Should classes that are the 'meta' be nerfed?

...is this: A) a (thinly) veiled shitpost? B) a poorly executed post?

What is "the meta", people mostly play jedi and hero/BH if they like to snipe, is this what you are on about?

...is this: A) a (thinly) veiled shitpost? B) a poorly executed post?

What is "the meta", people mostly play jedi and hero/BH if they like to snipe, is this what you are on about?
Probably a poorly executed post. It's 1am and I'm tired and just wanted to make a thread post.
And yea, I always assumed the meta is just whatever majority of people play as

Lessen

pew pew
Movie Battles II Team
Classes that are the meta (the most popular) aren't necessarily the strongest classes.

Also class balance is a nebulous concept given that the game is balanced more in terms of teams than in terms of 1v1s. Which is itself a contentious topic. Some people think it should be more tuned for 1v1.

I think Hero/BH (the usual gunner meta I think, aside from saberists) are very individually empowering, but I think if people really pushed the meta harder everyone would be abusing Dodge in public r/n. Or abusing SBD or Deka more.

Noob

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team
Classes that are the meta (the most popular) aren't necessarily the strongest classes.

Also class balance is a nebulous concept given that the game is balanced more in terms of teams than in terms of 1v1s. Which is itself a contentious topic. Some people think it should be more tuned for 1v1.
there is no debate, the rock paper scissors type system we have is already perfect. Team composition is what rules mb2 right now.

If people really followed what is strongest, we would have rally et/sold spam with dodge and nades + 1-3 jedi/sith to push nades. The reason we dont do this is because it is rather mechanical gameplay and requires some sort of team effort.
this

soldierspam is fucking busted and it's a total bitch to deal with when a team decides to do it

I think if people really pushed the meta harder everyone would be abusing Dodge in public r/n.
dodge is busted af even after the nerf, dodge was busted af BEFORE the buff, people seem convinced having a "not dying" button isn't worthwhile

{Δ} Achilles

Banned
Nerd

I think Hero/BH (the usual gunner meta I think, aside from saberists) are very individually empowering, but I think if people really pushed the meta harder everyone would be abusing Dodge in public r/n. Or abusing SBD or Deka more.

It can be tuned for 1v1, 1vX, and XvX by focusing on a more skill-oriented system. Rather than focusing on numbers and a stupid rock-paper-scissors concept.

Also the meta in competitive is, and always has been, grenade spam. Meta in open is and always has been sniper spam and jedi spam.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Meta should not be nerfed. It's not that simple of a question.

Do we like the current meta? Does it provide fun and varied gameplay? If something in the meta is too prominent and results in gameplay that is not fun, what can we do to improve it?

There are ample tools for this and it's all about identifying the core issues before choosing what to do. You might instead want to buff something to counter-play the meta. Another solution is to make something that is already strong simply more fun and attractive to play. Solutions like these breed variety without taking away from existing meta if there are fun aspects to it already.

Games often have "sleepers" which are features/abilities/strategies that are under-used in the current meta, but are in reality very strong. Players not using them can stem from something as simple as it not being discovered yet or it being boring or uninteresting. This is something @Gargos was alluding to.

Seeing Saber/Sniper meta for instance might not be directly from the classes themselves. Perhaps the map's design favours classes with these types of toolkits more than classes without them? Perhaps they're more cooler to play? Maybe they are easier to play, but don't have a skillceiling that is as high as for another class?

Small instant action maps like Smuggler for instance make snipers less common place as there aren't that many situations where you'll need to use a sniper. On the opposite side of the spectrum there are maps like Coruscant Chase which always makes most of the imp team roll mandalorian or Duel of the Fates where both teams pick a lot of snipers.

Class limit at 1/3rd of team pop., rounded up if not an integer would be great (or some other value).

Class variety, a metric for balance and more interesting rounds in one single change. Glorious.

I can't wait. Debs lemme know when this is going live.