Star Wars Rogue One Official Thread | Discussion | Spoilers

Discussion in 'Offtopic' started by LoU, Sep 6, 2016.

1. Antraxo

Antraxo Contributor

I know .. I loved the movie :) Just wished for it :p

2. Master Butters

Master Butters

Saw the movie yesterday. Fucking great movie. Very few nitpicks about the movie, but they are:

1. When the music was trying to get all nostalgic at times by playing the original songs, but redone slightly. When they were completely original pieces, I thought they were fine.

2. The Imperial pilot defector didn't look like an Imperial at all. Imperials have always looked very clean cut with formal attire and whatnot. This guy had long, greasy hair and a raggedy beard. Looked more like a Rebel, than an Imperial.

3. The sounds of the AT-AT and AT-STs were too weak sounding. In Episode 5, they sounded fucking huge. The blasters were right at the forefront of the sound, so you knew it was dangerous shit. Those sounds in this movie just didn't feel as impactful to me.

I'm sure there was more, but I can't think of it at the moment. At the end of the day though, these were EXTREMELY minor flaws, and I am more than willing to look past them for the movie.

I was extremely happy to see that they didn't make Jyn Erso another Mary Sue type character like Rey. She felt WAY more grounded. I was also happy to see they all died at the end. Not because I wanted them to, but because it served the story well.

The CGI'd faces of Governor Tarkin and Princess Leia at the end were fucking spot on. That stuff usually looks really fake, but it actually took me a couple minutes to figure out Tarkin's face was CGI (Makes sense since the original actor was dead and all).

I'm also extremely happy that my fears about the movie were wrong. Though it's more action packed, I don't think it'll seem out of place if you watch Episode 4 right after.

All in all, I'd say it's a solid 9/10 for me.

3. lessen

lessen Internal Beta Team

this movie annihilated me.

i related really strongly to the Cassian/Jyn couple, and loved both characters. The very quick development of attachment seemed completely reasonable.

Cassian was a much scarier, more intense character than I was expecting, as was Saw Gerrera. I loved that Cassian was a legitimately dark, fucked up character.

there was also this bit of music that seemed like a Rogue One Theme, that kind of expressed a very bright, hopeful noise before suddenly dying out.

that was fitting.

what are the odds of Cassian/Jyn hero models in-game? K2-SO Wookiee model! Commander Krennic!!!

really loved this movie

i have a kind of odd feeling like... I don't want to watch this movie ever again, because it would ruin the punch of the end scenes to get to see them again. It would ruin the deaths to see the characters alive again. It would ruin the horror of Vader's little slaughter scene to get another shot at anticipating it.

I know both of those things were kind of anticipated/predicted, but at the same time i didn't really expect Disney to really do them, so it was an extremely punchy, fantastic movie to me.

the understated/ironic way the first Death Star firing was presented, with the focus on the hologram, was.......................... nuts

Last edited: Dec 19, 2016
  4. Phelps

Phelps Contributor

Just one nitpick about your nitpick. :p

From what I could gather, he was on the run for a longer period of time. It's not like he defected and got to Saw Gerrera in matter of hours, it was probably many days, maybe even weeks. Rumor about him defecting spread, he also pretty much told about DS to everyone he met - that's pretty obvious from Cassian's informer and Tarkin's comments on the matter. I bet he might have shaved one or two times out of sheer habit, but he obviously had no time and space for to look clean and well taken care for. He was also pretty scared for his life and nervous all the time, people tend to forget about looking well, if their life is at stake.

:)

5. DarthDementous

DarthDementous US Official Server Admin

6. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic

Why use spoiler quotes if you spoil the biggest plot points in the main body of your text Butterballs?

But now begs the question, that wriggling worm eating away in your brain, how will Episode 8 measure up, if at all?

7. pelmeņu lauks

pelmeņu lauks

I thought the soundtrack was great. Loved how erratic it was at times, reminded some of the Ennio Morricone's work. Also, the lack of the Force Theme spam every 3 minutes definitely helps it.

