Suggestion for the Arc's rifle, the M5

So I've been trying to explore the ARC's M5 rifle a bit over the course of this week.
And I've come to find out that its actually quite good, I do believe that there are some problems that need to be adressed:

1) The clip you have is way too small for what the gun actually provides in damage.

Changing it to 50 shots instead of around 35 would be preferable, why you ask? It shoots straight at all times (if upgraded), it's like a pistol 3 repeater, this point will be further adressed in bullet point 3. With that being said, in fire fights, you run out of ammo way too fast, it has a fast reload animation, but reload means death versus the one hit kill e-11 now.

2) The ammo pool should be atleast 600 instead of 480.

Although I'm hearing you on your side of the monitor that this would be insane with people playing M5 and Pistols and that they would have too much ammo, well no, because I'm playing Westars and EE3 on Mandalorian and I have 700 ammo for the westars and 600 for my EE3, why should M5 be weaker, and don't give me that bullshit of it being OP due to more snipe shots being able to be fired. Equal rights for Clowns & Arx.

3) There should be a toggle for the upgraded Westar M5 or even the standard M5.
So as I've said in point one, it always shoots straight if you buy the upgrade, that means even if you're running; it's truly a pistol 3 repeater. But this upgrade is also the downgrade in some cases.

"Wait are you on crack?"

Now now hear me out for a while here. Always shooting straight is really hard in a fight where you're constantly being knocked back by gunfire, imagine you're really close to a sick motherfucker soldier who's dodging your shit like he's Neo from the matrix, you'd want some kind of cone fire right?
I mean sometimes I just like to spray®.
Well you can't. You're stuck with that straight shooting all the way through.

So here's a thought: Let us choose wether to spray & pray or actually be good at videogames by giving us a toggle. What should this toggle do then?

M5 without upgrades:

• Allow for scoping without using snipe shot ammo, just primary fire
M5 with upgrades:
  • Allow for scoping without using snipe shot ammo, just primary fire
  • Allow us to shoot straight or spray & pray while not scoped
The way the toggle should work is it changes the way the weapon fires, as to provide some kind of balance, using the toggle to spray should render you unable to do close quarter snipe shots to prevent rekking sith after you've just sprayed them to 1 hp and using that final snipe shot to penetrate their 23 force they've gathered, unless you're proficient enough to change modes after firing, which is fine since, you know, it actually requires a button press command rather than just scoping.

There, I hope that's clear enough on my part and I'd love to hear the communities thoughts on this.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
I agree with a lot of your points. I'd like to see the following:

1) Increase clip size by 10-15, from 30 shots to 40-45.

2) I disagree, I'd like to see more guns have LESS maximum ammo and be comparable to the Westar M5, too many guns can just shoot forever and not even worry about purchasing ammo.

3) The toggle makes sense, sometimes its just nice to spray - An upgrade should always have best of both worlds, I like it!

Last edited:
its actually quite good
couldn't agree more
about changes:
1. disagree. imo it's perfectly balanced as is, you can always reload mid-air
2. agree. dunno about current pool, didn't run out of tibana yet; would like buying ammo3 being more beneficial
3. i predict it would be too much effort to code and not many players would use it anyway

about shooting primary scoped - good idea m8

Id rather like to see less snipes in a row while sniping but slighly more dmg
1. Hex numbers seems allright
2. I think its fine.
3. Sounds like good feature, spray and pray !

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Movie Battles II Team Retired
1. I think the ammo per clip is fine. If anything I'd like to see ammo regenerate progressively after you reload, not all in one go.
2. Only if the ammo consumption for the sniper is increased to compensate. It's already a powerful weapon, no need to straight up buff that which was already buffed a great deal in the last patch.
3. I don't think this is really necessary.

I lack practical experience regarding points 1) and 2), but 3) would be a good addition.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
As an avid M5 user, I would support increasing maximum ammo capacity very marginally for both Ammo 2 and 3, but not drastically. The clipsize could use a small boost of 10 rounds or so. The sniper shots using the same ammo pool makes it somewhat tricky though.

