Super Saber Suggestion

Mario.png

Don't mean to take advantage of the downtime of '15, but I'm glad to be the first to poster of a game suggestion.

Got this idea rollin' around in my head but hear it goes. What if when blocking attacks with a saber, it generates a sorta "knockback" relative to the ratio of friend/enemies surrounding the defender within a given radius.

So if one guy is surrounded by two people who are nearby, within this radius, then every hit the defender blocks, causes the attackers sabers to "bounce" stopping comboing. If the defender is instead surrounded by three people, then the knockback is a lil' bigger, preventing lots of attacking attacking at once. If the defender is surrounded by four people or more, the knockback is maxed out, causing attackers to stumble.

So basically 1/2, 1/3, and 1/4 and beyond, there are three levels of this effect.

So let do some mathematics. If its two defenders within each others radius, and two attackers, then 2/2 = 1 = no effect. If its two defenders against six attackers, then 2/6 = 1/3 = medium knockback, if its two defenders versus eight attackers, then 2/8 = 1/4 = maximum knockback... and so on.

The reason? To make it like the movies with one Sith/Jedi fighting multiple guys. Basically its like playing Super Smash Bros on handicap, except the handicap adjusts as the round progresses to empower the losing guy for one final stand.

And this would be available to those who buy Saber Defense 3.

It's always good to see people expressing their opinions and ideas. Though personally, I would have to say I don't like this idea at all. I think it is too drastic of a change for open mode after all of these years and a bad change at that. I don't really see any need to waste time coding something like this into the game nor do I see any benefits to gameplay. I don't mean to be discouraging either, continue to throw your ideas out there if you've got em.

Last edited:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I don't follow the rationale. If you have put yourself in a position to be surrounded by the enemy team, why should you be rewarded with an easier defense? You should get destroyed 4v1, not somehow gain super defensive power. In the same vein, if you are the last man standing we shouldn't be adding mechanics that make it easier to draw out the round.

The movies also do not depict hugely asymmetrical lightsaber fights with the exception of Palpatine vs. Mace and company. Not something I would want to balance around. For an example of what it would feel like, play mb2_duel_office on FA.

Reactions: Zed
It's alwyays good to see people expressing their opinions and ideas. Though personally, I would have to say I don't like this idea at all. I think it is too drastic of a change for open mode after all of these years and a bad change at that. I don't really see any need to waste time coding something like this into the game nor do I see any benefits to gameplay. I don't mean to be discouraging either, continue to throw your ideas out there if you've got em.
I don't follow the rationale. If you have put yourself in a position to be surrounded by the enemy team, why should you be rewarded with an easier defense? You should get destroyed 4v1, not somehow gain super defensive power. In the same vein, if you are the last man standing we shouldn't be adding mechanics that make it easier to draw out the round.

The movies also do not depict hugely asymmetrical lightsaber fights with the exception of Palpatine vs. Mace and company. Not something I would want to balance around. For an example of what it would feel like, play mb2_duel_office on FA.
I believe I can explain.

Used to roleplay on Lugormod back in the day - and man, if I could turn back the clocks to 2003, take MB2 and mod it for a year to be an RP mod, than I would totally put this idea in on it. It awesome to have a hard to defeat type of, Sith even with a small army, not just in RP but in actuality in terms of the mechanics. Sort of gives a person the chance to be a "boss fight".

So it may not be good for Open mode but I'd love to see the Devs play around with it and maybe throw it into the Chancellors Office duel or something :) Just have it the back pocket for source code purposes.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
This would be beneficial to the person with the handicap, however that wouldn't really make sense in the grand scheme of things. You shouldn't be rewarded for being outnumbered.

I'd rather have a manual ability that you control, like disarm, that consumes bp to do a large sweeping attack that can knock back multiple opponents and maybe even knock their sabers out of their hands if their bp is insufficient.

Think, I'm a barbarian and you're all puny midgets.:)

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
Recently, I've played a 4v1 duel in Dotf hangar open mode before and managed to kill 3, woulda killed the last one if not for a stupid mistake. And won a 3v1 (2 jedis 1 hero sniper) in generator room. So winning in these situations without some weird mechanic is doable.