8. DaloLorn

DaloLorn Movie Battles II Team

If TFA is any indication... :p

9. DarthDementous

DarthDementous US Official Server Admin

a lot of people say the Hope theme is a rip-off of the Star Wars main theme but I think it's actually quite lovely. it starts off with the same two notes but takes it into a different and more melancholy place that really suits what it's meant to convey. you can see examples of this theme in the opening title (A Long Ride Ahead), latter half of 'Jyn and Hope Suite' and finally 'Rebellions are Built on Hope'.

10. Noob

Noob Contributor

Just saw it.

I loved every bit of it. It doesn't feel like a Star Wars film, and I liked that. No "Space Opera Western" cliche things in it. It could hold it's own if Star Wars didn't exist I think. The only issue is some of the characters name didn't really stick to me like they should.
    For those who've seen it,
    Chirrut Imwe was probably my favorite character. Lot's of kung fu movie vibes from him. He felt grounded along with his Hawaiian protector. He was our only connection to the force and Jedi in the this movie, and he presented it well. His final scene where he prays as Deathtroopers try to shoot him showed his trust in the Force.

Vader was remarkable, he lives up to his name finally in the movies. I'm sad that Vader's Castle at Vjun isn't a thing anymore, but it makes more sense for it to be on Mustafar, and the building itself looked dark and powerful like him. The final scene where he boards the Capital Ship and the look of horror on the rebel soldier made my hairs stand on end.

If I could nitpick anything, it would be the CGI characters. Leia more than Tarkin. Tarkin initially looked very weird in his first scene, but I thought as the film continued he looked a bit more lifelike. Leia on the otherhand was weird and very uncanny valley of the jedi. (lel)

The Death Star almost felt overused I thought, The destruction of Jedda was all that needed to happen imo. Tarkin's decision to destroy Scariff was a blunder. I do not think they should have ended Erso and Andor, they could have been more fleshed out into the universe. (Perhaps in SW:Rebels?)

Other small things I liked was how dark Cassian was, when he shoots his informant before the Imperials can reach them, it left a standing impression on him and pushed thinking on how Rebels aren't all just light hearted blue milk run guys. Same for Saw Gerrara; as annoying I found his voice to be, his radical group of rebels was ingenious. It really provokes thought to the watcher on how Rebels are pretty much terrorists, and could even push that further into today's politics on whether bombing terrorists (Death Star on Jedda) with risk of civilian casualties is morally right.

10/10 Star Wars film, 9/10 film

11. HuntresS

HuntresS EU Official Server Admin

Holy crap Ben....you knew....somehow you knew...

12. Master Butters

Master Butters

I really don't think what I said outside of the spoilers were big spoilers. Biggest spoiler would have been the CGI faces, but that's not a plot point or anything. Same with the Jyn Erso not being a Mary Sue type character.

It's too soon to tell for Episode 8. They could easily just go back to rehashing the original trilogy, or they could actually build upon what they have already, and move in a new direction.

I just hope that for Episode 8 they downplay (be nice if they just completely didn't, but that's hoping for too much) all the nostalgia shit. And that they don't rehash Episode 5. I liked Rogue One mostly because it did something new. It had some nostalgia shit thrown in, but that can be excused a bit because it's so close to Episode 4.

13. DaloLorn

The Force is with him, always. :p

14. BigBossBigTeef

BigBossBigTeef

Yo
    This movie was metal as F**k. This is the kinda shit I wanted since ep2-3.
    Fucking war, just straight up war.

A whole hour dedicated to battles, actual war in Star wars. Not bullshit romances or an edgy teenager screaming about sand. Actual war.
    This is what I wanted for a long time, and that the clone wars animated was only able to do properly.

Now if only I can get actual war in the clone war era with these kind of cinematics and little emphasis on glowsticks. I want to see a Bridge too far with Clones and droids, Enemy at the gate, Flags of our fathers, Saving private Ryan, ect.

I will settle for a buddy cop comedy with storm troopers on Tatooine if that isn't an option. There is like 30 years worth of content in the EU they can just turn into a movie and declare is a canon again.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2017
  15. PissJug

PissJug

Carrie died on my birthday. I was planning to see it that day with my brother and dad. We went to buy the tickets and they only had 2 seats that were next to each other and for a show a few hours later. My impatient asshat father said screw that and wanted to bail out. So only my brother and I got tickets and we took the old man home. Then we went to Hooters for a pre-movie beer. The exceptionally cute bartender served us our drink while engaging chit chat. While I was trying not to make it blatantly obvious that I was staring at her exposed butt crease every time she bent over the counter or picked something up off the floor, she asked what we were up that day. We said we were going to see the movie. Then Carrie's death was mentioned. She asked my younger brother about Carrie's death and if she was really that old. He replied that she was 60. And I replied almost at the same time, "She was old in drug years." My statement required little clarification.

