Quick Question

With all the new players I've unfortunately experienced a significant drop in fps.

Does auto-recording demos impact performance. Would it be better to disable it? Would there be an improvement or does it depend?
I know there are other settings I can tinker with but I'm not touching those. I'm only interested in this particular one and people that know or have experienced increased performance by disabling it.

I'll never turn off glow, never! You won't make me!

I've played this game and demoed it with toasters of the most questionable conditions. I'm pretty certain demo recording has a very small effect on performance.
It's time to go low-poly, my friend.

ent

Movie Battles II Team
Recording demos doesn't eat FPS at all. More models in game - more details to draw - that causes the FPS drop.

And glow is like the most unoptimized feature in the game. Seems like Raven made it as experiment feature w/o much testing. It is the cool effect ofc, but not sure it is worth to have it enabled for purpose when FPS gets dropped.
As an alternative for dyn glow you may try qeffectsgl renderer that brings bloom effect.

Fps wise, not much difference. The only thing I did notice, but maybe it was the server, was the load times to connect or on map changes were shorter and more crisp.

GoodOl'Ben

Nerd
Donator
Movie Battles II Team Retired
Recording doesn't affect performance. You're best off trying to lower graphics, resolution etc.

No. It's all the new players. We must get rid of them!
So many more glowsticks with dynamic glow on are eating up my resources. My precious resources!

If I turned it off I'd probably be able to handle more than 5 people on my screen or one glowstick up close without my fps crumbling into an epileptic episode:)

But then, I need to give people a handicap so...woe.