Imo, the idea is not needed and makes no sense. You need to outskill the people you're fighting. If you fight 2 ppl almost as good as yourself you should lose or keep running away until u can get help or trick/mblock into a 1v1, you shouldn't get some button u can press for insta win or some mechanic that'll make your life easier other than things that make sense gameplay wise. Things like Mblock, Duals stab, Red stagger, force powers, Staff's increased block arc... small perks like that, not some massive gamebreaking thing.

So if we want to make it easier to fight vs multiple lesser skilled opponents then we need to invent another perk like the ones I mentioned above, smaller in scope. I'm not sure what that could be, or if it is even needed.

Charged swings that stagger. You realize the entire system is weird looking mechanics.

Tend to stand out when you think about it and they dont make sense.

SeV

Nerd
Internal Beta Team
But it works. Inventing a wonky mechanic for the purpose of ez 2v1'ing is not the way to go. That's just retardedly lowering the skillcap of the game.

Also, all of the mechanics and perks etc, have already been tried and tested over time. I'm not saying these attacks are perfect, I for one still don't like dual stab dmg/ACM gain, imo it should primarily be a knockback/counter to parry certain other special attacks, but I digress. I'm just saying if we want to change something we should go about it reasonably and respect teh established order of the system so that it doesn't break the balance.

Charged swing...that sounds interesting.
If it would drain lot of fp and bp for use, making it really risky (after missed attack ur defence decreases by 1 lvl? xD) move but rewarding ( knockdown, disabling&knockbacking?)

But it works. Inventing a wonky mechanic for the purpose of ez 2v1'ing is not the way to go. That's just retardedly lowering the skillcap of the game.

Also, all of the mechanics and perks etc, have already been tried and tested over time. I'm not saying these attacks are perfect, I for one still don't like dual stab dmg/ACM gain, imo it should primarily be a knockback/counter to parry certain other special attacks, but I digress. I'm just saying if we want to change something we should go about it reasonably and respect teh established order of the system so that it doesn't break the balance.

That's almost funny. :)

Years ago when they increased the run drains I called that lowering the skillcap. It just rewarded players that grouped together and spammed.
I guess those are your 2, 3, 4, 31 on Ones:) Skillz.

You know what else? When they put in slap I was disgusted.
It was delaying the inevitable, a cheap escape, a waste of time and an insult that besmirched the purity of sabers! For the Saberland!!

Even now I wonder why such an effective tactic, one that in reality to accomplish, would take a large amount of strength, costs Zero Bp/Strength to use.
Slap should cost a good chunk! Calling it slap...as if some lady slap would ever knock a man on his ass to the ground. Comic book violence, yay!
More effective than blocking, more useful at times than swinging and yet still so....petunia. It's petunia.
Really, the animations and impact sounds are still not believable or satisfying. Even Bruce Lee karate chopping 20 black clad Asians is more believable.

Let me tell you a story young urchin,

Long ago, in the days of my youth, before the Carpal Tunnel got me and the ennui of Yellow disenchanted, I was an avid saber fanatic. I loved throwing myself into groups of jedi and relying on nothing more than my saber and awesomeness. I was more than just a little crazy. There was one time, where almost as if I was in a waking dream, in control of everything laid before me, where I found myself facing an entire team of sith alone...and bested them alone. This wasn't some honor duel, just some hopped up monkey's all trying to attack me all at once. 8 or 9 in Lunarbase hanger. I danced on and off those boxes with the quickness of a jackrabbit and the strength of a mountain gorilla. Always 3 lapping at my front and sides even as the rest circled for my back. Really, it felt like I was a wounded lion surrounded by hyenas. But the joke was on them. For I prevailed! Through tk, mis-step and design, one by one they died until...there was one, for there can only be one!

Brings a tear to mine eye in remembrance. God, those nooby bastards. I miss them.

Anyway, the point was, numbers didnt matter so much as your ability with the saber. These days, the odds are against you for no real reason other than theres more of them to spam you. Run drains, the crappy camera pb, really great for 1 on 1s but hardly useful against groups. The odds are already stacked against you, putting in mechanics that cripple you further is/was asinine. I can tell the obvious influence of honor duelists. Just doesnt work well in the actual mainstay of the mod:)

Oh and...We already have charged swings. They're called dfas:) Great for crowd control and handling multiple opponents.

The rain is cold.

We needs to bring back the Favorite MB Memories thread:)