I really liked the movie. I also really liked the force awakens. Back to dirty old space, were everything looks used and beat up. The only thing I had questions about was where were the Bothans? If many Bothans died to get the death star plans as Mon says in episode 4. Who were they? The planet was not called Both or Bothan. I'm sure there is a canon website that explains this but I could not find it.

Seeing the cgi characters really took me back to the old movies. At the end, it brought me back to reality of how life is precious and stuff yada yada yada, time to find your car and go home, maybe buy an r2d2 droid of my own for my mobile phone. Debbie's death the next day made me think about the cgi even more. How her kid looked n stuff, too many freckles and moles and too sweaty. But none the less, better than most cgi full characters.. They must have taken notes from the Tron Legacy film and really worked on the lips and how they look when speaking. Tron's cgi was great minus the lips of the dude.

I rate it 9 out of 10 space jugs. It would have been 10 if the movie had made me cry. But It didn't. This is a feat only accomplished by Attack of the Clones.

If you are interested in more movies where everyone dies, I would highly recommend: Mean Guns 1997, Dead Man 1995, The Perfect Storm 2000 and Battle Royale 2000.

Cheers

P.S.

I don't see a spoil button, so an admin can add it for me if they want. Or better yet, if you're reading this thread then complain about spoiling the movie.... pull your bottom lip over your head and swallow. If Ford's death in the last movie was such a shocker or even being outed in Carrie's book as one of the biggest supporters of NORML and a cokehead for 3 decades was a big shock to you then you need a moment of clarity and self reflection about how you do not live in reality. The latter was well known since the 80's. You are just not in the know apparently. Maybe the 'dark side' is blocking your clairvoyance to recognize common sense. LOL I joke, but no really, read some books on Taoism, wicca and buddhism before you make 'jedi' as your religion on the next census. Star Wars is freaking awesome, but as a religion you look miss informed, maybe you should look into dudeism.

16. DaloLorn

@PissJug It seems to be a common mistake to attribute Mon Mothma's speech to the first Death Star - it is in fact the second Death Star that is referred to, during Return of the Jedi. (Legends covers that period with 'Shadows of the Empire', which also features such things as Dash Rendar and Xizor's death.)

17. PissJug

PissJug

Ok thanks for clarifying DaloLorn. I appreciate it.

18. Damn Polak

Damn Polak

lol

esp. space vietnam (even the ion m60 operator lol)

the wiki says it's musafar, but they didn't mention the name in the movie, right? when i watched the movie i believed it's a reimagined vjun

it was excellent, star wars needs more serious characters like this

imo it looked a bit fake, definitely not spot-on

he looked kinda like snoop dogg

yeah and it felt kinda wrong for them to dispatch ATATs instead of ATSTs against infantry when the battle started, felt like overkill

i thought he mentioned kenobi

you make it sound like a warcrime, but most of the crew of DS were military personnel
    imo it's not evil, the rebels killed them in defence of yavin 4

it makes more sense with the repeated nuclear explosion scenes
    isn't removing a WMD a worthy cause?

when you think about it, it makes sense why they overwritten the dark forces, the story wouldn't have the same strength with kyle surviving, and creating a new character tied to the engineers allowed the hero to be killed; doesn't really matter she's female

this

anyway, the spacefighter battles were pretty good, the characters were beliveable, overall better movie than 1-3 & 7, not sure how to score it against OT
    the worst thing i've seen was the first glance at CGI tarkin, the best - final K-2SO/stormtroopers firefight

19. Chaos the Chaotic

Chaos the Chaotic

Yeah, I don't know what some people were smoking but Tarkin looked completely fake to me.

Leia was better but sometimes it looked like another face was trying to come through from underneath. Sort of like having 2 faces overlaying/lapping each other.
    Some things didn't make sense but it was still several levels better than 7 and 1-3.

20. KimmyMarin

KimmyMarin US Official Server Admin

leia was so much better than tarkin