Soldier close combat revisited.

This was stripped in a patch recently, I personally felt it was the best state soldier has been in since contact nades.

I would like to see some of it's old functionality returned. Tying it all to melee really makes this ability feel impotent. I would say bring it back on full, or at least up to the point of working with everything except E11 out.

For those who missed it soldier used to have two ranks of close combat at costs 4, 6.

The second rank gave them commander speed and getup at all times in addition to advanced melee.

I already proposed to make CCT 2 cost 26 points. That way you wouldn't be able to choose Reinforcements 2, E-11 Blaster 3 and CCT 2 all together. If this isn't acceptable, then at least give Sold quick get up while in melee with CCT 1.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
I think it should indeed be brought back. It was only truly potent in conjunction with Rally boost. This made Rally a really interesting mechanic. Now we see far less Rally play. Perhaps I'd adjust it slightly by making Rally speedboost weaker for CC2 solds than what it was rather than removing it flat out.

Perhaps even indeed offset it with increasing point cost. This would make it a heavier sacrifice and make it a very calculated choice that is to be paired with Rally and sacrificing survivability/ammo for dropping out Ammo 3/Armour 3.

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
I already proposed to make CCT 2 cost 26 points. That way you wouldn't be able to choose Reinforcements 2, E-11 Blaster 3 and CCT 2 all together. If this isn't acceptable, then at least give Sold quick get up while in melee with CCT 1.
But what's the point of a 2-life fast-moving sold? That seems like an ET with less health.

That's a really good point Ben, soldier/rally rush was super potent and very interesting considering it created a unity between classes unseen anywhere else.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
That's a really good point Ben, soldier/rally rush was super potent and very interesting considering it created a unity between classes unseen anywhere else.
It was a lot of fun to use. The big problem was that it was very strong when there was a single ET and multiple soldiers with CC2. This would be offset by increasing point cost for CC2 to around 10-12 as opposed to the old 6.

This is the kind of stuff I'm very interested in testing out at the least.

Hexodious

Movie Battles II Team
It was a lot of fun to use. The big problem was that it was very strong when there was a single ET and multiple soldiers with CC2. This would be offset by increasing point cost for CC2 to around 10-12 as opposed to the old 6.

This is the kind of stuff I'm very interested in testing out at the least.

I find due to the % of armour you per rank as sold makes giving it up for a permanent movement speed boost a really easy choice at nearly any cost - I think a temporary speed increase would be a more interesting choice and cause people to think about their options more, like nades you'd also have to think about when to use it or risk dying having not using it at all.

So with that in mind I'd take away the point cost of Rally but also take away the HP+Speed boost, making it only act as a spawn point. Instead of giving Soldiers CC2 with permanent speed boosts I'd give them some sort of 10-12 point ''Stim Pack'' special button ability that they can press to give them the HP+Speed boost bonus they used to get from Rally, usable once per life; hell the duration could even be displayed in the unused resource slot for soldier.

Edit: aaaand back to being mega afk for work :(

Last edited:

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Stim sounds like a fun idea! You could even do something like what Starcraft 2 does with marines, where you sacrifice 10 HP to use Stim, but the upside is that you can use it as much as you like. The downside is that it kills you eventually.

Though that does sound more like a villain thing.

Perhaps there could be something that fits the good guys in a similar manner?

k4far

Banned
Donator
I find due to the % of armour you per rank as sold makes giving it up for a permanent movement speed boost a really easy choice at nearly any cost - I think a temporary speed increase would be a more interesting choice and cause people to think about their options more, like nades you'd also have to think about when to use it or risk dying having not using it at all.

So with that in mind I'd take away the point cost of Rally but also take away the HP+Speed boost, making it only act as a spawn point. Instead of giving Soldiers CC2 with permanent speed boosts I'd give them some sort of 10-12 point ''Stim Pack'' special button ability that they can press to give them the HP+Speed boost bonus they used to get from Rally, usable once per life; hell the duration could even be displayed in the unused resource slot for soldier.

Edit: aaaand back to being mega afk for work :(

Make it automatic as you take constant damage, please.

I hate using Hero's dodge. I am giving a lot of my attention and time for minor stuff. I am doing better as I decide not to take the dodge ability at all because I have to activate it manually which is a bother to me.

Last edited: