Smoke Grenades?

• Thread starter Deleted member 3006
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3006

Smoke Grenades for Bounty Hunters? or maybe an alt fire for Thermal Detonator so instead of a big explosion it can be a big smoke bomb? just toying around with the idea but it would be cool to see Smoke Grenades, can possibly help in many situations similar to the Fire Grenade has.

The idea has been played with, and done in the various FA maps. It either doesn't work, or works too well.

We have some maps where the grenades barely do anything, and other maps where the grenades cause a huge vape bus to appear, full of teenagers with too much money, and they smoke out the entire server.

Idea has been done to death at this point, and while I do appreciate the thought put into this, it has no place in gameplay, and hardly anybody would use it anyways. This isn't Counter Strike.

The idea has been played with, and done in the various FA maps. It either doesn't work, or works too well.

We have some maps where the grenades barely do anything, and other maps where the grenades cause a huge vape bus to appear, full of teenagers with too much money, and they smoke out the entire server.

Idea has been done to death at this point, and while I do appreciate the thought put into this, it has no place in gameplay, and hardly anybody would use it anyways. This isn't Counter Strike.

Spoken like a member of the MBII team. Very impressive.

tumblr_oa6zbur5JG1tq4of6o1_500.gif

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Smoke grenades are fairly hard to implement with existing systems. This was looked into about 8 years ago when TK-421 made his replacement pack that added smoke effects to blaster wall hits.

If it's done purely with efx, this can be overriden with a replacement. This means it will need some serious code. Something along the lines of creating a box/sphere inside which the player model's render is faded in and out based on how far away from the center the model is. And that would be a shitty implementation.

Yeah, but the flash bangs are better and would serve as a non stun, non knockdown, non lethal weapon of actual disorientation.
Which would make it a bit more unique.

Variety is the spice of life.

Now if only you could customize arc rockets with fire as well as pulse.

Mandos with sonic rockets! No, sonic gauntlet that would work like flame. You could stream sound at an enemy to make them cover their ears.

Sonic blasters! Primary fire = dmg while Charged Shot = sonic stun on hit.

Sticky nades you can change the timer on.

Yeah, but the flash bangs are better and would serve as a non stun, non knockdown, non lethal weapon of actual disorientation.
Which would make it a bit more unique.

Variety is the spice of life.

Now if only you could customize arc rockets with fire as well as pulse.

Mandos with sonic rockets! No, sonic gauntlet that would work like flame. You could stream sound at an enemy to make them cover their ears.

Sonic blasters! Primary fire = dmg while Charged Shot = sonic stun on hit.

Sticky nades you can change the timer on.
Sonic Grenades that don't go off after 30 sec

Why are they so hard to do well in JA? They work pretty well in any counter-strike. Yeah yeah this is isn't cs blah blah, but you get what I mean.

Because CS:S runs on a much better engine, and CS:GO runs on that same engine, but it's being constantly upgraded to fix bugs by a highly proficient team of people, along with a technical team that is staffed by dozens(if not more) of highly professional people.

IDTECH 3 stopped being worked on as soon as IDTECH 4 came out. IDTECH 3 isn't built to handle that, and to make it handle that stuff without implementing some crappy half-assed smoke effect that kills FPS(as the engine is meant for older computers, even high ends lag when playing this), they'd have to go in and mess with the engine itself, or move it to a new engine, and currently the dev team is understaffed by people with very little time on their hands to do this, so naturally it'd take a fuck of a long time.

That's not even mentioning dev and community attempts at putting this in the game. There have been attempts to make smoke grenades in the game, mostly in custom FA maps. It either is a crappy grenade that doesn't do anything except make a vague smoke screen that's easy to see through, or it makes a giant vape cloud that never goes away, ever.

It's just been done to death, as I've said before. That, and nobody really wants it anyways, and the only people that do are people who are unacquainted with the mechanics of the game, specifically the team play aspect.

That's not even going into how there's a time limit on round, and slowing down the gameplay to a halt with a smoke grenade is only going to make more timewins than anything, but that's only between gunners. A smoke grenade would only hinder both sides if it was thrown. Sith/Jedi on both sides would just run through it and kill the gunners on the other side, quickly devolving the game into a round of 'which team has the better duelists/more Jedi/Sith'.

