Why aren’t there more models in game?

I’ve been wondering for a while and I have few question about player models:

Is there a limit to the number of skins that can be implemented in game? I’d assume there is, based on existence of replacement mods. What is exact technical reason for this limitation? In my opinion variety of playable characters is one of the best selling point of MB2, but it could improved greatly and that should be high priority for dev team. Why wasn’t that limitation removed to this day? And why Peneke’s pack is not part of main release?

Defiant

Nerd
Project Leader
Movie Battles II Team
Code Leader
Basically, because models are assigned to be used with only a specific class and so you cant just add client side models you can only override them. I'm not aware of any hard limit that means we cant add more but, more models is more loading time, bigger memory footprint and generally reduced performance. There are always new and updated models being added, but it is time consuming to make them.

Is there a limit to the number of skins that can be implemented in game? I’d assume there is, based on existence of
replacement mods. What is exact technical reason for this limitation? In my opinion variety of playable
characters is one of the best selling point of MB2, but it could improved greatly and that should be high priority
for dev team. Why wasn’t that limitation removed to this day? And why Peneke’s pack is not part of main release?
Afaik not everyone likes peneke, and some like the base skins. Peneke is easily installed, and there for someone who wants different stuff. Tbh I like it being separate, makes it special :>
Also, I don't think adding Moar Kool skins should be a priority, they're fine where it's at, especially since non devs can just make their own skins.would you rather have the next gameplay update in a week, or the next skin update only where we get 50 new models. I'd take game play P:

Thanks for answers.
more models is more loading time, bigger memory footprint and generally reduced performance
What do you mean by that? There are only 32 player models needed at any given time. Or are they ALL loaded into memory regardless of being used? If so - did anyone thought about rewriting that part of the engine to dynamically load and drop models to/from memory? How would you estimate difficulty of that task given your knowledge about the engine?

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Not everything is always loaded but some things are. The reason you have a really noticeable lagspike at roundstart is it loading those new models for that round. However, other things like Shader files for example are always loaded. Even for maps. If you are on DOTF, you have shaders loaded for every other map and asset we have.

Many of the skins in the JKA community are not really optimized either. Some require way more textures that needed, more draw calls than needed, too high of poly counts due to bad ports, and no level of detail models (So you see full detail even if its 10 pixels on your screen). And even if performance wise it is alright, it might have badly welded vertices (visible holes during movement), bad weighing that makes it look horrible outside of screenshots. We have to be really choosy with what we add.

Not everything is always loaded but some things are. The reason you have a really noticeable lagspike at roundstart is it loading those new models for that round. However, other things like Shader files for example are always loaded. Even for maps. If you are on DOTF, you have shaders loaded for every other map and asset we have.

Many of the skins in the JKA community are not really optimized either. Some require way more textures that needed, more draw calls than needed, too high of poly counts due to bad ports, and no level of detail models (So you see full detail even if its 10 pixels on your screen). And even if performance wise it is alright, it might have badly welded vertices (visible holes during movement), bad weighing that makes it look horrible outside of screenshots. We have to be really choosy with what we add.
Then why do we have crappy models like Walrus man? P.S. I love the walrus man model.

the only thing i really want added model wise would be an integration of Spanki's Jedi/Sith customization

i've made a clan pack which replaces most jedi models with models from this pack but it's sad not to be able to have both simultaneously

afaik the shaders on this pack are a one file fits all type of deal so i can't imagine that causing any problems but there are obviously hundreds of textures

Is there a limit to the number of skins that can be implemented in game? I’d assume there is, based on existence of replacement mods. What is exact technical reason for this limitation? In my opinion variety of playable characters is one of the best selling point of MB2, but it could improved greatly and that should be high priority for dev team. Why wasn’t that limitation removed to this day? And why Peneke’s pack is not part of main release?
Because it's a pain in the dick to rig models and set up custom voice lines and sounds for them all?

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Because it's a pain in the dick to rig models and set up custom voice lines and sounds for them all?
Are you massposting to get your post count above 20 so you can apply as Beta Tester?

Cuz I have it direct from Defiant himself (iirc) that that post requirement is actually not applicable anymore.