SMOD: Name Change

Fuse294

Internal Beta Team
This was brought up yesterday after someone connected to a server with an offensive name, add the option to force* it to "Padawan" as a means of removing a chance for it to be abused. The person will obviously have the opportunity to change it back but the forced change can help serve as a warning if they've refused to change it when first asked, rather than kicking them.

* - This doesn't have to be a command per say, it could be a script that is ran that detects words in names and auto forces it to a default word with a reason explaining that the name was offensive or listed on a blacklist.

I think this is an interesting idea but its value would be limited. I personally don't like that the server would be able to change something publicly identifying about a player and I could definitely see this being used in malicious ways. I believe that for your use case a verbal warning and kick / tempban would suffice.

* - This doesn't have to be a command per say, it could be a script that is ran that detects words in names and auto forces it to a default word with a reason explaining that the name was offensive or listed on a blacklist.
The script would have to use rcon commands to change their name so in the end a command has to be made for it to function.

D

Deleted member 8224

I guess one way this could work is if it was a "hard" command (has no values/custom set) where it only renames them to "Padawan".

But I think warnings suffice, better yet if something like this gets implemented. Would probably also work better if someone were to write a script that detects and kicks bad names.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spaghetti

Floating in the void
R2D2
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Yeah, not sure something so overly specific is worth supporting. If someone is asked to change name and refuses, that's what kicking and banning are for.

If the option were added it would be hard coded to just set their name to Padawan.