Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Hello kittens,
Following the success of - started on 25 October 2015 - RPi| FA [RTV] EU, I'm turning the less-popular sibling (RPi| Open [RTV] EU) into new project - RPi| Competitive [RTV] EU. As of 6 February 2016, this one - Just like FA variant - becomes 24/7 MBII server, sporting Open mode of MBII, with small (yet important) changes of rules, making it so-called Competitive type.

Special rules:
1. *One* representative of each allowed per team. MB2 have 7 classes per team, and this server is 14 slots one (7 vs 7 max). At full server, it means that every class should be represented. Playing 2 same classes in one team (for example, two Jedi in Rebels or two Siths in Empire) is against the server rules - if such situation happens by accident, players need to fix it until start of next round. Ignoring this rule will be penalized by being removed from game.

2. If class that you would like to play is occupied, *kindly* ask to free it, or/in case of denial - wait, playing other class. No class sharing is implemented, it works as first come - first served.

3. Heavy teamwork is expected. It means that, amongst other:

a) Unlike regular open servers - unjustified using of !p (for accidental TKs) will be penalized. TK system remains in place (albeit with elevated limits, compared to FA older sister) just to allow self-moderation in absence of admins. In case of admin being present, TK system is unnecessary, as the server will be more strictly regulated (and troublemaker kicked at first sign of miss-behaving).

b) "Jokes" like kicking teammates at start, or other forms of slowing deployment to positions/handicapping HP won't be tolerated. Competitive mode isn't easy, and you're expected to stay focused.

c) AFK auto switch to spectator is short (60 seconds), and even despite that, you're expected to go into spectator even for short AFK situations (and temporary leave server for longer ones, to free slots)

d) Any kind of derailing teamwork by heated argues, catfights, or harassing will be moderated more stricly than on regular servers - resulting, most often, in removing both offenders. If someone tries to harass you, ignore him. If admin is on the server, situation will be dealt with (if the problem is manifesting itself on team channel, and admin is in opposite team, inform her/him). If not, situation will be dealt with at due time.

Extreme examples of harassing/flaming - reported by players - will be checked in logs, and temporary or permanent bans "awarded".

4. Keeping teams balanced is a must. In uneven situation, you're expected to join team with lower number of players, no matter what. Then, and *only* then, you may kindly ask someone to swap, if willing to. In case of teams being uneven, players have until start of next round to fix the situation. After that time, player responsible for uneven teams will be removed from game.

In situation of joining when teams are even, you're expected to join team that lost the round before you've joined (so be prepared to pick approriate class from either Rebels or Imperials, then act quickly based on result). Acting otherwise will result in being removed from round - repeated offense will be penalized by removal from game.
---

RTV/RTM:
RTV

Address:
Code:
/connect estel.linkpc.net:30005

Numer of slots:

Maps:
For RTV, all main + CMP ones are available, minus the non-star wars themed cmps (zombiehorror, looking at you). No umad or moviepack.

TK limits:
400+ for kill
700+ for kick

Roundlimit before map change is 15 wins for either team, or 28 rounds passed (draw possible).

Servers use - and always will use - mainstream MBII settings, aka no modified classes, changed gravity, or other nonsense. Just the MBII Open experience you're familiar with and craw for, spiced up by competitive mode. Bye bye, jedi/sith spam!
---

Server curiosities:
In real-life tests with players fighting on servers, the machine hosting it uses around 1W of power (0.20 A @ 5V). It makes total power use around 700Wh (0.7 KWh) per month, amounting to less than 0.5 USD per month of energy cost, depending on your area charges for electricity.

Raspberry PI 2 have 4 cores - in this setup, I've isolated 2 cores, and dedicated one of them for each server, completely. From my experience, one unit (costing 25$ + microUSB power supply able to 5V 1A or 2A if want to be on safe side - for example, any modern phone charger) can comfortably host up three servers with 20 slots each. With some tweaking, it can host four servers (the 4th one - sharing CPU core with operating system - need lower sv_fps and possibly less slots, to not choke said core to 100%). The cores separation work great - during one test, I was compiling MBII on remaining 2 cores (100% usage), without players on server-dedicated cores even noticing. The real limit is connection (both download and upload) that you're willing to dedicate for servers.

Servers have safeguards restoring RTV (and servers themselves) upon crash/power loss, so uptime should be close to 100%. They're hardened against DDoS, and server by 100 Mb synchronous fiber connection - nothing less of real botnet should be able to scratch them. If you're able to DDoS successfully (and explain method used, preferably giving tips on how to defend against that kind of attack), you have my blessing and thanks.

Both servers are served (pun intended) by FOSS (Free and Open source) software only, save for MBII itself (shame) and some binary kernel blobs from broadcom (low level hardware handling). Operating system is Raspbian (Raspberry Pi specific version of Debian), with systemd removed. I fully and whoreheartly support Devuan, and will be surely switching to it, (not only for servers, but on all my home and production machines) when project release first official version.

After/during releasing MBII for RPi builds, I'll include full tutorial on how to set it up (from raw RPi straight from the shop), hopefully allowing everyone to host any number of MBII servers, for very low cost. Power to the people! ;) By playing on current RPi servers, you're contributing to determining best settings, to be adopted by many others in future.

There are offers from respectable collocation centers (google for it) for as low as 3$ per month fpr hosting Raspberry Pi server on 100Mbit upload connection, without data transfer limit. It is great way to fully utilize this marvelous device, for hosting up to four 32-slots servers, without upload connection being saturated (which would probably happen on any home network ion such scenario).
---

Now - as last paragraph, cause it is place for most honorable and important things - I would like to thank, from the deepest of my heart, all players who contributed to testing those servers, on first day (Sunday) and during following days, before this announcement. You guys patiently waited out all my restarts, helped fighting lags and regressions when I was tweaking settings, and played the hell out of it since first hour, allowing me to reach best-working equilibrium in no time - You guys rox! I'm not listing you by names - cause it would be too long, and I wouldn't like to miss someone - but you know who you are, if you're reading this.

It is really motivating to do hard work on hosting, hardening, and bullet-proofing MBII servers, when one have dedicated players like that. Thanks, again!

/Cat Lady

Last edited:

Cat Lady

Movie Battles II Team Retired
Following update to 1.4, I've enabled experimental anti-ghosting system on RPi Competitive. Basically, when dead after round and in spectator, you cannot move freely, and you can spectate *only* members of your own team (if you "jump out" of someone, you can't move).

While in certain cases it would be still possible to do limited ghosting (staying as immobile spectator in some important area and forwarding info of what you see), it still should remove 99% of typical ghosting use-cases.

I think it fits the spirit of competitive server, so enjoy and have non-ghosting fun ;)

Cheers,
/Cat Lady