Space fight mode

Why don't we play this mode so often?
Is it good or not worth? Does it have any major flaw/issue?

IMG_20180213_191209.png

Cat

>Does it have any major flaw/issue?
In MB2 homing is broken and all homing ordnances are useless. The rest of the flaws is inherited from JKA. Have you ever played any siege space map in JKA?

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
It's really shallow, but is kinda fun in a doofy way. The ships that have four lasers (like the B-Wing and TIE Defender) can weapon mode switch to a four-lasers-at-once shot that can one-shot weaker craft, which is uhh fun.

The Sniperlabs map (another space fighter map) is an interesting proof-of-concept of... basically... Capital Ship battles, in a weird way. By which I mean, you hop in a ship from your "capital ship", fly to the enemy's "capital ship" while fighting their ships, land, get out, and go secure an objective.

But Sniperlabs is just platforms floating in space rather than capital ships, very simplistic. I imagine (based on the performance of Jakku) that MB2 has major performance limitations preventing having any really cool large scale capital ship maps from working very well?

Still, a "capital ship" map better than sniperlabs probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to make, tho thinking about it SniperLabs isn't terrible, it's just kind of... ...... overly-cramped in some spots and overly-open in other spots. Would be cool to see a map that was more or less just two big blocky ugly "capital ships" floating across from each other, with bays to land in / launch from, and objectives to secure in rooms connected to the bays. But it would probably still be weighed down by how ultimately simplistic the fighter combat is...... prrrrrrrrrobably.

It's really shallow, but is kinda fun in a doofy way. The ships that have four lasers (like the B-Wing and TIE Defender) can weapon mode switch to a four-lasers-at-once shot that can one-shot weaker craft, which is uhh fun.

The Sniperlabs map (another space fighter map) is an interesting proof-of-concept of... basically... Capital Ship battles, in a weird way. By which I mean, you hop in a ship from your "capital ship", fly to the enemy's "capital ship" while fighting their ships, land, get out, and go secure an objective.

But Sniperlabs is just platforms floating in space rather than capital ships, very simplistic. I imagine (based on the performance of Jakku) that MB2 has major performance limitations preventing having any really cool large scale capital ship maps from working very well?

Still, a "capital ship" map better than sniperlabs probably wouldn't be terribly difficult to make, tho thinking about it SniperLabs isn't terrible, it's just kind of... ...... overly-cramped in some spots and overly-open in other spots. Would be cool to see a map that was more or less just two big blocky ugly "capital ships" floating across from each other, with bays to land in / launch from, and objectives to secure in rooms connected to the bays. But it would probably still be weighed down by how ultimately simplistic the fighter combat is...... prrrrrrrrrobably.
Sounds like the original Battlefront 2.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Sounds like the original Battlefront 2.
yes that's specifically what i was thinking of. "Capital ship battles" like that are something that people really hoped would return in the new battlefronts but of course they didn't. I think the popularity of the concept probably sources from that scene at the start of Episode 3 where obi and ani fly through a great big space battle and then land on a ship and proceed.

It would be pretty cool to see an MB2 map of the concept, even with the limitations.

But I know it's not MB2's focus at all (hence the limitations), so thinking practically it would be a waste of dev's time. Still would be fun to play with, if it ever happened.

Last edited:

MaceMadunusus

Level Designer
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
that MB2 has major performance limitations preventing having any really cool large scale capital ship maps from working very well?

It might be possible when done properly. I am kinda concepting one out at the moment. Not sure if it will become a reality but I have already made one of the ships and that one ship is like 1-2k triangles lower than most of the more detailed player models we have in the mod. With proper LODs you can get that count much lower as well. If I continue this though I might have to enlist a coder to make some vehicle improvements.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
It might be possible when done properly. I am kinda concepting one out at the moment. Not sure if it will become a reality but I have already made one of the ships and that one ship is like 1-2k triangles lower than most of the more detailed player models we have in the mod. With proper LODs you can get that count much lower as well. If I continue this though I might have to enlist a coder to make some vehicle improvements.
Neato burrito. Fuckin' sick, dawg. Rad. I mean, I'm not banking on that project finishing, especially not any time soon, but I'm glad you're investigating.

Also: Whoa, you have a patreon. If I had an income (s-sooooon....) I'd definitely chip some cash in your direction. How rad would it be if a large chunk of the MB2 community supported you on patreon and you could devote more time to making rad maps and developing Eridan Crisis. How rad. Let me tell you: Super rad.

I wonder if uhh... if that would ever get anywhere near legal issues though, since paying to support your work on the game certainly borders on "paying you for the game," and the game uses Star Wars IP. I suppose that's another reason to look forward to Eridan Crisis: It actually has the possibility of being supported by actual funds, meaning more time could be devoted to it.

Although perhaps part of the reason MB2 is as cool as it is is because it was never concerned with making money. Ahh I'm rambling.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
vehicles definitely need a tune up if thats gonna happen. that includes how dekas function since they are technically vehicles. the current Halo* driving style is kinda clunky imo.

*camera guides movement with no directional keys