Westar pistol charge shot lost after using flame thrower

Discussion in 'Bug Tracker' started by Jeob, Aug 11, 2018.

1. Jeob

Jeob

• Summary of the bug: So this bug has been around for a year at least, decided to post it. When charging a shot with westars if you use flame thrower, after that you lose the charge, whereas you used to be able to fire the charge shot right after you stopped using flame thrower.
    • Steps to duplicating the bug: 1. start charging westar pistols
    2. use flame thrower
    3. after you release class special 2, try to release the charge shot and you will see that the charge was just lost, if you keep holding alt fire, you will start charging a new charge shot instead of holding the charge you started charging before flaming

For reference to see how it should work, do the westar charge interrupted by launching a rocket, you'll see how smooth it is.
    1. start charging pistols
    2. fire rocket
    3. release charge (notice you can release it any time, even during the rocket launch animation, you don't even need to recover from that)

Also I'll name some other small bugs which are on my mind at the moment.
    • Pistol 2 charge shoot drains too much ammo. A full charge takes 28 ammo, and it should only take 4 (well used to take that much years ago).
    • Wallhacks in FA are broken: you can see your allies through the walls, but not the enemies, and when the enemies are in your sight, they glow yellowish instead of red. An example is um_lavaparty TECH class.

2. Tylenol

Tylenol

Not really a bug AFAIK since using flamethrower basically registers as changing weapons. If it used to work like that then it means it got changed and fixed

3. Jeob

Jeob

It's a shame if that's how it's intended. I checked the 1.4-1.5 patch release threads, nothing is mentioned about westars in those, so this was either a ninja change or unintended side effect of another change.
    Only in 1.4 we have:
    • Change: Wrist Blaster no longer has an initial delay before firing. Reduced ammo before overload from 5 to 3 and decreased its regeneration rate from 1 ammo per 3 seconds to 1 ammo per 5 seconds.
    Maybe this caused the change for holding charge. Anyway I forgot to say that wrist blaster resets your charge too, while you could fire wrist shots during your westar charge before. Here's an example @0:53:

(it's not that easy to see, but there's a wrist shot fired before the full charge is released [this isn't possible anymore, this clip is from 1.3 I guess])

Since there's nothing in the change log regarding the charge loss, I'm not convinced that it's not a bug. Also while you're flaming, you can still visually see the charge of your pistol, only for it to disappear when you stop flaming, it doesn't look like something that's intended. You should lose the westar charge at the moment when you start using flame thrower, that would indicate that you can't charge with flame thrower.

Anyway the devs will decide whether it's a bug or not. Imo westars should be able to hold charge both with flame thrower and wrist shots, even then ee3 would still outclass westars by a lot.

KaniganTheMando likes this.
  4. Defiant

Defiant Project Leader Movie Battles II Team Code Leader

It was a bug that it wasn't cleared. Working as intended now.

5. Lessen

Lessen Childpuncher Movie Battles II Team

Then, in my opinion, the charge should auto-fire when you start using the flamethrower, since that'll make it absolutely clear to the players that they can't charge while flaming. Or we should at least make it so the weapons don't show a charge visual while flamethrower is active, and don't charge at all. So the previous charge would just be killed and not restarted.

Random aside: The way that the wrist blaster used to have a delay between click and fire probably made it more reliable to use in a way, because it put your left arm in a more consistent position before the shot was fired (from your left hand's position). Whereas right now the shot comes from wherever your left hand happens to be at the time. That's just a bit of trivia, I need to push for my dumbed-down version of Wrist Blaster aim mechanics to get tested/patched-in already.

but first I need to add that little "warning beep" noise after the second-to-last-shot is fired, and recharge-beeps, cuz those'll also make Wrist Blaster way more usable without just removing the "overload the weapon to fire one extra shot" mechanic which I think is kind of cool

Last edited: Aug 28, 2018
  6. Defiant

Defiant Project Leader Movie Battles II Team Code Leader

No. If you made a mistake and charged your pistols and the decided you needed to use flamethrower you don't get to discharge them for free.

If you mean that the weapon shows the charged effect whilst the flamethrower is going, and then just disappears once flamethrower is turned off then what you say is correct. The charge should stop drawing when the flamethrower is used.