suggestion for jetpack kick

I'm relatively new, so let me know if I'm misunderstanding the utility of the jetpack kick. I just personally found it not very useful.

Idea:
1) Make it so jetpack kick flings the victim the same distance as the running kick, instead of just down.

This way the loss of momentum you experience (by being blocked by the knocked down opponent) when successfully jetpack-kicking wouldn't be as punishing, and would give you a bit more time to escape or get your gun out, instead of (in my experience, maybe due to lack of skill) completely stopping you in your tracks and leaving you at the mercy of quickgetup classes.

It'd also look more realistic physics-wise.

2) Add an option to increase the distance you can kick (depending on your current flight momentum) with points.

Besides potentially being super fun, it could give the mando more ways of keeping the enemy team at a distance (like flame in tight corridors) at the risk of getting extremely close to the enemy while unarmed, and make the gadget mando more viable.

Last edited:

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
What if max-speed jetpack kick was an unblockable super-push. WHAT THEN.

slam kick people into walls!

I feel like the potential to give mandos the option to specialize in close-quarters wouldn't be such a bad idea. Obviously it would need to balanced out to keep them from becoming a kind of jack of all trades but I like the overall idea.

Give me my ninja mandos.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I feel like the potential to give mandos the option to specialize in close-quarters wouldn't be such a bad idea. Obviously it would need to balanced out to keep them from becoming a kind of jack of all trades but I like the overall idea.

Give me my ninja mandos.
You can already do some decent Jedi terrorizing by buying flamethrower AND wrist blaster and getting good at switching between them constantly and mixing in jump kicks and leg sweeps. You can fire WB in the middle of any kick but aiming it is wonky at close range because it fires from wherever your left wrist happens to be at that moment.

The objective becomes not to drain FP but to terrorize with free flamethrower damage and then punish/kill with surprise kicks and wrist blasts.

It'd be pretty cool if mandos could do a high risk high reward charge on enemies with their jetpack. Considering you're the noisiest thing in the game besides a Lando squad when you're flying and that it requires you to fly directly towards someone, it should be worth more than knocking a guy down and stopping you on your tracks.

A semi-superpush effect would be neat. Stunning the enemy, not having as much knockback as a superpush, but if you manage to hit them to a wall with the shorter range it should do a lot of damage too. We already have our share of wannabe-MLG styling features in the game so why not let mandos get their share too?

longer kick back when flying as mando yes

super push from it no plz, even as hard as it is to land there is no way to defend against a kick. With repulse/super push you have fb and walking that can save you but you get neither of those for a kick.

DaloLorn

Movie Battles II Team Retired

super push from it no plz, even as hard as it is to land there is no way to defend against a kick. With repulse/super push you have fb and walking that can save you but you get neither of those for a kick.

One could argue that the ability to avoid getting kicked (either by using blasters to slow the Mando down, or by sidestepping out of the way) is already enough of a defense. There's a reason why very few people manage to perform a jetpack kick.

Instead of walking like you would with a forcewhore, you could crouch and then legsweep/saber/shoot the mando?
Besides ofc jumping, moving to the side, force push when they're in-flight, shooting to slow down their flight, performing your own preemptive kick, mind trick, speed lunge, one of those clone nades that disable jetpack, etc.

The same argument could also be applied to flame (and may be rocket), no? It's similarly "unstoppable" if you don't attempt to dodge it or use the force.

Though, I suppose the main difference in practice is you're much more likely to survive a direct hit with flame, right? Since the amount of dmg a super push does is situational tho, it would be impractical (or even impossible depending on the implementation) for mandos to use it in a lot of rooms with nearby walls to use for dmg, since mandos would need to build some jetpack momentum before they kick + the superpush wouldnt work 360 deg. In DOTF main, for example, a mando superpush would probably result in the victim being flung across across the hallway rather than an instakill into a wall, I think?

Last edited:
to implement the super push there would have to be a drastic change in the knock back on the kick, because the damage from a super push is based on the speed at which they hit the wall. This would mean that a mando kick that did that much knock back could essentially knock someone 5 ft back creating many many more ways of kicking people off of things

Anyway, the idea has it's value. Right now jetpack kick is only good for showoff, I would at least wanted it to be a reliable way to kick someone off the tractor beam platforms on deathstar.)