It has just been done to death at this point. There is NO POINT WHATSOEVER in inserting this useless mechanic into an otherwise feature packed game. End of story. I suppose if you really want it so bad, you could create a new smoke particle effect from scratch, that's compatible with IDTECH 3, and then you could go make your own FA map, with it's own classes, then modify a conc nade to produce the effect for however long you make the effect show up for.

Last edited:
Because CS:S runs on a much better engine, and CS:GO runs on that same engine, but it's being constantly upgraded to fix bugs by a highly proficient team of people, along with a technical team that is staffed by dozens(if not more) of highly professional people.

IDTECH 3 stopped being worked on as soon as IDTECH 4 came out. IDTECH 3 isn't built to handle that, and to make it handle that stuff without implementing some crappy half-assed smoke effect that kills FPS(as the engine is meant for older computers, even high ends lag when playing this), they'd have to go in and mess with the engine itself, or move it to a new engine, and currently the dev team is understaffed by people with very little time on their hands to do this, so naturally it'd take a F**k of a long time.

That's not even mentioning dev and community attempts at putting this in the game. There has been attempts to make smoke grenades in the game, mostly in custom FA maps. It either is a crappy grenade that doesn't do anything except make a vague smoke screen that's easy to see through, or it makes a giant vape cloud that never goes away, ever.

It's just been done to death, as I've said before. That, and nobody really wants it anyways, and the only people that do are people who are unacquainted with the mechanics of the game, specifically the team play aspect.

That's not even going into how there's a time limit on round, and slowing down the gameplay to a halt with a smoke grenade is only going to make more timewins than anything, but that's only between gunners. A smoke grenade would only hinder both sides if it was thrown. Sith/Jedi on both sides would just run through it and kill the gunners on the other side, quickly devolving the game into a round of 'which team has the better duelists/more Jedi/Sith'.

It has just been done to death at this point and at the said point, there is NO POINT WHATSOEVER in inserting this useless mechanic into an otherwise feature packed game. End of story.

what if sabers were visible through the smoke

IDTECH 3 stopped being worked on as soon as IDTECH 4 came out. IDTECH 3 isn't built to handle that, and to make it handle that stuff without implementing some crappy half-assed smoke effect that kills FPS(as the engine is meant for older computers, even high ends lag when playing this), they'd have to go in and mess with the engine itself, or move it to a new engine, and currently the dev team is understaffed by people with very little time on their hands to do this, so naturally it'd take a F**k of a long time.

That's not even mentioning dev and community attempts at putting this in the game. There have been attempts to make smoke grenades in the game, mostly in custom FA maps. It either is a crappy grenade that doesn't do anything except make a vague smoke screen that's easy to see through, or it makes a giant vape cloud that never goes away, ever.

It has just been done to death at this point. There is NO POINT WHATSOEVER in inserting this useless mechanic into an otherwise feature packed game. End of story. I suppose if you really want it so bad, you could create a new smoke particle effect from scratch, that's compatible with IDTECH 3, and then you could go make your own FA map, with it's own classes, then modify a conc nade to produce the effect for however long you make the effect show up for.
I had cs 1.6 in mind, of course cs:s and csgo are different, running on a much more modern engine and all.

I had cs 1.6 in mind, of course cs:s and csgo are different, running on a much more modern engine and all.

CS 1.6 still ran on gold source, which was a heavily modified quake engine. I'd have to read up on how they did the smoke grenades to speak any further of this.

Cool weapon besides the amount of trolling you can do with it.

Easy enough to counter. Limited fuel/battery/energy source, cooldowns between use, etc.
It'd be way too op if you treated it completely like flamethrower. Flames burn, hurt, obscure your vision a bit but they don't prevent you from attacking. It'd be like a flamethrower that would make you flinch...wait....shouldnt fire...make you flinch?:):):)

Kind of gotten lazy, just assume any idea I propose I've already thought of how to balance it to some degree.
Also, don't trust me when I say this, sometimes I lie. Like, what I just said could well be a lie, and thus the truth. Which would make it a lie.

t(-_-)t