Adjusting the accuracy doesn't sound too crucial. I think it's something everyone can choose for themselves right now. Level 2 only grants permanent accuracy. It is otherwise the same weapon. So everyone has the power to choose the type of playstyle they want to go for. I personally skip the Level 2 as it's ammo I could use for spray.

It is worth noting that you get the accurate snipe bonus even if you only invest in M5 lvl1, Scope and Dex 3 ;)

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Don't get me wrong, changes are all well and good, but the M5 is a damn strong weapon already.

Don't get me wrong, changes are all well and good, but the M5 is a damn strong weapon already.

It's highly catered at high skill cap. The damage buff on the primary was unneeded this past build; call me crazy, I truly mean that. I do think I should be able to choose wether or not to spray or shoot straight if I'm going to be paying those 6 points. It's like, herp derp, I'll use pistol 3 but instead switch to pistol 1 mode.

I'd say I would be perfectly fine with rolling back the damage and just implementing more ammo drain on the snipe mode.

(with some of the changes I mentioned attached ofcourse)

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
In my opinion, most people aren't going to need a 600 ammo pool. I find going with ammo 2 or even 1 is enough in open. As for "magazine size" I agree it always depletes when you need it most; but it is a really great weapon as is.

I agree with Supa and Noob on this one. The clip size could be increased slightly because it does seem to run out rather fast but it is definitely an underrated weapon. I wouldn't go messing with it too much, I think it is in a pretty good place atm

It's highly catered at high skill cap. The damage buff on the primary was unneeded this past build; call me crazy, I truly mean that. I do think I should be able to choose wether or not to spray or shoot straight if I'm going to be paying those 6 points. It's like, herp derp, I'll use pistol 3 but instead switch to pistol 1 mode.

I'd say I would be perfectly fine with rolling back the damage and just implementing more ammo drain on the snipe mode.

(with some of the changes I mentioned attached ofcourse)
I agree with the japanise dude here.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
That would be good compensation; larger clip, more ammo at level 3 and higher ammo consumption while sniping.

arc problems don't start and end with the rifle, which in and of itself isn't the worst gun in the game (i'd say it's around average), the biggest issue in my mind is that they're very easy to kill despite their decent hp pool. if you think about it, the only classes with good survivability on rebs are soldier, et and to a lesser extent wookiee. the defensive, reinforcement-centered meta really dominates the game right now, arc is the biggest casualty because he's not nearly as effective as his rebel counterparts, hero and wookiee, both of which can do everything the arc can but better (excluding emps of course, but they're not nearly as important as they used to be). there's really no reason to play arc right now, his hp pool isnt that much better than a hero's and a lot worse than a wookiee's, he's weak in nearly all matchups vs imp classes and the utility is not nearly enough to make up for the lack of firepower

to boost their survivability, instead of a flat increase in armour/hp i think it'd be more fun to give arcs regenerating armour. out of combat and didn't use dex moves for 5 seconds -> regen 3 armour every second or something in that area.

if you wanted to make the m5 stronger the best way to do so would probably be to increase the clip size by a lot (at least 45-50 shots) and increasing the fp drain, possibly even the base damage. i wouldn't change the accuracy, i like that it's really the only weapon in the game that really requires you to aim for headshots to get headshots, in an ideal world all weapons would be like that but that's another matter.

Is it me or is the hitbox on the bullets also really small? I feel like I'm shooting wood splinters here.

Supa

The Serial Stacker
Indeed, they do feel a lot smaller than most other weapons in the game. I think the only exception would be pistol 1 and 2, which feel similarly small.

On the subject of arc, I liked it when the arc pistols shots were slower moving than a regular pistol, but a bit stronger than the regular pistol.

Btw, are the arc pistol shots slower than a regular pistol?