The Next Big Step for MBII

Hello! You may remember me as "the troll" or "get fucked, kid"

However I'm just a normal person that likes the duel mode on this video game. Anyways, I have a suggestion thats open to feedback. This idea will revolutionize MBII in a way every single other game has done, excluding certain franchises.

Make the game bearable for new players.

This community is still the most toxic community I've seen throughout my days of playing any video game ever. This community may one day be great if measures are taken to reduce toxicity. This includes:
  • Better TK prevention system
  • Better class balance
  • Tutorial mode for beginners
  • Consistent gameplay
You can thank me later.

All of these are extremely vague and unhelpful to devs, it's better to be more specific. What classes in specific need balancing, go into detail about what consistent gameplay looks like to you as a player, etc. Also, tutorials are going to be implemented in future updates to come from what I've seen. (TK's are a thing for obvious reasons that have been stated hundreds of times, so I won't bother.)

Gargos

Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Funny thing is that the community is the reason I still play this game. If this worked like match making and I always faced players that I had nevet met before, I would have quit long ago.

Realized this with team fortress 2. I found a Finnish server with great community and played there a lot. Once the community kinda died out, I couldn't bother with the game anymore. Of course gameplay is very important too, but cant forget the importance of friendly faces

cant forget the importance of friendly faces
2GyH4.jpg

• Better class balance

I think that lightsaber classes are more OP than regular classes with normal guns. It's almost impossible to kill a Jedi-Sith 1х1 or even >=2x1, if you don't have weapon that does splash damage (nades) or you are not wookie, droideka, etc. That's why the most of players choose lightsaber classes and this sucks so bad. Interesting that some class abilities like force lighting are useless and just a waste of skill points. The balance in general is not bad but it needs a bit of rework.

Last edited:

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
TBH It sounds like "hey guys, we have changed the menus!!!". The game code has not been merged to the latest version of openjk for YEARS... and it's not done yet.
Nobody is stopping you from using stock, latest OpenJK as a client for Movie Battles instead of MBII Client.
It worked for me last time I checked it, at least.

Nobody is stopping you from using stock, latest OpenJK as a client for Movie Battles instead of MBII Client.
It worked for me last time I checked it, at least.

If you build openjk client directly from github, it won't work because game API has changed and MBII api is VERY old.

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
If you build openjk client directly from github, it won't work because game API has changed and MBII api is VERY old.

Then they did something wrong on their end. THEY are the ones that aren't supposed to break compatibility with mods built off of the SDK. We don't do anything special on our end except disable some modifications we made to the engine.

Puppytine

Slayed dreamer
Works for me.

I took latest Windows build from here: index · powered by h5ai 0.26.1 (http://larsjung.de/h5ai/)
I had to patch it for Windows XP, but no rocket science here -- thank god, they don't actually use any functions that were introduced since Vista or above.
Protip: remove "rd-vanilla-mbii_x86.dll" from your "Jedi Academy\GameData" folder.

btw, MBII team can't link to anything that were introduced in OpenJK because of legal issues. That would violate GPL, since OpenJK is GPled and Movie Battles is proprietary.
The only thing that makes MBII and OJK a little bit compatible is old, JAMP API, but that's it. Even dynamic linking via any new functions, new data structures, new constants, or new variables would be illegal -- a friendly reminder, GPL covers plug-ins, GPL covers dynamic linking in the very same way it covers static linking.
Frequently Asked Questions about the GNU GPL v2.0 - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation

46fbcf593717.png

Last edited: