good and all, but I'd prefer to take a class to kill off the zomb- jedi hordes. That's just Imo.

I'll pick commander on imps over Bh any day tbh, saying a dude with t-21 is free meat is stupid. Also a soldier has more chances (commander too) has more chances to kill if they make a fatal mistake. So they do have a bit more breathing room. I tbh, don't think it's meta, just if you want to get the job done real quick, hero/Bh is a better pick.
Most people probably pick other classes cause A: they're cooler and B: different uses C: variety D: soldier and commander are good and all, but I'd prefer to take a class to kill off the zomb- jedi hordes. That's just Imo.

Yeasshh.. but what about Rebs Commander? I can understand Imp side for T-21 but thats pretty much all about it.

Also you kinda prove my point, saying that these make the job real quicker is another way to say they are simply beter overall... Most people will go for it, making it more... ''Meta''.

Also not saying and never said that you cant make the job done with Soldiers/Commanders, but that its obviously a tend more painful to accomplish then if you would pick.. huh, mostly any others.

There's some super Commanders players tho not gonna deny it! But it represent about 5% of total players for the many reasons i've said.

Chances are if you can manage to shine as a Commander/Soldiers, you could actully shine even brighter if you would pick any others Blasters Using Class.

Last edited:
ET is objectively the best gunner vs gunner class with its dodge trades. It is laughable to suggest that a grenade build on soldier is the most optimal.

:rolleyes:...For a class that is soo.. OOO.. soo good... It aint much played in comparison to the others.

Anyway... This thread was about snipers, which are also the ones top score boarding the matchs most times.

Last edited:
What makes you think people 'hate' snipers?
I'm guessing your quotes are directly from ingame chat, which you shouldn't take at face value. Some people give troll opinions, some just can't handle the frustration of beeing killed and blame it on anything and some might give their real opinion, but without enough context it's not worth much.

And when people on this board talk about making certain balance changes it's [mostly =)] not out of hate. In a game with so many gameplay features as MB2 it's just natural that people have different opinions based on their unique experience with the game (especially in open mode with more than 12 players).
What i'd like to see less in the forum is when people make small changes look like its the end of the world, basically the other side of the spectrum from your experience.

I did open a feedback thread about changing sniping if you are interested tho (which would be a sniping nerf in open mode but also could make offensive sniping stronger than pop-up sniping):
Revamping the way of sniping

edit: didn't notice that you already posted there, so maybe i need to go on record and say: "No, i don't hate snipers" :p
Thanks for your input and opinion!
I usually see about half the people in-game and a few people on the forums complain, so I'm just curious what others think.

I think it is time you stop listening to players on open if that has led you to the belief that using a sniper does not require skill.

I fully support that snipers require skill, and I do not let open chat change my views of snipers, I just notice a LOT more complaining about snipers since 1.3

Yeah, I'm not one to be all "WAHHH WAHH I DIED FROM A SNIPER! THAT REQUIRES NO SKILL!" But to be honest, it depends.

I main BH/HERO and I am extremely skillful with a proj rifle as I know how to pick off people and use opportunities to my advantage, so I use the proj in a way that actually requires skill, I get aggressive, push up, and know when to pull out a proj to pick off a soldier or some pesky guy that is picking some health off me.
ON THE OTHER HAND,
There are the players who sit behind their team, wait until some soldiers get pushed, or a jedi in a duel to get knocked down, then they just aim, fire, and kill which pretty much only requires you to not suck ass at the game. To me, if I was the one who got sniped, that's a frustrating death and I feel I haven't gotten a chance to be able to play.

DeshieL

Donator
if I was the one who got sniped, that's a frustrating death and I feel I haven't gotten a chance to be able to play.
Then instead of crying about geting sniped while pushed or knocked down, you should make sure that you avoid being knocked or pushed down.

I main BH/HERO and I am extremely skillful with a proj rifle as I know how to pick off people and use opportunities to my advantage, so I use the proj in a way that actually requires skill
Can you stop it with the self-appreciation lmao. I feel like you created this thread just to tell everyone how great of a sniper you are.

Honestly I dislike dekas far more, because they can outmanoeuvre anything , dish out damage like nothing else and you can empty a full clip of e11 in them and their shield will still be fine. As a non jedi without cover and on your own, you're done. The maps are made for dekas to just shut down hallways.

Helix

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Who hates snipers? I love snipers. They overestimate their chances against a lightsaber and give me free kills regulary > :]

Snipers are fine because most of the maps allow us to circumvent them easily, same goes for dekas. If the map doesn't, then it's a problem with the map layout. I don't think dekas are any worse, a sniper and a destroyer has the same firepower except one is much more mobile and has more tools agaisn't a jedi or sith (shield discharge is a joke).
If you're a 1 life class don't go out of your way to kill the sniper at the other side of the hangar, same thing agaisn't a deka.

I also agree with Lyrion that ET/COs are not really good in comparison. They could have cheaper tools to make them worthwhile, like toggleable free rally or cheaper grenades. T21 is great and all but it doesn't mean you shouldn't have any points left to buy any grenades afterward.
Sonic detonator is so much stronger than the fire grenade, it makes no sense for the fire grenade to cost 15 points.
A Hero can buy a proj rifle, quick throw, grenades, pistol 3 and still have some points.
tl;dr: if you get killed by a sniper it's your fault.

Last edited:
Half of the gunner classes don't require skill. Why not hate on deka, or sbd?

I mean, if you set up in the wrong spot as Deka you are dead, if someone throws a nade at you, you will kill your friend in cover.

SBD, while not needing much skill does take more skill than pointing and clicking, mainly because every class can counter it. Soldiers throw nades, ETs dodge and shoot, Jedi hit the crouch button, ARC have Ion nades Clones have Ion Blobs, and Heros have dodge AND dash to use. The only class that can have a bit of a challenge is wookiee, if the SBD knows how to crouch, and he gets in a corner the SBD will likely win.

But anyway the reason that people don't like snipers? Kinda easy mode. Point stand still click move. The only thing you need to know is don't shoot jedi if they are standing, cause Deflect 3 Snipes are the worst. Dodge and dash let Hero survive in times where they have over extended, or are too far back, and got flanked. BH is a little bit better because BH does not have Dodge, meaning you still have to move out of the way of gun shots. Not having Dash is fine because you have gunkicks, and you can land one of those, and shoot the Jedi that tried to kill you.

Most importantly

Snipers Are Gay

Snipers and Jedi are the two hallmark "dope ass veteran" classes. If you play the game for 10+ years, you generally gravitate to one or the other.

That should tell you something about why people hate snipers.

Snipers and Jedi are the two hallmark "dope ass veteran" classes. If you play the game for 10+ years, you generally gravitate to one or the other.

That should tell you something about why people hate snipers.
Well they are the meta classes, anyone who think otherwise is delusional.
Even as an ET player, whenever I'm playing BH/Hero I lead the scoreboard no sweat.

Last edited: